Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times

Advertisements

Wow!!! Yesterday, and today, have been so beautiful! I know the weather'll turn back cold probably, but it's got me to thinking about taking up walking&jogging, which I love to do in spring and summer but peter out towards fall and winter.

Anyway, when I lived in Greeneville I utilized the great Tusculum Park trail, and when I lived in Knoxville, I used a really cool one in Bearden that I forget the name of. I've sort of been looking around here in JC, but so far I haven't been able to find any greenways at all. I don't really want to just walk around and around and around in a circle (I can do that around my house! ), I'd rather have a nice trail (paved, preferrably).

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I believe there is one at Winged Deer Park along the water.
I think there is one off Cherokee Rd, by the golf course too I think.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM

227 posts, read 719,956 times
Willow Springs Park has a nice paved walking trail. That is also the location of the dog park.
City of Johnson City, Tennessee (http://www.johnsoncitytn.com/Parks%20%26%20Recreation/Parks%20%26%20Facilities/Willow%20Springs%20Park.html - broken link)

Winged Deer Park has a paved track around the ball fields but also has a paved trail that goes up into the wooded area.
City of Johnson City, Tennessee (http://www.johnsoncitytn.com/Parks%20%26%20Recreation/Parks%20%26%20Facilities/Winged%20Deer%20Park.html - broken link)

I also walk the path at Science Hill/Freedom Hall. Have seen but not tried the greenway on State of Franklin, also ones in Kingsport, Jonesborough and Erwin.
Johnson City, TN MPO Home Page

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM

423 posts, read 1,404,482 times
Thanks Dcommander. Very informative. Looks like there are short bicycling paths but no long ones in the area? I know there's the Virginia Creeper in Abingdon, but are there any long trails closer to JC?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineywoods View Post
Thanks Dcommander. Very informative. Looks like there are short bicycling paths but no long ones in the area? I know there's the Virginia Creeper in Abingdon, but are there any long trails closer to JC?
The creeper is pretty far away. The Appalachian trail passes near Erwin. Ap Trail

Warriors Path State Park is very nice.
warriors path loc: Johnson City, TN 37601, United States of America - Google Maps

Steel Creek Park in Bristol is great. Rooster Park is just down 11E in Bristol and connects to Steele Creek via a very nice trail. It is also great and much closer than the Creeper.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Just an update, I went over to Willow Springs park today. It is a nice, large, community park with a separate lot for a dog park. It has a neat playground with a memorial to Johnson's Depot (original name of Johnson City) and lots of walking track.

Recommended to anyone living in South Johnson City!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Rccrain, we'll definitely take a look at Steel Creek Park in Bristol. Do you know how long it is? We're looking for 10 to 15 mile trails if there are any in the area. and jabogitlu, we'll also look at Willow Springs -- for the dog park for sure. I love to see all the different dog breeds playing together like a bunch of crazy, funny kids! Dog parks are a great addition to any area! If anyone here has never been to one...go! They are a really fun thing to do on a lazy afternoon...and hmmm...a great date idea?!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,607 times
Default Huge greenway fan

I always write the parks and recreation of the city I am living in, or near and they send me oodles of free info on parks, and the greenway systems......I just received a free map from Knoxville with about 40 parks listed, maybe more. They show the amenities offered at each park and if there is a walking trail, it even goes as far as telling if it is paved or not, and the distance. Pretty cool!
I suggest that you give this a try, and maybe get a few more around the area, such as Bristol and Kingsport.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 AM

Great idea sillygal. So often I hear of a park, but have no idea where the trailheads are. So far the best biking trail, local and long enough to get a good few hours in, seems to be Steel Creek in Bristol.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineywoods View Post
Great idea sillygal. So often I hear of a park, but have no idea where the trailheads are. So far the best biking trail, local and long enough to get a good few hours in, seems to be Steel Creek in Bristol.
The trail along the lake at Steele Creek is fairly short, approx. 2.0-2.5 miles long. It takes me approx. 70 min. to walk from the free parking area on Steele Creek Dr. to Rooster Park and back.

Your best bets that I know of are the Kingsport Greenbelt (approx. 9 miles long, though not 100% completed) and Erwin's Linear Trail, which I walked for the first time last fall and really enjoyed. That trail is 4-5 miles long.

In Kingsport, your best bet is to jump onto the Greenbelt on Netherland Inn Rd. and end up at the Exchange Place on Orebank Road. The only problem is that a couple of trail sections (maybe 0.5 mi. total) have yet to be completed in the Netherland Inn & downtown areas, but you can print out a map and negotiate your way through pretty easily. I'll be happy to PM you w/ specific directions if you'd like to try it out.

FWIW, in Sullivan Co. & Washington Co. I also know of some of really nice country roads w/ light traffic that are terrific rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol