U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 9,450 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm back here again with more questions after a long discussion with my husband last night. I want to live closer to the Johnson City area so I can be closer to the grocery store, our homeschool group, activities for the kids and ETSU for my son, who will be taking dual enrollment classes. I would also be willing to drive into N.Carolina to do shopping and I recently learned there is a university in Boone that I could look at for dual enrollment options. Eventually, I also want to open a coffee shop in either JC or Elizabethton. My husband is a fly fisherman and he wants to live on some land with water in his backyard. He doesn't mind driving an hour to reach JC. I do. He is currently looking at Butler, TN, which appears to be about 45min-1hour away from JC. We cannot seem to come to an agreement on an area that will satisfy both of our needs. I don't want to drive an hour away to get to civilization, he is not willing to sacrifice land and water for proximity to town. Could you all provide us with some locations that would meet his criteria for living on some land with possible water access (he LOVES the Watagua) and would meet my criteria for not having to drive more than 30 min. to get to town? Does such a place exist? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:20 AM

20 posts, read 21,632 times
Do you want to live on waterfront property itself (expensive), or have close access to water, like the lake or a river? (I foresee some compromise coming here...)

Old 12-27-2015, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 9,450 times
He would like to be on the river if at all possible.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:18 AM

On the river? CHA-CHING! Forget milk... got money?

I would look to the SW side of JC, on the Nolichucky River near Taylor Bridge Road. The Nolichucky is sourced from streams and I think would be better for fly fishing than the Watuga river (dams) (IMO, but it depends on what type of fly fishing your worser half is looking for).

http://middletennesseeflyfishing.com...River-2014.pdf

Fishing

That area would still be within striking distance of JC. Or at least better than Butler. All my opinion of course.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Oh, also add Erwin to your list. Quaint little town, it's a freeway ride into JC.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:20 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,463 times
If he likes the Watauga, why not try Watauga, TN?
https://goo.gl/maps/ciLoWDebzxG2

Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 AM

503 posts, read 868,732 times
Ask your husband what happens if you buy a house on water, and it's a crappy fishing spot (pun noted, but not intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>