U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,890,619 times

Advertisements

I went down to Greeneville last weekend, and since I live right off Greenwood Drive I decided to take the back way, down route 67 and onto the 107 Hwy.

Since it was a beautiful, mild day, I took some shots. This SW part of Washington County around Garbers, Mt. Carmel and Clark's Creek is often overlooked, but it's beautiful at the foot of the mountains. I also took a couple after I crossed over into Greene Co. in the Chuckey area, and the three at the end are of my family's farm in Afton.

Picasa Web Albums - Jabogitlu - Garbers / Chu... (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,206,016 times
Enjoyed the photo tour very much, thank you. I've driven Cherokee Rd. (Hwy. 67) many times but have only been as far as Fender's Farm on 107, I need to explore the stretch between there and Tusculum/Greeneville.

Looks like your parents' home is in an idyllic setting!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM

83 posts, read 234,696 times
Beautiful country ! It reminds me a lot of here, in Vermont. I do think we will be right at home there !

Your parents place is just gorgeous ! The setting couldn't be more perfect .

thanks for taking the time to take the pics and sharing them.

Melissa

Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,699,243 times
GREAT pictures! Thanks for sharing. I do have a question though. You mention Mt Carmel, is this an area or creek in that area? I know you can't be referring to the town of Mt. Carmel as that is in Hawkins county. I have been down that road many times, have friends that live off 107. I can't say I have ever heard of Garbers either. Are these like neighborhoods or farm land that are named that? I know there are a lot of areas within town boundaries that have names long time locals refer to an area as but I never can figure out where a lot of these places are. Sorry, just trying to learn here.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,890,619 times
Hey Yeah, I totally forgot about Mt. Carmel up closer to you, or I would've explained. There is a church down on the 107 near Clark's Creek called Mt. Carmel, and a lot of people over the years have taken to calling that area Mt. Carmel, too. Sort of like "Midway" - we have about 50 of those in east TN, lol!

Garbers is unincorporated, but there are signs up. As for the exact boundaries, I'm not sure. I know that it starts on Greenwood (67). There is another unincptd. community right close there but I am totally blanking on the name.

I have heard Washington County residents refer to this entire area as Limestone, but we who grew up in Greene County know better.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,699,243 times
OHHH!!! Ok, Now I think I know more of where you are speaking of. I remember driving by that church and said to my husband: "Hey that church is in the wrong place, it is sopposed to be in Hawkins county" hahhaha (guess you had to be there).

Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 AM

67 posts, read 222,945 times
What a beautiful area. Thank you for posting the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol