U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 PM

692 posts, read 1,277,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
My thinking lies the opposite range. The schools performing poorly need fewer standardized tests. We already know they're performing poorly. Reduce their paperwork and bring in the additional aids to these schools.

I'd agree that schools especially in rural NETN need more classes on practical life skills. What are credit cards, how do they work, what is a credit score, how does it affect your ability to borrow money, etc. What are the actual employable degrees, how to succeed in college, etc. How to live on $15,000 a year (a very important topic in low wage rural areas...) How to recognize drugs, how to identify when somebody is tweaked out. What drugs do to your body and your finances. Not taught by a stiff shirtwaist cop, but preferably by somebody with specialized training in counseling.

Bottom line is schools in NETN pay bottom dollar, so they tend to attract the worst teachers. Just like any other industry. It is what it is. No testing needed to understand getting what you pay for. We run our teachers ragged trying to gauge their effectiveness when it's absolutely not necessary.
Here is the problem- it wont work

We have decades of research regarding DARE and similar programs. This includes changes in curriculum, focus, and instructors. Practically none of it works. The only educational type program like that which works deals with gang resistance education.

The problem with the rest of your suggestions is the motivation to learn the material. Research shows that we learn what we are motivated to learn. For example, Teaching retirement strategies to kids isnt effective, but it is effective once people grow older and actually care about it. We as adults realize that credit scores, debt, etc. is important- but the kids dont realize this and I dont think you can make them realize this. As far as success in college, practically every community college and university now has a college 101 type class. ETSU will start requiring that class for all incoming students next year. I think Northeast already does. This has shown to have moderate success, depending on how it is done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:27 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,966,464 times
You are right regarding motivation and that's exactly the way I would want to gear the Senior Seminar class.

By the time you're a second semester senior in high school you need to have any idea of what you want to do in life. So...

Month 1: Develop your Goal... I want to be a Dr. I want to be an educator. I want to deliver pizza. I want to pump septic tanks. Whatever. I know of folks that started as a septic tank pumper and are now highly successful in that business. I know people that crush rocks and make as much as doctors. Just having a goal is the key to motivation.

Month 2: Determine the skills required to achieve your goal. Start attaining said skills, now.

Month 3: Learn about the barriers to achieving your goal. Capital, government, kids, deadbeat husband/wife, drugs/alcohol, etc

Month 4: Develop a "Life Plan" for the next 5 years.

Right at the end they need to talk realistically about how much things cost (rent, cable, cell phone, various utilities, groceries, transportation, tuition, etc). Add a healthy fear of credit/debt in all its forms.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:24 PM

I actually think that there is a lot of merit to what you are saying. Dedicating the required class time is not realistic given how much the state currently stresses testing- but we agree that needs to change.

My full time job is teaching college at ETSU. I help with new student orientations, academic advising, and teach classes ranging from freshman intro classes to senior capstone classes. I am passionate about students knowing what they want to do. However, I also see how often people change majors or get to their last semester with no idea what they want to do. Over half of my seniors have no idea what they want to do after college- even though they have gone through a diverse range of classes within the discipline. Frankly, one of the problems is that we have far more students than there are jobs available locally and most do not want to move.

If you had asked me during high school what I wanted to do, it would have been a mortician. My freshman year of college I thought I would be a computer programmer. My senior year of college I thought I would be a probation officer. That led to teaching and selling real estate. My point is that it is very difficult to predict what your interests will be at 18 years old. Perhaps something like you are talking about in high school could help that.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM

28,536 posts, read 21,393,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
I actually think that there is a lot of merit to what you are saying. Dedicating the required class time is not realistic given how much the state currently stresses testing- but we agree that needs to change.

My full time job is teaching college at ETSU. I help with new student orientations, academic advising, and teach classes ranging from freshman intro classes to senior capstone classes. I am passionate about students knowing what they want to do. However, I also see how often people change majors or get to their last semester with no idea what they want to do. Over half of my seniors have no idea what they want to do after college- even though they have gone through a diverse range of classes within the discipline. Frankly, one of the problems is that we have far more students than there are jobs available locally and most do not want to move.

If you had asked me during high school what I wanted to do, it would have been a mortician. My freshman year of college I thought I would be a computer programmer. My senior year of college I thought I would be a probation officer. That led to teaching and selling real estate. My point is that it is very difficult to predict what your interests will be at 18 years old. Perhaps something like you are talking about in high school could help that.
I had few complaints regarding ETSU itself, aside from parking and the other usual BS, but having graduated during the recession out of the business school, there was virtually no useful advisement on labor market conditions - what was hot in the area, what wasn't, employers of note, etc. Sure, there were listings of job posts on print-outs from an old dot matrix printer that were pages long, but who knows if those were current, if the companies were still hiring, if they were entry level, etc. Even in private conversations with a couple of the big names in the business school, I got no frank feedback until I actually graduated - I worked an odd schedule and would sometimes schedule an office visit with some of the professors.

All the area schools need to do better on resume writing, stressing internships and experience, being frank about the local labor market, and start helping graduates on how to conduct a national job search.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:14 PM

667 posts, read 826,683 times
During my time at ETSU most people I knew loved the area and would have loved to stay after graduation had they found a job. It seems this would be a major selling point to a company looking to locate to the Tri-Cities; having a large pool of college graduates to recruit from and no need to sell the quality of life of an area relatively unknown to the rest of the country. Not to mention higher productivity from employees who truly love living where they work.

There has always been a disconnect between ETSU and the labor market in the Tri-Cities that is improving but is still a major issue. Eastman has been here for nearly 100 years and yet has no real formal relationship with ETSU. ETSU needs to break out of the "regional university" mold and take an active role in regional economic development. The only strong connection between ETSU and the local labor market is on the medical front. This has to change.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 8,615 times
We need better,bigger business' that will hire and draw in more people. I hear constantly about the new developments downtown and its nothing but bars! Ask yourself this-other than drinking/eating....what is there to do in this town? I realize we have "the outdoors" but I'm talking about things like theaters and cinemas and arcades/go-kart tracks/mini golf...outlet malls...something....ANYTHING...to draw outsiders to this area. We have nothing. Why would anyone want to spend time in boring old Johnson City when they can go to Bristol or Pigeon Forge?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,780,071 times
Quote:
The problem with the rest of your suggestions is the motivation to learn the material. Research shows that we learn what we are motivated to learn. For example, Teaching retirement strategies to kids isnt effective, but it is effective once people grow older and actually care about it. We as adults realize that credit scores, debt, etc. is important- but the kids dont realize this and I dont think you can make them realize this
That's a valid point. Still, in my high school (Greene County) we had none of this education whatsoever. I think the only life lesson I learned was how to write a check. Really? I haven't written one since I left high school, I don't think. We also had NO drug education whatsoever after DARE ended in sixth grade. The drug problems in my schools didn't really start until 8th grade, and ballooned in 9th/10th. I wonder if there are any programs that continue into these crucial years and if the evidence bears them out to be effective.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:38 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,780,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBATMAN View Post
We need better,bigger business' that will hire and draw in more people. I hear constantly about the new developments downtown and its nothing but bars! Ask yourself this-other than drinking/eating....what is there to do in this town? I realize we have "the outdoors" but I'm talking about things like theaters and cinemas and arcades/go-kart tracks/mini golf...outlet malls...something....ANYTHING...to draw outsiders to this area. We have nothing. Why would anyone want to spend time in boring old Johnson City when they can go to Bristol or Pigeon Forge?
Uh, why would anyone want to go to Bristol over Johnson City?

Pigeon Forge is not a place to live, it's a place to be entertained. Johnson City's strength is as a livable community, one of the most livable in northeast Tennessee. There is a decent theater. Downtown just announced the opening of a new retro arcade, and the Tweetsie Trail is going to become / is becoming a premiere outdoor activity for the entire region. The breweries, whether or not you like them, are also blossoming JC into "the" social hub of the Tri-Cities.

No idea about go kart tracks or mini golf. That stuff was in the Tri-Cities when I was a kid, but seems like for whatever reason, all of it has went by the wayside. Probably because everybody goes to Pigeon Forge to get that fix, then leaves that gaudy mess behind and returns home once they've blown through a couple hundred bucks.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBATMAN View Post
I HATE pigeon forge and I hope that Johnson City never even tries to become like that.

Downtown Johnson City now has an arcade opening soon, and several specialty type stores. We also are going to have a performing arts center which will hopefully bring more cultural opportunities in the city. We absolutely need a mini-golf in JC, and I believe it would do well. I actually saw recently a gofundme account trying to raise money for a mini-golf in JC. Perhaps it is at least something that is being thought about by someone with the resources to do it.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That's a valid point. Still, in my high school (Greene County) we had none of this education whatsoever. I think the only life lesson I learned was how to write a check. Really? I haven't written one since I left high school, I don't think. We also had NO drug education whatsoever after DARE ended in sixth grade. The drug problems in my schools didn't really start until 8th grade, and ballooned in 9th/10th. I wonder if there are any programs that continue into these crucial years and if the evidence bears them out to be effective.
That is something that the new drug education has tried to address. There have been dozens of attempts at changing things, doing refresher courses in later grades, etc. Very solid studies which compare the students from these programs compared to those who had no programs show no difference in drug use. The only impact it has (which I don't discount the importance of) is an improved attitude toward police officers. This is important for several reasons, even when it isn't really a purpose of the drug education programs.

Having the programs in place also helps the perception of the community that the schools are trying. Some people think that this perception is important even if the results are pessimistic. I guess everyone has their own point of view regarding that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or