U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:11 PM

99 posts, read 117,973 times

Advertisements

The Kingsport Kmart is officially on the list of stores set to close in March with store closing sells to start in the next 2 weeks

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/m/b3...he-80-new.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:18 AM

294 posts, read 262,544 times
Looks like the entire company is going under. CNBC is reporting a bid for the company was declined and now will likely completely liquidate. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/06/sear...iquidate-.html

Old 01-10-2019, 06:24 AM

182 posts, read 213,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
The Times News did pick up and publish the article on U-Haul buying the Kingsport Kmart property. Yes the store is still open and it doesn't have a closing date set yet nor has it even started a store closing sale but it will happen. I also agree that it's a great property but I'm very disappointed that it's turning in to a worthless U-Haul center that isn't really needed nor wanted.
I was told Publix wanted the site for a Kingsport store. They couldn't get a deal because of the cost since they were factoring in demolishing the old building to rebuild a new store.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM

20,542 posts, read 21,187,757 times
Publix Super Markets builds new stores from the ground up. It is a normal practice to tear down aging buildings that will be locations for new stores.

Another practice would be Publix Super Markets owning sites where it operates its stores. A retailer owning its locations' sites allows it to maintain its stores, control tenants, and prohibit competing businesses from moving in.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
Sullivan County, Tennessee property records show the original construction being 1974 (sounds right) and the real property is owned by Kmart Corporation. The square footage is [FONT=Arial]160,828 on 13.61 acres.[/FONT]
Specifically:
[FONT=Arial]KMART CORP
DEPT 768 TAXB2-116A
PO BOX 927000
HOFFMAN ESTATES, IL 60179

My recollection is that the old Kroger structure on the northeast end was largely dismantled and enlarged to match the depth of the existing Kmart. There were only cosmetic changes to the interior and exterior of the original Kmart for the new "Big-K "look. Poor name association with a defunct chain store....

[/FONT]
I'm interested if there are original blueprints of the store being first build, then a blueprint for the planned super k.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 AM

24 posts, read 20,706 times
Such a waste of a large, prime commercial property with the U-Haul store at this location. I would think the entire Kingsport community is disappointed with this outcome!

Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 AM

294 posts, read 262,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrison View Post
Such a waste of a large, prime commercial property with the U-Haul store at this location. I would think the entire Kingsport community is disappointed with this outcome!

The former Bristol, TN store close to the Pinnacle is also set to become a Uhaul location.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:16 AM

28,286 posts, read 21,213,936 times
The problem is that there is already a ton of vacant retail space in Kingsport. The mall is having issues with tenants. The Pavilion just lost Best Buy, Wendy's, WhichWich, and is nowhere near full. There is a majority empty wing of East Stone Commons where Marble Slab is.

I agree that using such a high traffic retail spot for a UHaul depot sucks, but I'd rather UHaul have it than it sit vacant. Something else would have to be willing to locate there.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:29 AM

6,739 posts, read 10,145,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem is that there is already a ton of vacant retail space in Kingsport. The mall is having issues with tenants. The Pavilion just lost Best Buy, Wendy's, WhichWich, and is nowhere near full. There is a majority empty wing of East Stone Commons where Marble Slab is.

I agree that using such a high traffic retail spot for a UHaul depot sucks, but I'd rather UHaul have it than it sit vacant. Something else would have to be willing to locate there.
Yeah, so much vacant retail is beginning to grow in Kingsport--and across the country.

In Kingsport also, there are 3 new vacant spots with those shops that have Five Guys and Subway on Stone Drive. The surf beer restaurant went out of business last spring, Mattress Firm is in bankruptcy and closed, and then Pie Five left in the late summer.

Add in the "higher end" shops on Eastman Road (where Panera and Starbucks are) and that center has about 8 or 9 vacancies, at least. Although a couple of new stores did open up over there in the past two quarters.

Unfortunately, large amounts of vacancies in retail are a plague across the country, in this Amazon and online e-commerce present-day environment.

It's not just hitting the smaller US markets, in New York, Manhattan is suffering with the largest amount of retail storefront vacancies ever--with the West Village, prime 5th Avenue and many other popular high-trafficked hoods looking at many, many empty storefronts. Rent there is also a factor, but these particular vacancies over the past couple of years are due to Amazon and e-comm rise.

The US has always been over-retailed, and with online surging, these brick & mortar stores just aren't left with any willing renters.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:05 AM

2,157 posts, read 3,951,533 times
Kingsport also has a ton of vacant office space - much of it vacated by Eastman when they moved into the shiny blue building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol