U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:51 AM

667 posts, read 822,754 times

Advertisements

That's a tricky location. It's the busiest intersection in Johnson City and I'm sure the city has concerns about traffic flow and the plans need to sufficiently address that. There is also a design overlay requiring specific building materials, sign size and height, etc. so that could be causing a delay as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM

20,549 posts, read 21,214,853 times
Default Publix #1633, Markets West at Franklin, 509 North State of Franklin Road, Johnson City, Tennessee 37604-8210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What I'm concerned about is that the longer one party or the other drags their feet on this, the more likely it is that someone will get fed up and the entire thing will get canceled.
It appears Publix Super Markets had made progress at Markets West at Franklin to the extent of assigning a location number for the future Publix. I doubt Publix #1633 will be cancelled.

Markets West at Franklin is proceeding better than Jefferson Trace in Bristol, Virginia, did.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
That's a tricky location. It's the busiest intersection in Johnson City and I'm sure the city has concerns about traffic flow and the plans need to sufficiently address that. There is also a design overlay requiring specific building materials, sign size and height, etc. so that could be causing a delay as well.
A signal access for Markets West at Franklin will be needed at the full access on West Market Street or at North State of Franklin Road and Sells Avenue with full access created to Sells Avenue.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM

6,778 posts, read 10,170,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What I'm concerned about is that the longer one party or the other drags their feet on this, the more likely it is that someone will get fed up and the entire thing will get canceled.

Just thinking out loud here, nothing based on what I've read:
Seems like there's definitely been plans to put the tri-cities expansion on the backburner, or so it appears. Greenville was an odd choice to roll out a tri-cities store by Publix in the first place, so I'm wondering if that business location is not doing as well as they anticipated, and they are holding off based on a bad sales at the initial debut location?

I did read that they were wanting to come to Kingsport, JC and Bristol in 2018-19, but there is definitely not a priority--or a rush--to open in the tri-cities I'm thinking.

The longer they wait though, you are right, the less likely things will move forward, unfortunately.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 PM

106 posts, read 193,364 times
Due to trips that have taken my wife and I through Greenville, we've actually shopped at Publix the last three Saturdays. We've been there in the early afternoon and the store was very empty each time. (Empty as in no one checking out, fewer than 20 customers in the store.)

After this last visit my wife remarked that Publix can't be happy about the sales volume of that store if our observations have been typical. She worried that it might cause Publix to not want to come to Johnson City. Like jjbradleynyc, I think Greenville was an odd location, and I hope we don't suffer as a result.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 AM

28,352 posts, read 21,261,754 times
Agree on the slow business in Greeneville.

IMO, Publix is a "half-step" above Food City, Ingles, and Kroger in groceries. It seems to be priced accordingly. I just don't see enough Greeneville residents having the income for something like this.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 PM

32 posts, read 31,681 times
Default Lack of Publix Progress

I forgot about this thread until just now. I was the one that encouraged WJHL to investigate the construction hold-up (The JC Press keeps ignoring my e-mails--maybe if they hear from others they'll do some reporting).
Anyway, I just wish Curtis McCloud had gone one step farther and interviewed the design people about the delay.

I contacted James Sullivan, the Chief Building Official of Johnson City's Development Services Dept. He said, "I would like to assure you that the delay in this project has little to do with the plans review process or city actions. The owner is working on the design of the store; I am not at liberty to discuss details as the owner has asked to keep design information private. I can tell you that his project is in the hands of the designers, and we are all awaiting final construction documents. The media has been actively pursuing a story here that frankly does not exist."

I disagree that there is not a story here. As I replied to him, the story is the constant delays after announcements. Publix themselves announced they would start before the end of 2017. Here it is 8 months later, and zip has been done! The "owner" that he speaks of may be Brumit Company, PO Box 6016, JC 37602, phone 282-4848. Brumit Co. has been listed on documents as the "buyer," while McCrory Construction (522 Lady St., Columbia SC) is the contractor/construction manager of record. I've yet to contact either since I figure they'll tell me it's none of my business. I just contacted Publix again and received, as usual, a nice e-mail that said an opening date has not been set. I e-mailed them back that right now, most people are more concerned of when construction will finally begin rather than when it will open; we'd like to see some action! I probably won't hear back (if at all) until next week.

I just don't get any of this. You'd think Publix would be pushing these people to get the lead out! I have seen reports in the JC Press that Johnson City is considered a difficult town to do business in because of all the red tape and nitpicking. Maybe this is a prime example. I have noticed that far too often Publix stores get delays all the time, and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get them open--especially if the stores are not in Florida or if they're not in an area where they're wanting to break into the competition (like Virginia and North Carolina). While I still don't get their locating a store first in Greeneville (Did they just throw a dart at the map?!), I don't believe the perceived lack of success there has anything to do with the JC delay.

We need to bombard Publix (e-mail, Facebook, phone calls, etc.) to let them see our level of frustration, and we need to keep after the JC Press to do its own investigation. Sometimes companies pay more attention of the media that to individuals. Any suggestions here?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM

6,778 posts, read 10,170,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershwingreen View Post
I forgot about this thread until just now. I was the one that encouraged WJHL to investigate the construction hold-up (The JC Press keeps ignoring my e-mails--maybe if they hear from others they'll do some reporting).
Anyway, I just wish Curtis McCloud had gone one step farther and interviewed the design people about the delay.

I contacted James Sullivan, the Chief Building Official of Johnson City's Development Services Dept. He said, "I would like to assure you that the delay in this project has little to do with the plans review process or city actions. The owner is working on the design of the store; I am not at liberty to discuss details as the owner has asked to keep design information private. I can tell you that his project is in the hands of the designers, and we are all awaiting final construction documents. The media has been actively pursuing a story here that frankly does not exist."

I disagree that there is not a story here. As I replied to him, the story is the constant delays after announcements. Publix themselves announced they would start before the end of 2017. Here it is 8 months later, and zip has been done! The "owner" that he speaks of may be Brumit Company, PO Box 6016, JC 37602, phone 282-4848. Brumit Co. has been listed on documents as the "buyer," while McCrory Construction (522 Lady St., Columbia SC) is the contractor/construction manager of record. I've yet to contact either since I figure they'll tell me it's none of my business. I just contacted Publix again and received, as usual, a nice e-mail that said an opening date has not been set. I e-mailed them back that right now, most people are more concerned of when construction will finally begin rather than when it will open; we'd like to see some action! I probably won't hear back (if at all) until next week.

I just don't get any of this. You'd think Publix would be pushing these people to get the lead out! I have seen reports in the JC Press that Johnson City is considered a difficult town to do business in because of all the red tape and nitpicking. Maybe this is a prime example. I have noticed that far too often Publix stores get delays all the time, and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get them open--especially if the stores are not in Florida or if they're not in an area where they're wanting to break into the competition (like Virginia and North Carolina). While I still don't get their locating a store first in Greeneville (Did they just throw a dart at the map?!), I don't believe the perceived lack of success there has anything to do with the JC delay.

We need to bombard Publix (e-mail, Facebook, phone calls, etc.) to let them see our level of frustration, and we need to keep after the JC Press to do its own investigation. Sometimes companies pay more attention of the media that to individuals. Any suggestions here?
I had emailed Publix back in mid June of this year about their Kingsport store plan--contacted the Corporate Real Estate Marketing contact, and she said they had tabled the entire market future store plans. Here's her response, below:

"There have been some changes in the Tri-City area in that we have placed this entire market on hold. We are monitoring our existing store to see how sales trend over the next few years. Unfortunately there are no plans to move forward in Kingsport.

I’m sorry, I wish I could have brought better news.

Thank you for inquiring and please keep shopping with us when you are in a town that has a Publix. "

I'm not sure if the "entire market" means Kingsport only, or includes Johnson City. My thinking is that she meant the Tri-Cities as a whole. I replied to that email but did not get a response.

My guess is Publix has said "hold" while they do some more market condition research.

But I think the reality of Publix' hesitation into the Tri-Cities market is their HUGE mis-step with opening the debut store in Greeneville. I've read that sales there have been disappointing. Greeneville is too far from anyone to drive to that lives in suburban JC or suburban Kingsport, so the store traffic consists of mainly the Greeneville area's residents, and since the city population is barely over 15,000 people and the entire county population at about 70,000 residents, this market is TINY for a Publix.

No wonder it is not doing well and making Publix rethink their Tri-cities strategy. Someone botched that debut choice. Ugh.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 AM

Default Publix #1633, Markets West at Franklin, 509 North State of Franklin Road, Johnson City, Tennessee 37604-8210

I hate to see Publix #1633 remaining in a delay. I hope the store will be able to proceed sooner than later.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 PM

32 posts, read 31,681 times
WJHL in their May report quoted a Publix spokesperson as saying "The plans have been plotted (drawn up). There are still plans to bring Publix to Johnson City." In the reply I received yesterday from my e-mail from Brittany Coleman (assistant to John Harmon, real estate manager) said that no opening date had been set; an announcement would be made closer to the time. Also, in response to a Facebook posting the other day from a lady asking about the JC store, Publix said, again, that an opening date had not be decided.

In other words, although the response sent to jjbradleynyc is very discouraging, nobody from Publix has yet to say that the Johnson City store has been cancelled. The store was assigned a number (1633), plans have been drawn up, their sign announcing a coming store is still at the center's entrance at State of Franklin.

Not to beat a dead horse here--well, I guess I am--I thought Publix researched their store locations better than to select Greeneville. The first I heard of Publix coming to our area was in a grocery industry article saying that Publix was making plans to enter the Virginia market and wanted to have some stops for their trucks in between Knoxville and Roanoke--so they selected Greeneville and Bristol, VA. This was right after Greeneville had been announced locally and before Bristol was even mentioned. They could just as well, of course, have selected Johnson City. Did they not compare the two towns? There's just no contest! I'm not dissing Greeneville, per se. It's just that it's a small, economically-challenged town in a small, economically-challenged county. Greeneville's socio-economic conditions are very different from the rest of the Tri-Cities.
If they hold the Greeneville store's sales against the rest of the area, Publix is very short-sighted indeed and not doing it's homework.

I still think we need to remind Publix through direct e-mails, Facebook postings, and news media that we want a store, we've been promised a store, and we're still waiting for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol