U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:36 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,105,900 times

Advertisements

What is the theater situation in JC? Just in the mall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 8,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What is the theater situation in JC? Just in the mall?

Dismal. The only first-run theater in JC is the Carmike over by the mall...it is terribly run. Then there is Real-To-Reel which is a dollar theater and is also run down and terrible....the drive to Bristol for either Tinsletown or the New Marquee Cinemas is the way to go....not only are they cheaper,but Marquee may hands down be the nicest theater in our neck of the woods....I think its even nicer than the Regal Imax in Knoxville.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
Real-to-Reel isn't run down. It's an old theater that shows second-runs, arthouse films, and (when I lived there) even hosted a few movie festivals. A theater like Real-to-Reel, with its lower entry cost and greater flexibility than a corporate-owned theater, is a huge community asset. Weren't you the one complaining earlier about family friendly activities??? What's more family friendly than going to see a kid's movie for a dollar?! Come on, dude.

I'd agree that Carmike is past its prime. It's got several screens (8? 10?) but it just doesn't compete in today's world. I'm surprised Regal hasn't moved in and built a nice complex in Johnson City similar to its downtown Knoxville or Turkey Creek locations. It's good to hear that the area does have a nice theater in Bristol, though. That could definitely improve the flow of sales tax dollars through dinners and movies.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 PM

691 posts, read 1,276,426 times
Here is the thing about Carmike- it is absolutely packed most nights and especially weekends. They could make renovations and make it nicer, but what is the incentive for that when they have no competition and people (like myself) would much rather go to it than drive to Bristol? I do agree that a Regal coming in would probably put Carmike out of business. I personally really like Reel to Reel. Seats are comfy, tickets and concessions are cheap, they can host affordable birthday parties for kids and almost always have a children's movie running for this purpose. I believe they also run films created by ETSU students sometimes.

Finally, let's not forget that we have 2 drive in movie theaters. The one in Bluff City runs two movies back to back for one admission's price and I just love the setting. They are quite popular.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 PM

667 posts, read 825,984 times
With the opening of The Pinnacle, I really hope it encourages Carmike to renovate or replace the theater in JC. Johnson City would be the perfect location for a Cinebistro or a similar concept. Also I would love to see a new theater constructed downtown that could show indie films and ETSU student films. A small, one-screen deal similar to the Majestic and Tennessee theaters that were demolished.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
Pretty sure Carmike just sold out, so who knows what's coming...

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 PM

12,407 posts, read 15,992,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Real-to-Reel isn't run down. It's an old theater that shows second-runs, arthouse films, and (when I lived there) even hosted a few movie festivals. A theater like Real-to-Reel, with its lower entry cost and greater flexibility than a corporate-owned theater, is a huge community asset. Weren't you the one complaining earlier about family friendly activities??? What's more family friendly than going to see a kid's movie for a dollar?! Come on, dude.
See, I did not realize that, I thought it was basically second run and kiddie movies. Tri-cities really needs to learn the value of PR, but I've been saying that for years!
I'm not far from the pinnacle and from all the comments I've heard the theater is the best thing to hit this area since the invention of sliced bread. Most of the twenty and thirty somethings I talk to find it to be a big draw for the weekend, and traffic out that way shows a definite increase!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:14 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,105,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBATMAN View Post
Dismal. The only first-run theater in JC is the Carmike over by the mall...it is terribly run. Then there is Real-To-Reel which is a dollar theater and is also run down and terrible....the drive to Bristol for either Tinsletown or the New Marquee Cinemas is the way to go....not only are they cheaper,but Marquee may hands down be the nicest theater in our neck of the woods....I think its even nicer than the Regal Imax in Knoxville.
That is kind of surprising given the size of JC. Where we live we need to drive 30 minutes to the closest big town, the identical size to JC by the way, to go to the movies. So I guess a drive to Bristol won't be so bad. But this is surprising.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:43 AM

185 posts, read 237,024 times
While I agree that the Carmike in JC could use an overhaul or even a new theater in general, it's not the worst movie theater I've been to by far. My biggest issue is the setup of the seats in relation to the screen. Just a weird layout in each of the individual theaters. The seats are not bad, good size and mostly comfortable, with armrests that can be raised and lowered and have a cupholder.

Reel to Reel is a very good deal for the price. They show movies that have been out for a few weeks already and the concessions are good value. It's "eh" for comfort and cleanliness, but I have seen MUCH worse. (Have any of you had the pleasure of attending a movie on an Army post lately? LOL)

The theater at the Pinnacle is currently the newest and best. The amenities are pretty awesome. However, we tend to decide on a whim to go to a movie, so it's just usually better for us to stay in JC and see it at the Carmike, instead of making the drive. I'm sure there are a decent handful of other JC residents that have a similar view.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:00 AM

667 posts, read 825,984 times
Quote:
The theater at the Pinnacle is currently the newest and best. The amenities are pretty awesome. However, we tend to decide on a whim to go to a movie, so it's just usually better for us to stay in JC and see it at the Carmike, instead of making the drive. I'm sure there are a decent handful of other JC residents that have a similar view.
I also think a lot of people like to make an evening out of going to dinner and a movie and this isn't really an option at the Pinnacle. There are a couple fast casual and fast food places but that's it. Johnson City has a huge advantage in this regard. I'm sure Carmike is paying close attention to how the new theater is affecting their numbers and will do what is necessary to maintain a competitive edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or