U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 AM

29,166 posts, read 21,986,945 times

Advertisements

The mall needs something to make it a destination. A Publix or different kind of restaurant could really sell the place. At this point, it needs people coming there more than anything. If there is a lot of food traffic to a restaurant or whatever, that's going to give potential tenants for the interior of the mall more confidence.

I think there's a big empty spot for "things to do" in Kingsport. Johnson City and even Bristol have been getting new restaurants and things to do for awhile now. Kingsport has fallen behind. The Pavilion is dated and is nowhere to spend an evening - you basically go into the store you need to go to and leave. There's really nowhere in Kingsport that you can eat and do something at. If the mall plays its cards right, I think there's a great opening right now to bring it back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 PM

302 posts, read 284,827 times
Update: Sears is now being torn down and one side of the building is already gone, Charley's opens tomorrow. The Ice Cream shop isn't ready yet but my guess will be soon.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 PM

7,135 posts, read 10,428,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Update: Sears is now being torn down and one side of the building is already gone, Charley's opens tomorrow. The Ice Cream shop isn't ready yet but my guess will be soon.
I drove by there early evening tonight. I saw that one whole side is almost demolished. Wow, that store will come down really fast, now that they have started.

Also, at the corner of Fort Henry and Memorial they have dug out a huge section and removed that bad looking minimal flower bed/landscape. I *think* they are putting in a much-needed and highly visible new sign there. That's a great plan if so.

The 2 new restaurants going in--Charley's Steakery and the ice cream store--are really great to get the momentum started (hopefully) with other new stores coming back to the mall.

I was in JCPenney in late September and 2 of the cashiers there told me that they heard "a big rumour" that Chik Fil A had been looking at the mall again as a possibility. Now THAT would be the huge destination boost the mall needs. Especially if a new location went in beside the movie theater and next to Victoria's Secret there. Probably a rumour only at this point, but man, I hope there is some substance to it.

The owners of the mall are investing millions into its new development and redevelopment. They would not sink so much money into a site if they didn't do some research into the retail/restaurant potential. Kingsport is under served in key restaurant areas, and could use a couple more destination retail spots as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I drove by there early evening tonight. I saw that one whole side is almost demolished. Wow, that store will come down really fast, now that they have started.

Also, at the corner of Fort Henry and Memorial they have dug out a huge section and removed that bad looking minimal flower bed/landscape. I *think* they are putting in a much-needed and highly visible new sign there. That's a great plan if so.

The 2 new restaurants going in--Charley's Steakery and the ice cream store--are really great to get the momentum started (hopefully) with other new stores coming back to the mall.

I was in JCPenney in late September and 2 of the cashiers there told me that they heard "a big rumour" that Chik Fil A had been looking at the mall again as a possibility. Now THAT would be the huge destination boost the mall needs. Especially if a new location went in beside the movie theater and next to Victoria's Secret there. Probably a rumour only at this point, but man, I hope there is some substance to it.

The owners of the mall are investing millions into its new development and redevelopment. They would not sink so much money into a site if they didn't do some research into the retail/restaurant potential. Kingsport is under served in key restaurant areas, and could use a couple more destination retail spots as well.

I have not heard anything about Chick-Fil-A but I have heard rumors that Publix and/or Marshall's is maybe interested in the former Sears location. Publix is a long shot I think since the Greeneville store isn't doing so well and Bristol has been canceled and JC is delayed. I just don't see it happening but Marshall's I could totally see and they've been doing well in Bristol.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 16,304 times
I also heard from a mall worker that Chick-Fil-A was going in the mall also. He also told me that McDonald's was thinking of leaving from across the street and build a new one in the parking lot. Reason for that was the one their now is to congested. Don't know if there is any truth to it.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM

438 posts, read 369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor58 View Post
I also heard from a mall worker that Chick-Fil-A was going in the mall also. He also told me that McDonald's was thinking of leaving from across the street and build a new one in the parking lot. Reason for that was the one their now is to congested. Don't know if there is any truth to it.
That would be a shock. There has been a McDonald's at that location I would guess at least maybe 50 years. That goes back to the days when the McDonald's signs had a spot for how many burgers had been sold.

Though looking at the satellite view, I can see the lot is pretty cramped. If they can't buy out the Long John's, it likely makes sense for them to move. Long John's is struggling nation wide, so maybe it would be for sale at the right price.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM

7,135 posts, read 10,428,627 times
Quote:
Interesting...haven't heard that but I'm sure McDonalds would probably do more business in the mall lot, with a brand new store.

Fort Henry is at a point right now where they could position themselves as a hotspot redeveloped destination shopping experience for the area--similarly as The Pinnacle has been the past 2 years, and how Johnson City's State of Franklin area has been several years before that.

Kingsport is sort of primed for a new, shiny shopping experience, and I think if positioned right, the mall could build and build and become somewhat as the "it place to go" for the Kingsport area.

My suggestions would be--
a) Add Chik Fil A, Dunkin Donuts, and a candy/carmelcorn shop back inside the mall. (or similar brands)
b) Continue slowly rolling out and infilling retail inside the mall with a few lesser known brands or even mom and pop shops here and there.
c) Lure in a major retailer or combo of retailers onto the old Sears spot--namely Marshall's or Stein Mart.
d) Lure in 3 or 4 stand alone restaurants to build around the mall, in the lot--like Moe's, Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, Steak n Shake, Bob Evans, Ruby Tuesday, Red Robin, etc.

With the economy on fire right now, and the mall's redevelopment in high gear, and the existing renovations looking great, the mall should push as much as it can to open new restaurants and retail as soon as it can.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The problem is Chick-Fil-A has generally wanted out of mall's due to many mall owners pushing for them to open on Sunday and this is exactly why they left the mall. The old owners kept pushing them to open on Sunday's and of course none of their locations will ever do that, so they left. Now the new owners seem to be much better and more flexible with tenants so that may have changed now.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
c) Lure in a major retailer or combo of retailers onto the old Sears spot--namely Marshall's or Stein Mart.
Stein Mart is facing store closures and a potential bankruptcy lol so it's for sure not going to be them!

Old 10-19-2018, 12:54 AM

100 posts, read 121,621 times
Does anyone have any photos of the Sears demolition?

The company who owns the mall opened a Stein Mart last year in a former Sears at their Auburn, AL mall location. That move really brought life back to the dead side of that mall. Another thing they did to their Auburn mall was bring in an Ole Times Country Buffet & BBQ which opened this fall. That mall also just lost their JC Penny back in the winter, thankfully we only lost the Sears. This company seems to follow the same trends for all of their properties when you look at what they do after buying a dying mall. Dunham's Sports is one of their go to stores. So maybe we can get an Ole Times Country Buffet or the Stein Mart

Last edited by setnick; 10-19-2018 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or