Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 PM

36 posts, read 45,063 times

Advertisements

I only visit the Greeneville store every 2-3 months. I always ask about the Johnson City store and always get a different answer. Considering that Publix won't give out any specific info on the store, I don't know if managers truly have any inside scoop or whether they are just speculating. As I said in my last post, the lady in real estate that I talked to said they were aware of the difficulty of the proposed location (I didn't bring it up), so maybe that's a clue. If so, that would explain the stand-still and why they are calling it still in the design stage or in the planning stage. If they truly are scouting a new location, designs (especially exterior) would need to be changed. I hope this is the case; it would be an encouraging sign. But if so, I just wish they'd get a move on!

I e-mailed the mayor, vice mayor, and two city council members of Johnson City asking them to contact Publix, giving they contact info for different people and departments. I heard back from three of the four; all of them said they would gladly do so. The vice mayor said she forwarded the e-mail to the city manager and was curious about what was going on. One of them said he absolutely wanted to get to the bottom of this hold-up. Considering Publix's secrecy, I wish them luck--but I figure it can't hurt Publix to hear from city officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 PM

110 posts, read 229,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
So is the Greenville store actually getting business? The word is that store isn't doing well and is not making sales, thus why the rest of the Tri-Cities has been put on hold if not canceled.
The bakery person I talked to said that the store was exceeding performance expectations. I have no way of knowing if that is true, but she said that the store was doing quite well and was consistently increasing revenue each quarter.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:24 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I could see where special bakery things could go to Publix. I thought about going down there today, but my travel pattern is mostly JC and Bristol now. Just way too far from Bristol, where my girlfriend is in rehab now.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:42 PM

Well, I just talked with Mr. Brumit, the real estate developer/"owner" of the proposed JC store and asked him what the hold-up was on Publix. He said he was not allowed to discuss the matter since Publix wants to make their own announcements when the time comes. in other words, he knows but can't say. He said he realizes things have just taken longer than people would've liked, and when I said one of the things we've heard is that things are still in the design phase, he agreed with this. This lines up with what James Sullivan (Chief Building Official Development Services Dept. for Johnson City) told me in an e-mail from May: "The owner (Brumit Company) is working on the design of the store; I am not at liberty to discuss details as the owner has asked to keep design information private. I can tell you that this project is in the hands of the designers, and we are all awaiting final construction documents." I mentioned other rumors and scenarios, but he wouldn't comment. He did say when things changed and it was okay to discuss matters, he would call me back (Publix told me the same thing last week). He said this twice, one time implying it may be in the new few months, the next time in the next few weeks. At no time did I get the impression that the store would be cancelled, just that things were taking longer than first expected.

Maybe I'm taking this too literally, but design info has been posted on the internet for several months. Why should it now be considered a secretive thing--unless the designs would now reveal things they don't want known at the present? Hence, my theory: I believe Publix and the owner/developer are still in design phase because the store design NEEDED TO BE CHANGED--and the only reason I can think of (especially after all this time) is a change of location or they're getting more land on the original site. This ties in with reports last week from a bakery worker in the Greeneville store, Mr. Sullivan's above comments, and an unprompted comment from a Publix real estate person last week who told me she knew the proposed site presented traffic difficulties. Maybe things really are--no joke--still in the design stage, and they don't want word to get out yet that they're changing locations. My take on all this is that an announcement is forthcoming in the near future!

Does anyone else have any theories that might fit what we know at this point? Please let us hear them.

Last edited by gershwingreen; 10-29-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Default Publix #1633, Markets West at Franklin, 509 North State of Franklin Road, Johnson City, Tennessee 37604-8210

Unless I am informed differently, Publix #1633 remains in development. If issues can be resolved by the end of 2018, Publix #1633 could see construction begin in March 2019, and a potential opening in November or December.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Unless I am informed differently, Publix #1633 remains in development. If issues can be resolved by the end of 2018, Publix #1633 could see construction begin in March 2019, and a potential opening in November or December.
This is great news then! Seems like Publix is just being delayed a bit with the development process here for this store.

Exciting that it will be coming along next year. It will be fantastic to see another terrific grocer option open up in JC.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:43 PM

Thanks, Carolina Knight, for the information! It just shows you how wrong my suppositions were.

I can add a bit more to this. A member of the Johnson City Council e-mailed me today and said, "The Publix project is still active, but has slowed a bit as they work through some building and road access issues." I do hope things get worked out as quickly as possible and that the city is doing everything it can to help the situation.

I will repeat what I posted yesterday: Mr. Brumit gave me the strong impression that Publix will be making some sort of announcement in the near future, which will be most welcome. But the thing that bothers me the most, apart from all the time that's gone by, is the arrogance of a company that makes announcements, stirs up public interest so we will shop with them, then won't give these same customers the consideration of keeping them informed when things stall. It's as if we don't matter until the doors are open and they can get our money.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:36 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
I think they are smart not to release negative info. People (not citi-data people of course) are always looking for an angle to criticize or blame.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Yesterday (12/20/18) WJHL reached out to Pubix about the project's progress. Kimberly Reynolds (Media & Community Relations Manager) replied: "At this time I have no new information or update to share." This was at the end of a story about the upcoming construction of Lark Street Extension, which is off or near Sells Avenue. This project has been on the books since 2013. Reporter Jordan Moore said it was adjacent to the Publix site and runs through the old Optimist Park. She asked mayor Jenny Brock if this was related to the Publix project. Ms. Brock said it wasn't relating to anything except infrastructure improvement and should greatly alleviate traffic congestion at the intersection of State of Franklin Road and West Market Street. She expects completion by the end of 2019.

I'm not familiar with this section off W Market, but I gather it may be just past the Publix site. If so, and if the information from Carolina Knight holds, then the two projects could finish about the same time and would probably help traffic problems at the center. I can't help but wonder if this is what developer Robert Brumit and Publix have been waiting on. If so, then perhaps an announcement will be coming soon--as Mr. Brumit told me would happen. I assume he wouldn't have told me this if he didn't think things were soon going to work out or get started.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:20 AM

I heard on the 11:00 news (WJHL) last night that Publix would be making an announcement in the near future about their Johnson City store. The story also mentioned a site in The Falls shopping center in Bristol that could possibly be for Publix, but Kimberly Reynolds (Publix spokesperson) wouldn't confirm--of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol