Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 07:25 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,657,883 times

Advertisements

I am considering switching carriers from Verizon to Straight Talk with Straight Talk's "Bring Your Own Phone." I was hoping to hear from anyone who might have made this switch. I am posting here in Tri-Cities because I heard that some of the local transmission towers Strainght Talk uses were being repaired and service locally is hit or miss.
If you made this switch I would like to hear from you. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 AM

311 posts, read 394,525 times
Honestly you don't want ANYTHING to do with the TracFone companies. It's a mess and I used Net10 which is owned by TracFone and also owns Straight Talk and I had nothing but problems. Customer service was TERRIBLE, it's all handled overseas and twice I waited over an hour on hold to talk to somebody. I had to turn to Facebook support which was useless. I basically kept burning through SIM cards and Net10 could never figure out why, so I kept having to buy them and wait until I get a new one in to fix my service. Finally I ported out to T-Mobile and even that was a pain because they rejected my port and T-Mobile had to call them and to fix it which took a while.

Do NOT go with TracFone, Net10, Straight Talk... If you have one issue it's near impossible to get fixed as you have no customer service or people that have any clue what they are doing.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,993,317 times
Stray from Verizon or AT&T at your own peril.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,597,314 times
I've been happy with T-Mobile but you can drive for miles in SW VA with no service. I've never had a problem in the TriCities or while driving on interstates.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM

311 posts, read 394,525 times
I'm also happy with T-Mobile, it works fine unless you travel to the very rural areas around here. Which I never do really so it's not an issue for me to have service in the middle of nowhere since I never go there.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:29 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,657,883 times
Thanks for the posts.
I have talked to a few people since I posted. I spoke to one person who said he had Verizon and his wife had Straight Talk. He was happy with Verizon and his wife happy with ST. I heard more on the towers being worked and generating problems for ST users.
While talking to a Verizon rep about closing my account I was told Verizon was rolling out a new prepaid 5G plan for $60 + tax of course. I decided to go with this plan and hope to talk to more ST customers. ST is $45 for the same plan but I opted to stay with the old reliable for now.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,105,114 times
Maybe I am a lucky one, but I have used Straight Talk for years and never had an issue, especially for the money. I have a friend that uses it as well and she loves it. I do not make many calls though, which may be why I have not had any issues. lol.

My smartphone is aging however, so the phone itself is having some speed issues, plus the fact that I have 1700 photos in it does not help. lol. I plan on upgrading soon however to a nice phone, probably one that cannot be used on that service.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 18,568 times
YALL ARE LUCKY. I can't get any cell service and frontier is so slow I can't even watch youtube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol