U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,061 times

Advertisements

I have a strong desire to move to the Tri-Cities area of TN around the end of March, 2016. I currently live in Titusville, FL and its just too darn hot and humid for me. I am a clinical herbalist and hypnotherapist so my business can go anywhere I go. I would love to find a small house, to rent, where I could see clients and sell my herbal remedies and whole organic herbs. If anyone knows of a community that supports complementary and alternative medicine practice or any practitioners that are interested in adding herbal medicine therapies to your business, please contact me.
I will also be seeking a part-time position, preferably in the health and wellness or education industry. I have been a substitute teacher for the last 3-4 years but I would prefer to teach about health and wellness topics, especially the use of herbs as drug-free alternatives for health & wellness.
I'm in my mid-50's and will be moving by myself so a safe community is a must. Any referrals or information is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 AM

31,552 posts, read 25,637,314 times
Have you ever been to the Tri-Cities? What do you know about it?

The herbal medicine and organic herbs says Asheville, NC all the way. There may be a small market in the Tri-Cities for it, but probably not a lot. I would come in thinking you'd have to work full time and do this kind of thing on the side.

I highly doubt you'll find any employment regarding herbalism in the school system - that's not what the schools are really looking for.

You need to secure your employment before you move and then work the herbal business around that. Don't come up here hoping to just open the business with little money in hand and not much of a plan. The Tri-Cities is not a good employment market and I don't think you'll get enough herbal business to survive.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:51 AM

674 posts, read 939,590 times
Johnson City would be your best bet in the Tri-Cities. It is by far the most open-minded city in the region and your business would have the best chance of finding a customer base there.

Asheville might seem to be the best fit but I would guess the market is pretty saturated in your field.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:41 PM

311 posts, read 343,966 times
Asheville sounds like much more of the area for you, I think you should consider it highly over the Tri-Cities.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 9,079 times
We moved from Jensen Beach, FL. to Jonesborough TN a couple of years ago for my husbands job. Looking at this as an 'outsider', since I 'aintfrmrounhare'. They like their way of life, they don't want it to change and will probably not encourage anyone to move to the area. Never mind them, once you move their Southern hospitality kicks in. In the 70's there was a large influx of what I can only describe as 'hippies' who are now aging out in their 60's and 70's. Go to the farmers market in Jonesborough on Saturday mornings, old people in tye dye and purple tights abound Lol. Aside from that the families are old and have lived in this area for 200 years, God and family are everything to them. If you don't have family in the area then join a church. If that doesn't appeal to you then maybe start out in Asheville and visit surrounding communities until you find the one that feels right. I had a local lady tell me, 'they are nice....to a point' it was great advice.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM

503 posts, read 867,628 times
Asheville is outrageously expensive, and if you bump into a tree 2 or 3 herbalists/hypnotherapists will probably fall out of it (along with 10 massage therapists).

Old 01-15-2016, 03:28 PM

423 posts, read 1,329,798 times
I'm a natural healing follower and just wanted you to know that there is a growing following here for herbs and natural remedies. There are several great homeopaths here, my favorite- De. Charley Ward at Women's Nutritional Health Center. If you do move here, stay in touch. This region needs what you offer.

QUOTE=Serious Conversation;42421607]Have you ever been to the Tri-Cities? What do you know about it
The herbal medicine and organic herbs says Asheville, NC all the way. There may be asmall market in the Tri-Cities for it, but probably not a lot. I would come in thinking you'd have to work full time and do this kind of thing on the side.

I highly doubt you'll find any employment regarding herbalism in the school system - that's not what the schools are really looking for.

You need to secure your employment before you move and then work the herbal business around that. Don't come up here hoping to just open the business with little money in hand and not much of a plan. The Tri-Cities is not a good employment market and I don't think you'll get enough herbal business to survive.[/quote]

Old 01-19-2016, 05:20 PM

14,036 posts, read 8,332,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueseidler View Post
I had a local lady tell me, 'they are nice....to a point' it was great advice.
Who was she referring to?

Old 01-23-2016, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,429 times
I am from NY and Its was a year last month that we moved here and I would have to say this part of TN is one of the worst places I have ever lived. I have met very few people that were actually respectful. I thought moving here it would be great southerners have great hospitality heard nothing but great things. I get moved here run to Walmart quick and was looking for a shovel an asked a lady who seem to be in her 60s or older where it was. She looked at me and said they were all out and didn't know when they would be getting. I mean she was all attitude about it. Me being from NY and having a attitude already didn't help. I smiled and told her if she didn't like her job to just stay in bed.
Jobs are horrible here. Everything closes when it snows a little. People on the cell phones all the time not paying attention an causing accidents. This place has rudeness all over it. I caught on quick to just smile and keep walking. These people are like stuck in thier own time zone.
Don't get me wrong I have meet a few nice people but I decided it's a waste of time to get out and socialize. I guess I am to different and belong back in NY sometimes.
Military life isn't the best life in my eyes.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:34 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,245,627 times
Do you realize what would happen if responsible businesses didn't close when it snows? I thank them because it makes it better for folks that have to get out.

You generally get what you give around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>