U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 PM

20,544 posts, read 21,195,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershwingreen View Post
When Food City built their ho-hum store at the corner of Sunset and State of Franklin the other year, I couldn't help think that it would've been the ideal location for a Publix--but Publix moves slowly, I've noticed in my research, taking an average of 3 years from site selection to store opening.
I would not doubt Publix is active selecting sites across Tennessee for stores in new locations. Publix has had Memphis on its radar for approximately six years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 AM

667 posts, read 822,002 times
As was reported in the local news recently, Publix and Johnson City are going back and forth on some plan details currently (pretty sure there is a design overlay that requires brick exteriors and regulates sign height) and as mentioned, access is currently a potential issue.

One thing that might remedy this is the city is in the planning process to extend Sells Ave. through the old Optimist Park to W. Market St. This will allow traffic heading to Jonesborough to bypass the W. Market/State of Franklin intersection. My bet is there will be an entrance into Publix off this Sells Ave. extension.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:45 AM

28,310 posts, read 21,228,906 times
Quote:
I meant to add these comments to the above post, but ran out of time. . . . . .

I think Publix will be very successful at this location IF access problems are addressed. This is the busiest intersection in town, which is why I think Publix selected this site. When Food City built their ho-hum store at the corner of Sunset and State of Franklin the other year, I couldn't help think that it would've been the ideal location for a Publix--but Publix moves slowly, I've noticed in my research, taking an average of 3 years from site selection to store opening.

When they announced they were coming to Greeneville, I thought it was a very odd choice given its small population and lower income levels. To me, any of the Tri-Cities would've been a more logical choice. Anyway, I first visited the Greeneville store a week after it opened and was wowed by what I saw. There were several items that I always had to order because nobody carried them around here--not even the Fresh Market--and the food bar had many interesting and diverse offerings. I returned 2-3 months later and these premium items had vanished, and the food bar was reduced to more mundane offerings of chicken, meat loaf, green beans, and macaroni--the same old stuff that Food City trots out practically every day of the week (and not worth eating, in my opinion). So here Publix comes into a small town and soon has to "downgrade" some of their offerings. I've been 5 or 6 times now, and have never seen many people shopping there--I hope it's just the time of day (early afternoon) when I arrive. I don't think Johnson City will have any of these problems with its much larger population, better income levels, near-by university, and being practically in the door of a large medical center. But, as I said, access has to be addressed, or people won't be bothered by the hassle.

I will certainly give Publix some of my business, but I live a mile or so from the Food City in Piney Flats, and that and Walmart are more convenient--although Walmart's poor stocking and here-today/gone-tomorrow items drive me nuts. I used to like the Kroger off North Roan Street, but it's a bit outmoded and small now. It doesn't carry the broad assortment and more hard-to-find items that it used to, produce NEVER looks fresh, the prices are high, and the store is crowded and dirty.

Bottom Line: Publix, I am thankful you are coming to town. Johnson City, I am sure, will welcome you with open arms!
I had been to Publix in Florida and Turkey Creek and was always very impressed. I also went to the one in Greeneville a month or two ago, and while I was impressed, I agree it did seem like a bit of a step down from the other Publix I had been to. The sandwich was lovely, but there was nowhere inside to eat it. I had to eat out front on the picnic tables.

With that said, the quality was much higher than what I normally get at Food City or even Kroger. The vegetables were better. I was able to get some in-shuck corn that tasted like corn - most Food Cities do not even stock in-shuck corn this time of year. I also found some other stuff I can't find elsewhere - ground horseradish for mashed potatoes and roast beef sandwiches, and some other vegetables/fruits.

I'm hoping that Publix comes in here aggressively. Kroger (the one on South Roan St. is passable, the Bristol one is fairly nice, the Kingsport/north JC ones suck) has not shown any desire to increase their presence in the area. The Kroger Marketplace concept (Bearden in Knoxville has one) would be a substantial improvement over everything, but again, the area's demographics are unlikely to support a higher end Kroger, much less anything truly high end like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

I work in Kingsport and my only options are Food City and the dumpy Kroger. Ingles is out of my way, and is generally more expensive to boot. JC has more options, but I am just amazed that a town of Kingsport's size is basically a mainstream grocery monopoly, with the only real competition being Walmart. My concern is that the Greeneville Publix will struggle, and that this will put the brakes on future expansions.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:21 PM

15,749 posts, read 28,802,926 times
As a current Publix customer I am here to tell you this: I would go out of my way an entire block to turn around to overcome access problems to shop at Publix. The prices may be a smidgen higher but who cares. What you get in return far overcomes the few pennies/dollars spent. Just tonight we are enjoying our fresh items after having a wonderful shopping experience at Publix. And they have the best deli fried chicken ever! Now this is coming from a Food City steadfast supporter and Kroger shopper as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:53 PM

12,405 posts, read 34,566,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
As a current Publix customer I am here to tell you this: I would go out of my way an entire block to turn around to overcome access problems to shop at Publix. The prices may be a smidgen higher but who cares. What you get in return far overcomes the few pennies/dollars spent. Just tonight we are enjoying our fresh items after having a wonderful shopping experience at Publix. And they have the best deli fried chicken ever! Now this is coming from a Food City steadfast supporter and Kroger shopper as well.
I agree 110%. The "worst" Publix I've visited is the one in Lebanon TN, but it's still light years nicer than any Food City and most Kroger locations I've been to. While Publix does have slightly higher prices, their BOGO deals are awesome and plentiful, and their private label products are very high quality. I would drive across town and past 3 Krogers just to get a Publix sub and a Publix key lime pie. Most Publix stores I've seen also have cooking demonstrations (with free samples, of course). Having a Publix in town will definitely raise the standards for all other grocery stores.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 PM

12,349 posts, read 15,927,133 times
I haven't been in a Publix in eons. I never thought they were all that and would bypass one to go to Albertsons or Winn-Dixie instead. You guys have my curiosity going now, next time I'm in Knoxville I'll try to remember to make a trip and check it out. Want to see what all the fuss is about!
(Although to be honest last weekend I went to a Costco for the first time in ages, soooo not impressed and won't be going back anytime soon)

Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 PM

32 posts, read 31,654 times
I contacted Publix last week asking if the Johnson City store would have a seating area inside and said that I felt all stores should offer this if they're gonna sell ready-to-eat food, and that the outdoor tables are at the mercy of the weather. Their response didn't answer my question, but said they would forward my comments to the appropriate store planners. Given the size of the planned store at a little over 46,000 sq. ft, I rather doubt it. I've observed in my research that dining areas are in stores around 49,000 sq. ft. and up--which are mostly in bigger cities and areas of more intense competition (like North Carolina and Virginia).

Last edited by gershwingreen; 03-08-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I contacted Publix last week asking if the Johnson City store would have a seating area inside and said that I felt all stores should offer this if they're gonna sell ready-to-eat food, and that the outdoor tables are at the mercy of the weather. Their response didn't answer my question, but said they would forward my comments to the appropriate store planners. Given the size of the planned store at a little over 46,000 sq. ft, I rather doubt it. I've observed in my research that dining areas are in stores around 49,000 sq. ft. and up--which are mostly in bigger cities and areas of more intense competition (like North Carolina and Virginia).
It doesn't make any sense to not include a few tables. The Colonial Heights Ingles has a small nook cut out for eating in store. Food City has something similar. I can't imagine it being more than 500 sq. ft. It doesn't need to be the size of a restaurant. If true, that's just a major oversight.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:24 AM

20,544 posts, read 21,195,324 times
Default Publix #1633, Markets West at Franklin, 509 North State of Franklin Road, Johnson City, Tennessee 37604-8210

Publix #1633 is reported to remain in the design process.

Further reading

Old 05-09-2018, 06:23 AM

What I'm concerned about is that the longer one party or the other drags their feet on this, the more likely it is that someone will get fed up and the entire thing will get canceled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol