U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 PM

12 posts, read 8,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Uh, why would anyone want to go to Bristol over Johnson City?

I'm not a NASCAR fan myself,but that IS an attraction(a couple of times a year)and it DOES generate a great deal of money for Bristol and the surrounding business'. Not to mention all the recent retail developments that have gone in in Bristol....between Tinsletown at exit 7 and the new Marquee Cinemas theater at The Pinnacle,Bristol has become THE place to go to see movies,Bass-Pro has a very nice restaurant/bowling alley....sad fact is,theres a lot more to do in Bristol than there is in Johnson City. JC is stagnant and has been for years....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:11 PM

12 posts, read 8,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
I HATE pigeon forge and I hope that Johnson City never even tries to become like that.

Downtown Johnson City now has an arcade opening soon, and several specialty type stores. We also are going to have a performing arts center which will hopefully bring more cultural opportunities in the city. We absolutely need a mini-golf in JC, and I believe it would do well. I actually saw recently a gofundme account trying to raise money for a mini-golf in JC. Perhaps it is at least something that is being thought about by someone with the resources to do it.

We dont have to become as large as Pigeon Forge,but we would do well to develop some family-friendly entertainment options for kids and young adults....we need something to do in JC besides go get drunk and sit around in parking lots at night.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 AM

2,163 posts, read 3,964,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBATMAN View Post
I'm not a NASCAR fan myself,but that IS an attraction(a couple of times a year)and it DOES generate a great deal of money for Bristol and the surrounding business'. Not to mention all the recent retail developments that have gone in in Bristol....between Tinsletown at exit 7 and the new Marquee Cinemas theater at The Pinnacle,Bristol has become THE place to go to see movies,Bass-Pro has a very nice restaurant/bowling alley....sad fact is,theres a lot more to do in Bristol than there is in Johnson City. JC is stagnant and has been for years....
JC right now is the opposite of stagnant. Did Bristol go out and buy the favor of some national retailers? Sure. But what about local business? I don't see much growth in Bristol on that front, which is sad. Bristol really had its eye on the ball for a while - improving downtown and encouraging local start ups like Blackbird Bakery.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bristol. Steel Creek Park may be the best municipal park in east TN. But day to day JC has much more going on. There's a strong music scene, new local businesses starting every month, year round athletics at ETSU, a business incubator, medical growth, the area's only thriving indoor mall, new community center.

There is even the opportunity for the sprawling national retail that you seek. All it will take is for one or two dominoes to fall and Boones Creek or Gray will get a new theater / Costco / multiple big box stores. While nice, those kind of developments are fleeting. They are here today sparkly and shiny. In only ten years or so, they are just old dull box stores. I remember when everyone (myself included) was so excited JC was getting a Best Buy. I haven't been in that store in 5+ years. I was the same way with Barnes & Noble. Now, I'd much rather be able to go to a local downtown coffee shop / bookstore with some actual character and I buy all my electronics on Amazon or Craigslist. Check that, I'd rather loan out a book at the library, walk to Fizz Soda Bar, eat ice cream and drink a quality craft soda, while watching people walk their dogs up and down Market Street.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 AM

28,477 posts, read 21,364,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
That is something that the new drug education has tried to address. There have been dozens of attempts at changing things, doing refresher courses in later grades, etc. Very solid studies which compare the students from these programs compared to those who had no programs show no difference in drug use. The only impact it has (which I don't discount the importance of) is an improved attitude toward police officers. This is important for several reasons, even when it isn't really a purpose of the drug education programs.

Having the programs in place also helps the perception of the community that the schools are trying. Some people think that this perception is important even if the results are pessimistic. I guess everyone has their own point of view regarding that.
I think the biggest way to combat drug use (which is a serious problem in the rural areas) is parental involvement and encouragement to keep their kids off drugs. Schools can do something, but if there is no reinforcement of that message at home, you're probably going nowhere.

When looking back at the people I know who became involved in heavy drug use, the majority of those didn't seem to have much positive parental guidance growing up. This doesn't mean they were stupid people - most of the druggies I know are actually quite bright, but their parents were inattentive when growing up, they ran with the wrong crowd, and that continued well into adulthood. A friend of mine from high school died as a result of drug complications back in December at 29.

Quote:
We dont have to become as large as Pigeon Forge,but we would do well to develop some family-friendly entertainment options for kids and young adults....we need something to do in JC besides go get drunk and sit around in parking lots at night.
There's considerably more to do in JC than just lay smashed all the time. There are often concerts at the Hideaway and Acoustic Coffeehouse. There's a pretty good restaurant and cultural scene for a city its size. ETSU has sporting and cultural events - granted, it's not NYC or professional sports, but it's something to do.

I agree the area needs more for high school age kids to do outside of church to keep them off the streets. There are a lot of church based activities, but otherwise it's slim pickings, especially in Kingsport.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 AM

185 posts, read 236,978 times
It is a requirement for HS students in Tennessee to take a Personal Finance class before they can graduate. Government and Economics are also a state requirement.

The classes aren't super awesome, but do teach the basics of some of the mentioned things, like credit score, budgeting, career plans, etc. Government and Econ cover the basics of how local, state and national government works and econ is just a overview of GDP and stuff like that.

However, it goes to motivation to retain this after the semester long class is over. Some do the bare minimum to pass the class and promptly forget it, as little pertains to their life right then.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 AM

185 posts, read 236,978 times
I have no problem with "entertainment" options available in JC for my kids that live here, ages 13-22. In fact, we end up so busy that we have to often veto some things because of time constraints.

However, we are involved (not helicopter though) parents that encourage our kids to try new hobbies and activities a lot. Not all kids have parents that encourage or even at a minimum support this type behavior. Some is financial, some is work schedules and all that, but I can't blame the community as a whole for not offering enough. I blame a combination of marketing and parent disinterest.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:32 PM

12,754 posts, read 7,103,677 times
Quote:

As an outsider who has visited the area 3 times starting in 2013 I don't know how you can call JC stagnent. You must have a bias because Johnson City today is totally different than it was on my first visit just 3 years ago.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:25 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,776,331 times
Quote:
I forgot about NASCAR. That's a good point.

I grew up and lived in the Tri-Cities for 23 years and I just never would think to go to Bristol for shopping or movies. I'm sure a lot has changed since I lived in east TN last in 2012, but I wonder how much Bristol is able to draw from Johnson City?

Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM

667 posts, read 825,761 times
Quote:

I grew up and lived in the Tri-Cities for 23 years and I just never would think to go to Bristol for shopping or movies. I'm sure a lot has changed since I lived in east TN last in 2012, but I wonder how much Bristol is able to draw from Johnson City?
Per some recent numbers not much. Retail sales are up among all three of the Tri-Cities and it was stated that The Pinnacle did not seem to be cannibalizing sales from Johnson City. Kingsport might have seen a greater impact, though. I know they lost Pier 1 to The Pinnacle but I think that's it. JC continues to draw new retail as seen with the recent openings of Academy Sports, DSW, and Monkees and I don't see that really changing. The Pinnacle is mostly stores that either already exist or have an equivalent in Johnson City. The ones that are unique to the development aren't exactly destination stores either (Bass Pro excepted).

Old 03-09-2016, 02:43 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,964,106 times
Quote:

The theater at The Pinnacle is a huge draw and has opened to rave reviews. I'd say a significant number of JCans are making that drive. The Carmike is long overdue for upgrades. I can't believe JC doesn't have a better theater yet.

I'm sure some folks make the trip for Bass Pro as well, but I'd guess most of these folks were going to Bass Pro in Kodak prior to the Pinnacle so nothing lost for JC there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or