Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 AM

74 posts, read 99,666 times

Advertisements

All answers/opinions welcomed!

If in the center of each city you were to put down a compass and draw a circle representing a 45 minute drive, which city outward would have the most natural beauty?

Are winters exactly the same between the cities or is there a variance of snow vs ice?

Which city would have the least tourists year round?

Which city better fits being over 55+ with a recreation place geared to the over 50 crowd with excersize equiptment and inexpensive to free classes?

Which downtown seems most alive?

If you wanted to live in a small inexpensive studio apartment in which city would you feel you'd have the better experience? Meaning low crime in your apartment complex.

Tiny houses have a lot of appeal, but I dont know if tiny apartments have caught on !

In addition, if outside these cities, there are towns which you think would fit please say so.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
On iPad ignore typos and relatively short response.

First question - Kingsport, probably some areas going toward norton, VA.beautiful country.

Bristol, south Houston lake and Damascus VA.

Johnson city plenty of beautiful spots in Unicoi county WNC Roan Mtn.

Not much difference in winters.

Any city can work. JC has more variety and more gyms overall. I belong to the Wellness Center and family has membership at Kingsport YMCA. Neither charge for classes far as I know,

Johnson city has the most active downtown, followed closely by Bristol. Kingsport downtown is basically dead after work hours.

Studios aren't common here. JC Bristol Kingsport in that order.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:27 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
Quote:
If in the center of each city you were to put down a compass and draw a circle representing a 45 minute drive, which city outward would have the most natural beauty?
The landscape surrounding the entire region is beautiful but Johnson City is closer to places like Roan Mountain, Grandfather Mountain, Mt. Mitchell, etc. and overall is situated in a prettier setting than Bristol or Kingsport.

Quote:
Are winters exactly the same between the cities or is there a variance of snow vs ice?
The weather differences are negligible.

Quote:
Tourists aren't really noticeable anywhere in the region. It's not like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Johnson City has more "outsiders" and transient residents due to the presence of ETSU but this should be seen as a positive.

Quote:
Which city better fits being over 55+ with a recreation place geared to the over 50 crowd with excersize equiptment and inexpensive to free classes?
Johnson City, while lacking a YMCA, has plenty of fitness facilities. The city-owned Memorial Park Community Center is only a few years old and has an indoor pool, fitness equipment, gym, etc. offered at a low cost primarily geared towards seniors.

Quote:
Johnson City has the most energy and dynamism, largely due to a younger population and more progressive mindset. Followed by Bristol, then Kingsport. Johnson City's downtown is very quirky and non-traditional in layout/appearance but this just adds to the charm. Bristol is more traditional while Kingsport looks like it was plucked out of the upper midwest.

Quote:
If you wanted to live in a small inexpensive studio apartment in which city would you feel you'd have the better experience? Meaning low crime in your apartment complex
Johnson City has the most diverse rental market (again due to ETSU) but studios are not especially prevalent. I would feel safer renting in JC vs. anywhere else in the region. I don't have statistics to back this up but the younger demographic and stronger rental market seems to provide for a wider variety of safe, better-managed apartment complexes.

Quote:
In addition, if outside these cities, there are towns which you think would fit please say so.
Jonesborough is a nice town with a beautiful downtown that is essentially a suburb of Johnson City. Homes tend to be expensive, though, and the rental market is practically nonexistent. I can't really recommend anywhere else. Erwin is a small town in a beautiful setting and is making progress but still there is work to be done.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM

So helpful!

So between Johnson City and Bristol. Erwin in Unicoi county looks neat, low crime, rent but it might feel too small. Although I will visit there too.

I plan to come on down and stay a week at the Woodspring Suites. Id like to come near the end of the month but I dont know if Ill have all the info I need by then. Im sure going to try.

I love the Bluegrass Appalachian music too. Is there plenty to hear in both cities?

The Memorial Park Community center sounds just about right in Johnson City. I looked in Bristol and nothing that impressive is there but they do have an over 50 at the Slater Community Center. Found here
Fitness & Wellness | Bristol, TN - Official Website

Maybe instead of thinking tiny apartments, I could buy a brand new small trailer and plunk it into a mobile home park. Is there a city better for that between Bristol and Johnson City? If NE Tennessee is such a draw for retirees, there must be several good parks to chose from I could visit.

OH and ahead of time, can you give me a radio station for the ride down HA!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 AM

You can't just roll up a mobile home on an empty lot in the city of Johnson City. There will be zoning to contend with.

Why are you looking at trailers and studios? If you're working with a small budget, maybe post some rough figures and recommendations can be made accordingly. In general, housing around here isn't expensive enough to warrant going down from a 1BR to a studio. If you're looking for something like a 55+ mobile home park, similar to what you'd see in Florida or something, those really don't exist here. While I don't want to go so far as to say all trailer parks are bad, they generally aren't well-regarded around here and are viewed as mostly low income/trashy. I certainly wouldn't move from out of the area to a trailer park around here sight unseen.

Traditional bluegrass is still played in the area, but does not have a huge following. I think the Carter Family Fold still has weekend shows, and there are various festivals and things dedicated to bluegrass throughout the year.

Show Schedule

Keep in mind that while the area is viewed positively by many retirees due to a reasonably low cost of living, natural beauty, and mild four season climate, it is not Mayberry.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Ah, I see Serious.

Up here you can get a lovely mobile home park with lot rents of 325 and that includes water trash snow removal. Seems like I need a little more study. I looked up Bristol and there are 20 mobile home parks, I figured there would be a mix of the good the bad and the ugly with so many. There arent any good?

I suppose I could call all of them and ask their lot rates. The few highest might possibly be the good ones and I can look at those when I come. I have never lived in a mobile home. I owned my home in FL and then have rented apartments around the country. I cant buy a home again, but the idea of a mobile home is nice for the yard and small garden a couple of pooches.

PS dollars and sense, I need to do this on a shoestring frugal budget. So a safe 1 bedr apartment or a small mobile home would do it. Heck even renting in someones home who has a mother-in-law set-up or a tiny home in the backyard.

If you think I should be looking at an area other than the tri-cities please tell me. Someone gave me a rep point and said that Cumberland Plateu seems better for me. But I looked up Cookeville and city data shows low sunshine in the winter. Tri-cities have more sun.

Thanks

Last edited by Pnutty1; 08-07-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM

I've never lived in one but many people view trailer parks as bottom of the barrel housing. Not everyone who lives in a trailer park is bad of course, but generally these places tend to be lower class, and with that comes a higher likelihood of drugs being dealt/used, crime, etc. I would rather rent an apartment than a trailer, at least to start, if I had to choose either/or. Maybe if you were to get here, talk to people in certain parks, etc., you could get a better feel for what is nice and what isn't. If you were talking lot rent, $325 seems doable but if you want the total monthly expense to be $325, that's not going to happen.

You didn't specify a budget, but it's going to be hard to find a 1BR or anything for under $500, unless you go pretty rural, and those areas may lack high speed internet, cell service, doctors, etc. Johnson City is the nicest of the area cities but it is a little more expensive than Kingsport or Bristol.

Winters are generally not difficult here (except if you live on a hill, at higher than average elevation, etc.), but there isn't a lot of sun in the winter either. It's better than the Midwest, but by no means is it Florida or even somewhere like Charleston. The good thing is that while we do get snow, it's usually melted off in a couple of days, and it's not that uncommon to have days in the 50s/60s where you can get outside and do something.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times

Johnson City (gets you the area toward Asheville) or Bristol (gets your the area from Abingdon to Damascus)

No material difference.

Kingsport

Johnson City and Jonesborough senior centers are good.

Johnson City by a long shot.

If you wanted to live in a small inexpensive studio apartment in which city would you feel you'd have the better experience? Meaning low crime in your apartment complex.

Any of the three.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
All trailer parks around here are dicey in my experience.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
If you think I should be looking at an area other than the tri-cities please tell me. Someone gave me a rep point and said that Cumberland Plateu seems better for me. But I looked up Cookeville and city data shows low sunshine in the winter. Tri-cities have more sun.

Thanks
Cookeville is not on the Cumberland Plateau. Crossville, Huntsville, Jamestown, Monterey, Oneida, and Wartburg are.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol