U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,198,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I nearly busted out laughing that they want to make it a "fashion type mall." Kingsport has a lot of old people and it's certainly not fashionable in any sense.
Right! Really ridiculous. The whole lack of thought and understanding about demographics and brick and mortar retail store traffic decline is shocking, as it pertains to retail and shopping construction and development in Kingsport.

The Ft Henry Mall should have retained that original name, not renamed "Kingsport Town Center." That was the first mistake. The second was choosing a theater firm that was not financially in a position to redevelop the theater mall site. The third is having no vision and understanding of shopper habits in the tri-cities--terrible mall management.

There is a huge problem with management at that mall and the lack of the ability to redevelop the site. My thinking is the mall needs an attraction to lure traffic there--Target or Barnes and Noble would have been wise, or Bass Pro Shops--but these "ships sailed" due to The Pavilion and Bass already in Bristol. The theater is a solid choice if they don't screw it up by choosing wrong company again. Unfortunately if one of the 3 anchor stores close, I'm not sure the mall can survive.

At this point, they are faced with a drastic option of completely tearing down parts of the mall and redeveloping into "an outdoor/downtown shopping type district" or razing it entirely and starting over.
A hail mary at this point is to kick out Frank's and attract a legit IMAX firm--but long shot now.

Fuzzy future at best as it stands currently, unfortunately.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM

667 posts, read 824,459 times
Although not unexpected, this won't help the mall's recovery. Bristol Sears is closing too. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised in the JC store isn't far behind.

Sears to close Bristol, Virginia and Kingsport, Tennessee locations | Bristol Local News | heraldcourier.com

Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,770,593 times
I'm surprised JC Sears and Greeneville KMart aren't closing. This announcement did include the closing of the KMart store in Morristown.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 PM

28,410 posts, read 21,315,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm surprised JC Sears and Greeneville KMart aren't closing. This announcement did include the closing of the KMart store in Morristown.
JC Mall is healthier. I can only assume that means a healthier Sears for now. Still, Sears is living on borrowed time.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Although not unexpected, this won't help the mall's recovery. Bristol Sears is closing too. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised in the JC store isn't far behind.

Sears to close Bristol, Virginia and Kingsport, Tennessee locations | Bristol Local News | heraldcourier.com
I read that too. I am shocked Kmart and Sears in general, across the board, have remained in business this long.

As for the particular store closing @ Ft Henry Mall in Kingsport, it further increases the urgency to do something with this property--for the surviving/dedicated stores. At this point, renovating the mall into a gutted, warehouse-style, discount destination would be the way to go--in my opinion. Load it with cheap/outlet/bargain stores and add a food court with chains. Add in a renovated theater space and boom it's a destination again.

If Kingsport were savvy and participated in wide-ranging smart development, they would go after JCPenney or Belk to locate downtown too.

What will wind up happening though, is that these will both not renew their leases and the mall will just go entirely under and close, until some developer comes in and renovates/razes it entirely for a new function.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM

It's a pretty challenging time for all stores like this. JCPenney was recently struggling and I'm not sure what Belk's numbers are like, but I was expecting Macy's to buy out Belk until I read that Macy's is laying off thousands and closing 68 (?) stores this year. All in all, the picture for middle class chain fashion isn't all that great. I'm not sure that Belk or especially JCPenney has the desire or ability to invest in new stores in struggling markets like Kingsport.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
It's a pretty challenging time for all stores like this. JCPenney was recently struggling and I'm not sure what Belk's numbers are like, but I was expecting Macy's to buy out Belk until I read that Macy's is laying off thousands and closing 68 (?) stores this year. All in all, the picture for middle class chain fashion isn't all that great. I'm not sure that Belk or especially JCPenney has the desire or ability to invest in new stores in struggling markets like Kingsport.
Yeah, great points. Amazon and online retailing in general is destroying some brick and mortar retailers for sure.

Yeah, Kingsport is not booming by any stretch, but it does have that stable broad base of regional population that visits there frequently to shop still. Kingsport, to me, has always been "over-retailed." I think this is finally catching up with them after all these decades and with the latest huge drop in sales for physical retail locations.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM

Totally agree. I think America is overretailed.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 AM

28,410 posts, read 21,315,039 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kingsport JC Penney go. That store has needed work done on the inside for many years now, and it looks like it's been pushed off. I can't imagine it doing very well, and with the work needing to be done, that's just an excuse to pull the plug.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:46 AM

184 posts, read 214,523 times
Following the second go-around by Sears, Macy's announced it was closed stores (32 I think) and Khols's is making noise that it will likely soon follow suit.
The issue - as pointed out in some of the posts here - is retail is overpopulated because many of the mom and pop stores have closed because they couldn't compete with the big boxes and chains. Now, online is doing the same to the big boxes and retail chains.
Much of the development in the area has resulted in moving the stores around and retailers with a store in all three cities consolidated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or