Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,975 times

Advertisements

We are looking for property in ne tn to build our dream home. We really like Greeneville but heard it has a “bad reputation”. We did hear though there r areas of Greeneville that r good. We live in south jersey currently we have 5 children, however r youngest one is 12, the rest r 18 plus n doing well with their lives. Yea, he was an oops, but a good oops. Having said that a good high school would definitely be on the list. Open to ur ideas. We r Caucasian n republic. Our oldest son is in the coast guard and my husband is a retired sherif officer we r open to suggestions . We like to hunt n we would love to have a mini farm. So woods n pasture a must. At least 10 or more acreas with good internet . PlLEASE HELP US!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Greeneville is a small, relatively isolated town that has historically been dependent on manufacturing. Manufacturing has kind of taken it on the chin over the past couple of decades, and Greeneville/Greene County have been struggling attracting and retaining quality jobs.

It's a very scenic area, but if you need to work, you really need to have it lined up before you move, unless you're fine with $10-$12/hr jobs or so.

I'm not an expert on Greeneville, and have only spent fairly limited time there. I was there a few weeks ago. For a town of 15,000, it's reasonably vibrant, with all the shopping essentials, some restaurants, a minor league baseball team, good city schools (county schools around here are generally worse than city), etc. The "bad reputation" usually comes from the rural areas. Many rural areas, not just Greene County, have significant problems with drugs and crime related to drugs. Random violent crime is low, but domestic abuse, drug crime, and property crime (often related to drugs/drug dealing) is pretty high. If I lived in Greene County, I would stay either in the city of Greeneville or on the side of the county closest to Washington County. I would avoid anything near Cocke County. Cocke is one of the rural "drug counties."

Also, many rural areas don't have broadband internet, and many are also going to lack city water or cellular coverage. You will need to confirm what services an individual property. Also, a budget would be helpful. A piece of rural land with no services of any kind and bad schools isn't going to be what most people are looking for.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,597,314 times
In Greenville, I'd recommend sending the 12yo to city schools instead of county even if you have to pay tuition.

You might also look in the Washington County area in the Daniel Boone HS district.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,464,091 times
Serious Conversation said it best, and I agree with SC's assessment. I grew up in Greeneville. PM with any questions.

It's a great place to grow up, but jobs are not good here, and hiring will be way different than where you a from. It will be culture shock to you coming from Jersey--way different--it is Southern Appalachia.

Greeneville is probably a "redneck" town, isolated, etc. That's true. Not saying to not move here, but it will be way different than what you are used to.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,034,077 times
I am originally from NJ and went to college in Greeneville - but that was over 40 years ago. However, we retired to an even more rural area in SW TN. Culture shock - absolutely. I don't know what it is now, but when I was in college, Greene county was semi-dry - beer only.

Situations where you will have culture shock - there are few, if any, catholic churches. Social activities are centered around the churches. Groceries - some of the products you are used to buying may not be available. I have yet to find a source for Tuttorosso canned tomatoes (it's the ONLY way I make my pasta sauce); and the competition among/between grocery chains doesn't exist on the same scale so you will find your prices higher - and there's no doubling coupons. Forget ever seeing a triple. Pizza - being from south Jersey, you may not have experienced the delicious thin crust pizza found in northern Jersey and NYC. You won't find it here.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Let me expand by saying that for all your wishes, Greeneville has them. Greeneville High is a great high school; probably top 3 or 5 public high schools in the state. It may be kind of "clique-y" but that is probably applicable to most high schools. They have good academics and extracurriculars. Just avoid the county schools. Nothing against them, but the city schools are better and will have more diversity (geographically from students and in general) for your 12 year old.

It's true that the food in general, particularly ethnic food, is not going to be very good or even available in G'ville. Johnson City (30ish minutes away) has some decent ethnic food and Asheville, NC (60ish minutes) has some excellent ethnic food. The food selection as far as dining out in general is not particularly great. You need to be prepared to cook a lot of meals at home. Otherwise, your choices are mostly fast food. That being said, for a small town of its size, there is at least a pretty decent selection in that.

I grew up Catholic in Greeneville and I was one of the very few in my entire class although it ultimately wasn't a huge deal. The population is overwhelmingly evangelical / Southern Baptist, so that culture is much more prevalent, which is a lot different than what you are likely used to.

It depends on what you like to hunt, but the hunting is not particularly great in East TN, although I doubt any worse than South NJ. Plenty of hiking and woodlands to explore, though.

All of this is to say that if you are content with a pretty simple life, Greeneville is a fine town. Most of your activities will revolve around simple family time, church or mountain activities. Otherwise, will need to go to a bigger city like Johnson City, Asheville, or Knoxville.

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 04-09-2018 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Add more info

Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I don't know what it is now, but when I was in college, Greene county was semi-dry - beer only.
It is no longer dry at all although there is definitely a segment of the evangelical population that is still anti-alcohol. Plenty of liquor stores and wine can now be purchased in grocery stores!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol