Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

People moving to Johnson City, Tennessee, larger in population than Bristol or Kingsport, wide diversity, shopping centers, larger mall, jobs for transplants, med-tech corridor, lower taxes, more business opportunities

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,783 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to go to Italy and Israel. I don't think I would ever want to live outside of the U.S. but oooh how I want to visit. <<sighing>> ...( If I ever did consider living outside of the U.S. it would be in Israel. ) But as to where I would choose to live, well I'll have to say Tennessee, afterall, that is what I am choosing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,547 times
Thanks, Commander! I'll put that on list of places to visit. Just got back from Nashville and surrounding areas. LOVE Franklin but certainly not in my price range. Nonetheless, a great little place to visit.

Last edited by suecen; 05-28-2008 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: spelled a word wrong!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
If I were going to live outside the US, it would be in Ireland. I come from fine Irish stock, but that aside, it's a lovely country and the Irish really make you feel at home.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Thats me. I love living here - my home, my lawn, my trees, etc., but oh how I would love to travel like it seems so many other people get to do. Its the same thing for me- day in, day out, day in, day out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

But I have too much family here (and too little cash) to ever leave NETN. I'm pretty happy regardless, as the scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly. Besides, where could I find bluegrass musicians to jam with in Italy? (In Norway, at least in Oslo, it might be possible, but...)

Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thats me. I love living here - my home, my lawn, my trees, etc., but oh how I would love to travel like it seems so many other people get to do. Its the same thing for me- day in, day out, day in, day out.
I'm lucky in that I have managed to travel extensively... and in eight weeks I'm leaving for Toronto!!!! Totally excited - another world city to add to my list. Maybe one day, your turn will come, TNStorm?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 AM

20 posts, read 50,841 times
Default Why I moved here

If you love the outdoors I think this is the area for you. I actually was attracted to Boone, North Carolina and hear so much about how it is one of the best cities in the US for the outdoors, but after getting to the area I fell in love with Mountain City. Great Hiking, the Virginia Creeper Bike Trail is a short drive away, a short drive to unbelievable fly fishing in Watauga, South Holston, Beaverdam Creek, Laurel, etc, Great Golf at RedTail Mountain, no state income tax, etc. And if you like to ski, which I do, it is a reasonable drive to the ski resorts. I just think this area isn't well known for all the outdoor activities around.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 AM

The Mountain City area (Butler, Roane) is amazing and beautiful. And of course, we don't want it to be well known!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Never. Too many responsibilities to family member and too little money (crabby job, etc). The dizzy life would be nice, going there and there as you please.

My grandmother wants me to go back to California with her in a couple of years to see her family if she gets able to travel again that far, but I am not sure. Thats costly. I am taking her to my relatives house in South Carolina in about 3 weeks... we will be there for about 2-3 days. Woop-eeeee!

Have fun on your world tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm lucky in that I have managed to travel extensively... and in eight weeks I'm leaving for Toronto!!!! Totally excited - another world city to add to my list. Maybe one day, your turn will come, TNStorm?
I totally agree.. especially if you like mountains, boating, etc.

I love the outdoors, but I love swamps, oceans, marshes, etc.
Basically the southeast coast and Gulf Coast lands, because there are not too many swamps up here. I know of a couple though - sure there are more. There is like a small marsh/swamp on 11W between Bristol and Kingsport. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleypc View Post
If you love the outdoors I think this is the area for you. I actually was attracted to Boone, North Carolina and hear so much about how it is one of the best cities in the US for the outdoors, but after getting to the area I fell in love with Mountain City. Great Hiking, the Virginia Creeper Bike Trail is a short drive away, a short drive to unbelievable fly fishing in Watauga, South Holston, Beaverdam Creek, Laurel, etc, Great Golf at RedTail Mountain, no state income tax, etc. And if you like to ski, which I do, it is a reasonable drive to the ski resorts. I just think this area isn't well known for all the outdoor activities around.

Last edited by mbmouse; 05-30-2008 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 01:22 AM

I LOVE cyprus swamps. Swampy Texas and Louisiana are amazing. A bit wild, but intensely cool. Never been to the Everglades in all my trips to Florida, somehow I always end up stuck in Daytona, Augustine or some suburban hellhole! I want to go to Miami, too.

I hear ya on the crappy job. If I didn't have friends to stay with in a Hamilton burb in Toronto, I'd never be able to go for as long as I'm going. Fuel costs are bad enough, hotel costs are indeed prohibitive!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM

295 posts, read 750,408 times
Default Why Johnson City gets top billing.

I cut and pasted most of this from another thread and changed it a 'might' as they say roun' here, to fit this thread. Excuse if it sounds familiar. I am formerly from Maryland, the "Old Line State" also know as the "Free State" which is a huge joke now as it has become one of the most expensive places in the US to live. Period!! I have been coming to the smokies since the late 70s and always wanted to move to the mountain south.
NE /TN, the oldest settled part of TN, meaning the Tri-Cities, Elizabethton, Erwin, Jonesboro, Roan Mountain, and down to Greenville west to Rogersville is crazy beautiful. Originally settled by God-fearin' folks who didn't cotton to any King or later on, government, telling them what to do or pay taxes, etc. and were willing to risk getting scalped and murdered by the indigenous population to avoid said government. This was the first western frontier and some amazing little told and good reading history if you look it up.
I live in a townhome/condo in the Boone's Creek-Gray area which is like north Johnson City for folks not from 'here-abouts'. It is considered a convenient, desirable, central location, good schools only5 minutes "when I'm fixin' to drive" [see how well I'm picking up on the vernacular around here.] to all the stores, places of business, and nice medical facilities.
You can't swing a dead cat around in a circle without hitting another big lake or river or great mountain view. Weather is mild and lovely, period, end of discussion. Taxes are laughably low to anyone from a major urban center in northeastern states or from Florida. [My townhome taxes are 800.00 total for city and county. Back in MD the same house would cost me three times as much and my taxes would be 3,800 a year...and we have a MD state income tax to boot and 6% sales tax!] Sales tax is 9.5% here but you can scoot into VA and take advantage of the 6% sales tax for your major purchases. 500K houses do exist here in nice golf course communities, 200 to 250K will get you a real nice home, but 100-120 thousand dollar 3bdrm. brick ranchers are everywhere and even cheaper homes exist in neighborhoods that are much less swank but that you still don't need a flak jacket to walk outside to your mailbox as crime is pretty low here [just don't leave anything copper laying around in plain sight].
I have, very unfortunately, not been able to find work in my field after a year searching in this down economy and have been looking to relocate now to Knoxville but from neccessity not by choice. There are only a few large employers in NE TN, salaries are LOW, and it helps to be married to someone who already works at companies like Eastman chemical if you hope to ever get an interview. Other than that expect to only find 9.50 an hour, third shift assembly-line work at Aerojet, or American Hot Water Heater, Bristol Compressor, and a few other no-skill req'd employers.
unless of course you don't mind getting dosed with some radiation up in Erwin then 19 bucks an hour can be yours to start as a rad tech. Medical careers here, as everywhere have tons of opportunities but lower salaries than some places you may be coming from but don't let that keep you away. With the low taxes, housing prices, etc. any medical professional could live like a king around here. If you have, or wish to start your own small business you could probably do well here. If you already made your nest egg and are retiring looking for a beautiful affordable area with friendly folks, cheap housing, very short commutes to work, sufficient restaurants and entertainment, 1.5 hours from Knoxville, 50 minutes from Asheville NC when you feel the need to hang out with 'artsy' Birkenstocks types, or an hour from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge if that's more your cup o' moonshine and loaded with waterfalls, mountains, trout streams, water skiing......then you're going to have to look long and hard to beat NE TN.
As to the original thread of Johnson City? Well from a foreigner's perspective when you drive through Johnson City, Bristol and Kingsport your intial impression is JC is a bit more upscale, then Kingsport than Bristol seems to be struggling to keep up. After living here for a year I'd say that's a bit unfair to Bristol which has just as much to offer as the other two. If you are coming here because you've transferred or of a new job then start out living close to where you work you won't be dissapointed in any of the three cities. After exploring for a year or two, seeing what you like or what schools impress you or which lake you want to be near or whatever...then make a change. I'd live in any of the Tri-Cities although my personal preference is for the area between Kingsport and JC. Piney Flats is kind of up & coming Blountville has it's historical good points, Bluff City is cool along the river, Erwin has some Norman Rockwell neighborhoods complete with white picket fences and flags waving from the porch, Unicoi and that area is for folks wanting to live on the fringe of mountain wilderness, Jonesborough looks like a postcard from an old New England town, Elizabethton north towards Roan Mountain has pretty mountains, lakes, and rivers along historic 'Tweetsie RR. country.
You can pretty much find what you like in 15 to 20 minute radius of the Johnson City area.
My .02 worth.
Other perqs of moving south from MD would be that you can buy Duke's Mayonaise and Cheerwine soda, they sell beer in grocery stores, even on Sunday, [a sign of enlightenment I always thought], restaurants have things like fried okra, hush puppies and sweet or salty corn bread depending on local tradition but you have to learn to drink ridiculously sweet tea and you won't be able to find Utz's Potato Chips anywhere [fortunately Utz ships on-line]

Last edited by NorthernLights; 06-04-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol