Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 AM

9,919 posts, read 14,262,689 times

Advertisements

I went into Fort Henry Mall yesterday for a bit. I actually walked the halls of the mall and went down each corridor, curious to see any updates or progress.

I was pleasantly surprised with the renovation. The mall looks clean, modern and nice. There is a void of new store activity--with the exception of a new hair salon near Belk and a new store by JCPenny. The murals along the sheetrocked walls for the vacant spaces actually works well--with pictures of historic and modern Kingsport, with some museum-like narratives for each.

The renovation took the main central elevator in the mall and moved it into the side where it is not as easy to access, and is much less inviting and no frills. Also, the removal of the escalator was a huge mistake--that should still be there.

The new movie theater and the Dunham Sports store really look great. The stores that still remain seem to be holding on decently well. Sears needs a replacement store. Also, would be great if a few restaurants expressed interest in the spaces and area nearby.

It is a curious redevelopment. A lot of money has been poured into this mall over the past 1-2 years with renovation. It looks nice now, and they seem to be in "waiting for the stores to arrive" mode.

But will they ever arrive?

I suppose that will be decided over the course of the next year, and determine the fate and next steps here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM

634 posts, read 685,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Also, the removal of the escalator was a huge mistake--that should still be there.
Agreed, I can't fathom why they took the escalator out. It is now hugely inconvenient to go between levels at that end of the mall. If you use the staircase it's a lot of stairs.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:18 PM

100 posts, read 352,626 times
From a recent times news article they are set to demolish the old Sears space to make it more attractive for developers. I agree this is a lot of money to sink into the mall I just hope it isn't for nothing. I do like the updates and think it's very modern though.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvols21 View Post
From a recent times news article they are set to demolish the old Sears space to make it more attractive for developers. I agree this is a lot of money to sink into the mall I just hope it isn't for nothing. I do like the updates and think it's very modern though.
I didn't realize they were planning on demolishing the Sears store. I think that is a good plan and will help with the rebranding of the mall. Could definitely help to boost its development. We will see.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:12 AM

634 posts, read 685,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvols21 View Post
Fort Henry Mall owners wrapping up interior renovations, plan to demolish old Sears building - WJHL

Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,990,556 times
I went in Friday myself. The renovation is nice, and there was a surprising number of stores that seemed to be doing fairly well on the bottom. There was more foot traffic than I expected.

I don't know - it hasn't proceeded at the pace I'd like, but it isn't complete dead either, and the actual physical building looks great.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 PM

311 posts, read 395,455 times
I emailed Publix today about how they should consider the Fort Henry Mall and the former Sears spot. Since it's going to be torn down I think the location would make for a great standalone Publix location. I encourage others to email Publix about this spot. I really think it's a great location for them plus it's in a populated spot with not many too many grocery stores. Let them know we want Publix and the spot!

Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 AM

34,882 posts, read 30,990,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
I emailed Publix today about how they should consider the Fort Henry Mall and the former Sears spot. Since it's going to be torn down I think the location would make for a great standalone Publix location. I encourage others to email Publix about this spot. I really think it's a great location for them plus it's in a populated spot with not many too many grocery stores. Let them know we want Publix and the spot!
Honestly, I think Publix would do better in Kingsport than Johnson City. Johnson City has significantly more/better grocery options. Kingsport has practically nothing other than Food City. The Kroger is dumpy, the Ingles and Aldi are at the very edges of town.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Yes, this is a fantastic idea! I've said it all along, that Publix should locate there. Once they demolish the Sears store later this summer/early fall, Publix should have a clean slate to build a brand new store. Either this location is ideal, or the Kmart store spot on Stone Drive. Once Kmart leaves of course--only a matter of time....

Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Honestly, I think Publix would do better in Kingsport than Johnson City. Johnson City has significantly more/better grocery options. Kingsport has practically nothing other than Food City. The Kroger is dumpy, the Ingles and Aldi are at the very edges of town.
Totally agree here. Food City has taken over Kingsport, and oddly I feel like they have a hand in influencing the city to discourage other grocery stores from coming to Kingsport--at least that's my theory LOL.

Within about a one mile radius of where the current Food City store is located on North Eastman Road and Ft Henry Drive, as recently as about 10 years ago, there were 4 thriving grocery stores. The grocery stores were Winn Dixie, Food City, Oakwood and Food Lion. Now, only Food City is there, servicing that whole area of Kingsport.

The demand for more grocery stores in Kingsport is high. Publix would do very well there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol