U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 12:48 PM

6,706 posts, read 10,135,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The former Sears has great square footage that could be reused for smaller tenants.

Publix locating as an out-parcel would give it a freestanding store with a pharmacy drive thru.
I agree--I drove by the Sears store today. It is pretty freakin huge! I'd say at least 100,000 square feet. Publix could take about half, and be satisfied, I would guess.

Nice structure though--it will be a terrific space for the right retailer--or mix of retailers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 AM

294 posts, read 262,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I reached out to Fort Henry Mall's owner, Hull Property Group, which is based in Augusta, Georgia. I was curious about the "current and future" state of the mall, and their plans. Much to my surprise, they got back to me within an hour by email. I had emailed the marketing and leasing divisions.

They said they are pursuing "large restaurant retailers to locate not only in but around the parcels of the mall." I listed several options that could work for the vacant Sears store, and they agreed that they were pursuing "tenants like these currently--stay tuned for the near future."

Some options I listed for the Sears store were:

Publix
Bed Bath and Beyond
Marshall's
regional furniture chain

Options for restaurants in and around the mall:
Outback Steakhouse
Red Robin
Red Lobster
Dunkin Donuts
Taco John's
Taco Mac
Krispy Kreme
Cinnabon
etc..

So, we will see. It sounds like things are in the cooker to attempt to jumpstart the mall. He did mention in the reply that they are "very optimistic about the brand new NCG Cinema, Dunham Sports coming in September, and Rue 21 opening up again.

Sounds promising, but we shall see over the next year...

Kripsy Kreme already has a pretty new location not far from the mall so that won't happen. Red Lobster won't happen either as they aren't doing so well now and aren't expanding in fact the group that owns Red Lobster is downsizing and closing locations. Dunkin Donuts already has two locations in Kingsport and I don't think right now they are looking at a third. I'd love to see Publix in Kingsport and I think they will eventually come here and rumors have it they are looking now but I don't see the mall happening, they just don't seem to build in malls and I think they will choose a spot elsewhere. All of those others on your list may be possible though.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:55 AM

20,541 posts, read 21,180,976 times
Red Lobster is not doing well? I have heard the opposite since it was divested by Darden Restaurants. Darden Restaurants placed too much emphases on less successful brands Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Red Lobster is not doing well? I have heard the opposite since it was divested by Darden Restaurants. Darden Restaurants placed too much emphases on less successful brands Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse.
Sales were declining the highest at Red Lobster and their stores were older and in worse shape. That's why Darden sold them off. Olive Garden and Longhorn weren't losing sales as much and the stores on average were newer and more up to date. So yeah Red Lobster was the black sheep of the family and unless whoever owns them now has turned the ship around I doubt they are doing better. I've seen them close locations but not open new ones.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 PM

20,541 posts, read 21,180,976 times
Darden Restaurants expanded Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse quickly. Opening up quantities of low quality locations strained both banners and Red Lobster. Selling Red Lobster allowed Darden Restaurants to recoup its expenses and work on stabilizing and improving Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse.

Locations that have closed were dual-branded Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants. Without Red Lobster, the dual-branded locations lost most of their businesses.

Red Lobster has been performing well lately.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 AM

182 posts, read 213,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

The mall needs something fresh and modern. I'm personally not a fan of Outback (Chop House wipes the floor with it), but I could see a Red Lobster doing fairly well. Dunkin, Krispy Kreme, all that could conceivably do well, but those places really need a drive-thru.
Despite recruiting efforts, incentives, and wish lists when push comes to shove a restaurant - especially a chain - will look at the demographics. the local economy and traffic patterns to make a decision. Here's an example. I like motorcycles, but the Baby Boom generation is rapidly aging out of their biking years and Generation Xers are mountain bike fans. In other words, I wouldn't bet on the profitability of a motorcycle business. This same rule applies to other services and products.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:03 PM

6,706 posts, read 10,135,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Kripsy Kreme already has a pretty new location not far from the mall so that won't happen. Red Lobster won't happen either as they aren't doing so well now and aren't expanding in fact the group that owns Red Lobster is downsizing and closing locations. Dunkin Donuts already has two locations in Kingsport and I don't think right now they are looking at a third. I'd love to see Publix in Kingsport and I think they will eventually come here and rumors have it they are looking now but I don't see the mall happening, they just don't seem to build in malls and I think they will choose a spot elsewhere. All of those others on your list may be possible though.
Well, I think a good coffee option would work for the mall, no matter what chain or local one it is.

Also, I think a good store choice could be Stein Mart for the Sears space, as well. There are a lot of options that are not in Kingsport currently, and I think if the management markets it well, they can pivot off of the recent successes with landing the new theater and the Dunham sports store.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:03 AM

99 posts, read 310,798 times
These ideas seem great and i think they are really making great steps towards revitalizing the mall. I do think they need to step outside the box to bring people to the mall. I suggest something like main event in knoxville or a dave and busters would be great for the mall. It could even use the existing sears and build out into the parking lot. I think this would even help the theaters as well because it could tie in the dinner and a movie and not to mention give a nice place for hanging out after a movie for a drink or bowling.

https://www.mainevent.com/#

Old 09-01-2017, 07:57 AM

99 posts, read 117,908 times
There is already a coffee shop in the mall and it has been there for at least 10 years now, Nutty Java.

As for the Stein Mart idea, the mall owners also own the Auburn Mall in Alabama and have worked the past couple of years to bring it back to life with the same treatment of removing all interior kiosks, covering up vacant space with walls/murals, redoing the entrance/exterior facades, etc. Auburn Mall recently lost their Sears store as well and it has now been replaced with a Stein Mart. So seeing that Ft. Henry is getting the Auburn treatment, I could definitely see Stein Mart taking that Sears space. Other malls have filled their vacant Sears/Macy stores with the furniture and interior design store At Home. It could also be an option.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Well, I think a good coffee option would work for the mall, no matter what chain or local one it is.

Also, I think a good store choice could be Stein Mart for the Sears space, as well. There are a lot of options that are not in Kingsport currently, and I think if the management markets it well, they can pivot off of the recent successes with landing the new theater and the Dunham sports store.
There is a coffee shop already in that mall across from Sears, it's been open for years and seems to be doing well. Also Stein Mart won't be happening they just had a terrible quarter and lost money and sales are down. They won't be opening anymore stores if anything they will be closing some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or