U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM

6,820 posts, read 15,478,173 times

Advertisements

With summer just around the corner and Spring peeking its head out slowly, the live music scene is firing back up in the Tri-Cities! This is always one of my favourite activities in NETN simply because the diversity and range of musicians (both local and touring) is pretty astounding compared to the population of the area.

So for anyone curious, here are a few resources to get you started:

Down Home - Johnson City - IMO, the best venue in the Tri-Cities region. Down Home - The Eclectic Music Room

Blue Plum Festival - The Blue Plum Festival - Home Sorta Bele Chere-ish, in downtown Johnson City's Blue Plum Village. Acoustic Syndicate's going to be there this year!

Bristol's Rhythm & Roots - Bristol Rhythm & Roots Festival - September 19, 20 & 21st, 2008 Ralph Stanley, Dan Tyminski, Doc Watson, all on State Street. Doesn't get much better.

Music on the Square - Music on the Square - Live from the Jonesborough, TN Courthouse square - Performances by local and regional bands, storytellers, poets, and other artists - I admit that I've never been to this open air show in front of the Jonesborough courthouse in downtown, but people tell me it's good, depending on who's there. They don't seem to have a lineup posted for this year, though! Look at the gallery, though. Looks pretty neat!

Paramount Center for the Performing Arts / Paramount Theater - Bristol - The Paramount Center The Paramount Theatre Not strictly live music, but any show at the Paramount's good. For the music, though, they have listed Mountain Heart (w/ Tony Rice[!]) and Gaelic Storm.

The Capitol Theater (Greeneville) - Concert Series Upcoming Shows | The Capitol Theatre of Greeneville - a very neat, recently fully restorted historic theatre in downtown Greeneville, with surprisingly big name acts for the small city. Grascals, JD Crowe & the New South, Infamous Stringdusters... plus local acts from time to time.

A couple shows that I'm really excited about are April 3 @ Down Home (Sparrow Quartet - Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck both in one? Oh yes. ) and June 7 @ the Capitol (The Infamous Stringdusters!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 PM

227 posts, read 678,249 times
Thanks for the links!! Anyone know when the restored theatre in downtown Kingsport (can't remember the name) will open?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM

One that I forgot about - Clinch Mountain Music Festival - June 13-15, 2008 - Rhonda Vincent, Tennessee Skyline, et al

Also, dcommander's question reminded me that there is a street festival in Kingsport. Never been, but I've heard about it, and can't quite seem to find anything about it on Google. Anyone know more info?

Not sure about the theatre in downtown Kingsport, either. Mbmouse seems to have lots of info about downtown KP, though! Mouse???

Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,381,280 times
Great job putting all that together, jabogitlu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Also, dcommander's question reminded me that there is a street festival in Kingsport. Never been, but I've heard about it, and can't quite seem to find anything about it on Google. Anyone know more info?

Not sure about the theatre in downtown Kingsport, either. Mbmouse seems to have lots of info about downtown KP, though! Mouse???
Kingsport's State Theater is scheduled to open sometime this summer. After Doug Beatty purchased the building and started renovations, he found the theater's original blueprints. From a Times News article last December:

“I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “It turns out the State Theater is not just a movie theater — it’s a small palace, much like the Fox in Atlanta or the Tennessee Theater in Knoxville. It was done up like a Mediterranean garden.”

The theater’s stage was covered in a 1950s-era renovation when the cinema-scope projector was invented.

Today, Beatty is restoring the theater to its original grandeur, and once completed next summer, the facility will be able to host various kinds of events, such as live concerts, plays and motion picture movies.

12 Bones wins 'Best Bites' award

RE: downtown Kingsport's Concert Series:]
MySpace.com - Downtown Kingsport Concert Series - 99 - Female - KINGSPORT, Tennessee - www.myspace.com/downtownkingsportconcerts

Boat Yard Diner on Netherland Inn Rd. in Kingsport has live music every Friday night except in the winter.

In addition, Stir Fry Cafe will be opening their place in Kingsport early this summer and I'm sure they'll feature live music on weekends, as does their JC location.

About 25-30 minutes from Kingsport is Bellamy's Hardware in Surgoinsville, which features bluegrass performances monthly. My parents have gone several times and really enjoyed themselves.
The Rogersville Review (broken link)
Main Street Bluegrass - Bellamys

And I have to mention the venerable Carter Fold near Hiltons, VA, with shows every Saturday and just a short drive (25 min. or so) from both Kingsport and Bristol.
Welcome to the Carter Family Memorial Music Center

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info about the Kingsport State Theater and about the two different downtown concert series.

Ugh! How in the world did the Carter Fold slip my mind, I'll never know. I agree with this recommendation!

Never been to Bellamy's. As far as jam sessions go, I know that Rheatown Store in Chuckey/Rheatown (Greene) has weekly sessions on Saturday nights. I'm usually there. Sometimes it can be hit or miss, depending on who shows up.

I've also heard about a couple old-time music resources in Erwin and Jonesborough but am still trying to figure out exactly where. Will post the info when I get it.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Woohoo! Got our tickets to go see The Sparrow Quartet (Bela Fleck, Abigail Washburn, Ben Sollee, Casey Driessen) at Down Home Thursday night.

Totally excited.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM

29 posts, read 67,291 times
Is there any jazz played in the area?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Not really, not that I know of, except occasional stuff at ETSU. For that you're going to have to go to Knoxville, which does have a pretty nice local scene (especially native drummer Keith Brown).

Not sure about Asheville-jazz. Not as familiar with that city.

Otherwise, last night at the Down Home (Fleck et al) was really amazing. I was hoping to run into another city-data'er, but I don't think I did.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,381,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
Is there any jazz played in the area?
Nowhere on a regular basis to my knowledge, but the annual Tri-Cities Jazz Fest is next Friday (4/11) at ETSU:
News and Events (http://www.etsu.edu/etsu/news_text.asp?Action=ListEvent&EventID=6936 - broken link)

The Milligan College Jazz Ensemble will give a concert 4/28 @ Milligan (in Johnson City):
WETS-fm Public Radio for East TN-Southwest VA-Western NC-Americana-Classical-NPR News-ETSU - Event Calendars (http://www.wets.org/index.cgi?CONTEXT=cat&BISKIT=2982592058&leaf_id=31 55&SUBTRAP=psa_detail&cat=9&art= - broken link)

And if you like the blues, the annual WETS Little Chicago Blues Festival is coming up at JC's Down Home later this month:
WETS Little Chicago Blues Festival @ Down Home (http://www.gotricities.com/events/event_popup.dna?id=10107 - broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 05:04 PM

The Little Chicago festival sells out always so if you're interested you best swing by Cats music now to get your tickets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol