Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 PM

311 posts, read 398,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yes, this is a fantastic idea! I've said it all along, that Publix should locate there. Once they demolish the Sears store later this summer/early fall, Publix should have a clean slate to build a brand new store. Either this location is ideal, or the Kmart store spot on Stone Drive. Once Kmart leaves of course--only a matter of time....
Send Publix a Facebook message and/or email then about the idea. They do listen to feedback and location suggestions actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Totally agree here. Food City has taken over Kingsport, and oddly I feel like they have a hand in influencing the city to discourage other grocery stores from coming to Kingsport--at least that's my theory LOL.

Within about a one mile radius of where the current Food City store is located on North Eastman Road and Ft Henry Drive, as recently as about 10 years ago, there were 4 thriving grocery stores. The grocery stores were Winn Dixie, Food City, Oakwood and Food Lion. Now, only Food City is there, servicing that whole area of Kingsport.

The demand for more grocery stores in Kingsport is high. Publix would do very well there...
That's what I think as well, you basically only have Food City right next to the mall. Walmart isn't far down the road, either of them. Kroger is pretty close but you're right its a smaller and more dumpy store. Aldi and Ingles are a bit down the way. So no their isn't many choices for a grocery store in that area and it's pretty populated and in a good spot. Publix would be a great in that location.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Send Publix a Facebook message and/or email then about the idea. They do listen to feedback and location suggestions actually.
I did email one of the real estate directors for Publix last night, regarding the Kingsport location. Unfortunately, she emailed back and said that Publix has decided to put Kingsport/Bristol expansion plans on hold until further notice. She said they are reconsidering these plans, at least for right now.

This is unfortunate. She did not mention the Johnson City store, but I emailed her back asking if it was also on hold. Hopefully not. Really disappointing news.

I think their expansion plans into the Tri-Cities region might've been hampered by their choice to oddly open the first debut store in Greenville, TN, where I've read sales have been very light, not surprisingly.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
I did email one of the real estate directors for Publix last night, regarding the Kingsport location. Unfortunately, she emailed back and said that Publix has decided to put Kingsport/Bristol expansion plans on hold until further notice. She said they are reconsidering these plans, at least for right now.

This is unfortunate. She did not mention the Johnson City store, but I emailed her back asking if it was also on hold. Hopefully not. Really disappointing news.

I think their expansion plans into the Tri-Cities region might've been hampered by their choice to oddly open the first debut store in Greenville, TN, where I've read sales have been very light, not surprisingly.
An article came out several weeks ago regarding attempts to reunify the Tri-Cities under one common MSA banner. The long and short of it is that it won't happen due to the commuting flow patterns.

I think the lack of one MSA is a big contributor as to why Publix, mall-based retailers like Dillard's and Macy's, and even Costco are unwilling to open stores in the area. If you were to combine both MSAs and the surrounding counties, you're getting within close striking distance of 500,000 people. I'm not sure how practical it is to have far-flung communities in Washington County, VA, like Meadowview, to be in the same MSA as Flag Pond. With that said, most of the population, and certainly most of the population with disposable income, is in Washington-Sullivan -Washington counties.

Nearly 500,000 looks a lot better than sub 200,000 and sub 300,000 cut two different ways. I think there is definitely enough affluence in the Tri-Cities together to support one of a Macy's or Dillard's. The store would go to Johnson City, but there are still some reasonably affluent people elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:45 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
An article came out several weeks ago regarding attempts to reunify the Tri-Cities under one common MSA banner. The long and short of it is that it won't happen due to the commuting flow patterns.

I think the lack of one MSA is a big contributor as to why Publix, mall-based retailers like Dillard's and Macy's, and even Costco are unwilling to open stores in the area. If you were to combine both MSAs and the surrounding counties, you're getting within close striking distance of 500,000 people. I'm not sure how practical it is to have far-flung communities in Washington County, VA, like Meadowview, to be in the same MSA as Flag Pond. With that said, most of the population, and certainly most of the population with disposable income, is in Washington-Sullivan -Washington counties.

Nearly 500,000 looks a lot better than sub 200,000 and sub 300,000 cut two different ways. I think there is definitely enough affluence in the Tri-Cities together to support one of a Macy's or Dillard's. The store would go to Johnson City, but there are still some reasonably affluent people elsewhere.
I did see that article. I agree--I think it holds the Tri-Cities area back for the most part. Johnson City has benefitted the most from being separate MSAs, at least regarding the landing of more diverse retail, restaurants and shopping overall.

And I do agree that there is a lot of upper middle class/well off/wealthy folks in the Tri-Cities that could easily support and cater to many higher end retail or restaurant establishments.

A 500,00 metro population is sizable, and to put into perspective, it's more than the metro area populations of Lansing, MI, Reno, NV, Corpus Christi, TX, Shreveport, LA, Ft Wayne, IN, for example.

I think it's a great thing to have the Tri-Cities consolidated again.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Are the development bigwigs at Costco really dim enough not to look past flawed MSA boundaries? I would have to think they are brighter than that. They likely have advanced analytics and decision processes.

The lack of density when they count rooftops inside of a circle probably hurts more than anything.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Are the development bigwigs at Costco really dim enough not to look past flawed MSA boundaries? I would have to think they are brighter than that. They likely have advanced analytics and decision processes.

The lack of density when they count rooftops inside of a circle probably hurts more than anything.
I'm not saying that it's the only factor, but I definitely think it's a contributor. There really is no central city to coalesce around like Fort Wayne. Still, JC is a much nicer place than Fort Wayne, which is heavy industrial and Rust Belt.

FWIW, the Fun Fest store has moved away from the mall and is now in the Chamber of Commerce downtown.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I did see that article. I agree--I think it holds the Tri-Cities area back for the most part. Johnson City has benefitted the most from being separate MSAs, at least regarding the landing of more diverse retail, restaurants and shopping overall.

And I do agree that there is a lot of upper middle class/well off/wealthy folks in the Tri-Cities that could easily support and cater to many higher end retail or restaurant establishments.

A 500,00 metro population is sizable, and to put into perspective, it's more than the metro area populations of Lansing, MI, Reno, NV, Corpus Christi, TX, Shreveport, LA, Ft Wayne, IN, for example.

I think it's a great thing to have the Tri-Cities consolidated again.
Ultimately, you really don't need enough affluent people in just one metro proper IMO. Think about Macy's. It would locate in Johnson City, but would be enough of a draw to bring in more affluent customers from Kingsport and Bristol, and perhaps a handful more from farther out. Everyone knows I don't like Kingsport. Still, there is a fairly significant affluent population in Kingsport proper and some Sullivan County neighborhoods. Those people would patronize Macy's or similar, even if it was in Johnson City.

An "economic common market" doesn't necessarily need to be based on rigid commuting patterns. That two MSA deal, when it is really one "economic common market," retards growth and attraction of additional businesses. What they see are two small metros with no cooperation. One MSA could generate an administrative "unified front" where each city could showcase its "best of breed."

Until that happens, I really don't see places like the Fort Henry Mall going anywhere. We need a major change in local economic development thinking to dig places like Kingsport out of their ruts.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post

From what I understand lack of income and Walmart's/Sams Club strong market share here is why Costco will likely never come to this area. Costco goes to nicer/higher income areas and quite frankly this area doesn't have enough for that for them.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Ultimately, you really don't need enough affluent people in just one metro proper IMO. Think about Macy's. It would locate in Johnson City, but would be enough of a draw to bring in more affluent customers from Kingsport and Bristol, and perhaps a handful more from farther out. Everyone knows I don't like Kingsport. Still, there is a fairly significant affluent population in Kingsport proper and some Sullivan County neighborhoods. Those people would patronize Macy's or similar, even if it was in Johnson City.

An "economic common market" doesn't necessarily need to be based on rigid commuting patterns. That two MSA deal, when it is really one "economic common market," retards growth and attraction of additional businesses. What they see are two small metros with no cooperation. One MSA could generate an administrative "unified front" where each city could showcase its "best of breed."

Until that happens, I really don't see places like the Fort Henry Mall going anywhere. We need a major change in local economic development thinking to dig places like Kingsport out of their ruts.
Department stores are struggling now, Macy's isn't really expanding in to new market areas. Especially in this one as Belk (and to a lesser extent Kohl's) dominates the department store market share in this area. I don't see Macy's ever coming here especially since Chat and Knoxville don't even have one and have no plans to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol