U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM

17 posts, read 34,772 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband is a letter carrier with the USPS. There is a transfer available to Kingsport and we are seriously considering the move. Tennessee has always been a place we have wanted to move to. We are from Idaho (originally from California) and we're just tired of the cold! My husband loves the idea of being near the Smoky Mountains and it just seems like a great place to have a family. We have two children, a girl 10 and a boy 7. So schools are important. What are the schools like? How is the community towards non-Tennessee people? Are there good family activities and things to do? Oh and my husband was wondering about the rain, if it rains a lot, if it's every day, does it come in spurts or rain all day sort of thing? This is because he would be working outside.

I so appreciate everyone's input. I am so looking forward to beginning this adventure!!

Last edited by countrydeb22; 01-19-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,756,459 times
The rain is probably a little different than Idaho. I haven't lived in East TN in almost 5 years, but what I remember is occasional summer storms/downpours (BIG ones!), some smaller rains, etc. It's typical "inland" weather patterns in that there are very rarely long-term rain events unlike cities closer to the coast -- in TN, most of the time, rain and sunshine occur in the same day.

There's a good bit of rain (a lot of greenery to keep green!) but a LOT of sun. Tennessee is by far the sunniest place I've ever lived.

Kingsport has good schools, just make sure you know which school your kids would be going to and check the ratings. The community is also welcoming to outsiders. Eastman Chemical employees thousands of people in Kingsport, and many of them are engineers, chemists, scientists etc. from all over the world. Johnson City is 30 minutes away and has East Tennessee State University, Quillen College of Medicine, and a VA Hospital, all of which also bring in folks from all over the world.

The Tri-Cities is a really great place to raise a family. The economy is decent -- not exactly growing, but holdings it own in these tough economic times. If you will also be looking for work, it could take a few months (or longer) for you to find gainful employment. Sales tax hovers close to 10% (lower for food) in most upstate communities. There's no state/local income tax, except on certain investment income. Food prices in general are fairly expensive compared to surrounding regions. Housing prices are middle of the road.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 34,772 times
Thank you so much for the honest replies. I appreciate it.

One thing I've been reading is about the smell from the factories? But a lot of the comments seem to be from several years back. Just wondering how it is present day, the smell and the quality of air. My only concern is because my husband works outside and he has allergies that often affect his breathing here so it might be a factor.

Thank you again so much!

Old 01-19-2016, 02:11 PM

18 posts, read 14,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrydeb22 View Post
Hi! My husband is a letter carrier with the USPS. There is a transfer available to Kingsport and we are seriously considering the move. Tennessee has always been a place we have wanted to move to. We are from Idaho (originally from California) and we're just tired of the cold! My husband loves the idea of being near the Smoky Mountains and it just seems like a great place to have a family. We have two children, a girl 10 and a boy 7. So schools are important. What are the schools like? How is the community towards non-Tennessee people? Are there good family activities and things to do? Oh and my husband was wondering about the rain, if it rains a lot, if it's every day, does it come in spurts or rain all day sort of thing? This is because he would be working outside.

I so appreciate everyone's input. I am so looking forward to beginning this adventure!!
Hi, I'm a retired letter carrier in Kingsport. I transferred here 24 years ago from New England and it was the best move that I have ever done. My kids were 13 and 11 at the time, so schools were important. The school system here is very good. There are a lot of family activities for kids, especially during the summer time. My family never had any problems being welcomed. The only problem was my accent, which everybody seem to love. The weather is great. Summers are hot, falls are mild, winters we see very little snow, and when we do, it does not last, springtime is great. We do get rain, but most of the time it comes and goes quickly, the other times it last for a few days. The cost of living is cheap compare to other parts of the country. The Smoky's are not far and their is a lot to do in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville. I spent my whole career delivery mail and compare to New England, this is heaven. The Post Office itself is pretty good, lots of great people and a lot of them are from different parts of the country. I see you are from Idaho, I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB back in the 70's. Wanted to move there but the wife did not want to cross country. Good Luck and hope everything goes great for you and your family.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:47 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,950,985 times
The city schools are strong. The county schools are hit and miss. There are good ones in the county but even they will typically lack some of the programs/opportunities of the city schools.

As for rain:
CITY, STATE ANNUAL % AVG POSSIBLE SUNSHINE
KNOXVILLE, TN 56%
BOISE, ID 64%
SEATTLE C.O., WA 43%
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...pctposrank.txt

You're coming from one of the highest sunshine places to an average sunshine place. Although a good portion of these days are overcast and not necessarily rainy.

How do you feel about humidity. Because if you haven't experienced August in the South, you might be in for a shock.

The community is very accepting as long as you don't complain about the community or try to change the culture. Basically if you accept the community, the community will accept you.

There are a lot of outdoors type things to do - also a lot of Church and school activities.

Hope I covered everything.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,950,985 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the honest replies. I appreciate it.

One thing I've been reading is about the smell from the factories? But a lot of the comments seem to be from several years back. Just wondering how it is present day, the smell and the quality of air. My only concern is because my husband works outside and he has allergies that often affect his breathing here so it might be a factor.

Thank you again so much!
This is very specific to certain areas of Kingsport. I'd say this concern is limited to 10% of Kingsport and 1% of the TriCities area.

You should be concerned about allergies as you would be coming to the pollen capital of the world. Actually Knoxville won the honor, but we have all the same variables.

This allergy season nothing to sneeze at - CNN.com

Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 PM

33 posts, read 35,054 times
Quote:

Countrydeb, I know your post is 2 years old but I was wondering if you ever made the move. We are trying to decide between Boise suburbs & Knoxville. Was leaning more towards Boise due to the proximity to CA, but the less "winter" and cold I have to deal with the better! I hope you respond

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,796,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatpraylovemom View Post
Countrydeb, I know your post is 2 years old but I was wondering if you ever made the move. We are trying to decide between Boise suburbs & Knoxville. Was leaning more towards Boise due to the proximity to CA, but the less "winter" and cold I have to deal with the better! I hope you respond
Countrydeb22 hasn't logged into the forum since 3-16-2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or