Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Any comments on the Eastman Chemical Company? How is the air quality? Is this a cause for concern for people considering a move there??? Thanks.
To my knowledge Eastman does NOT smell. The "rotten" smell in Kpt is attributable to Weyerhaeuser - previously Willamette Industries, a paper producer. The smell is from wet/rotten wood and is NOT a cause for concern.

I've noticed the same smell at lumber mills. One ruined our favorite beach spot in Florida.

The air quality is poor due to natural allergens, the worst of which are pollen and rag weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM

433 posts, read 959,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
To my knowledge Eastman does NOT smell. The "rotten" smell in Kpt is attributable to Weyerhaeuser - previously Willamette Industries, a paper producer. The smell is from wet/rotten wood and is NOT a cause for concern.

I've noticed the same smell at lumber mills. One ruined our favorite beach spot in Florida.

The air quality is poor due to natural allergens, the worst of which are pollen and rag weed.
I lived in Fernandina Beach, FL, a few years ago, and our home was within two miles of a paper mill.
The smell of rotten eggs and sulphur permeated the air when the wind blew the right (or wrong) direction.
UGH!!!! AWFUL!!! I could smell it in my home from time to time.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,391 times
My family and I have been in Kingsport for 4 weeks now and I think I have finally figured out why I've had a daily headache! The plastic odor is awful! First thing in the morning and at sunset, it smells like burning plastic.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
rccrn,
I have been in Kingsport for six months now and almost everyday I have a mild headache. I thought it might be allergies and I started my allergy meds and spray with no effect.
Don

Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 24,308 times
i live in the gray/sulphur springs area.in the 14 months i have lived here i smelled the eastman odor at my house once.you can definately tell when you are near kingspost-it smells bad. i would never be able to live there due to the odors.like others have posted here,if you can buy somewhere's else,do it.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper477 View Post
i live in the gray/sulphur springs area.in the 14 months i have lived here i smelled the eastman odor at my house once.you can definately tell when you are near kingspost-it smells bad. i would never be able to live there due to the odors.like others have posted here,if you can buy somewhere's else,do it.
I believe that may have been the cows.
Sorry, but I live in Gray, more west than Sulpher Springs and close to 26 which would make me closer to Eastman than you and I have NEVER smelt Eastman here at the house and I am outside a lot.
I know a few people do have issues with the smell that can be smelt once in a while and that is really only if you are right at the plant or by Domtar, which is where most of the smells are really at but honestly, it is a small amount of people, most don't smell it at all and that is not just locals that are saying that.
Me thinks there is an axe to grind somewhere? Seems a bit odd that 2 first time posters have only posted about this. Hmmmmm

Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
Kingsport is definitely a stinker. I would suggest anyone thinking of moving there come check out the area for yourself. I would much prefer the Johnson City area or even Bristol due to the smell. Kingsport is much lower than the rest of the Tri-cities area and sort of acts like a giant bowl to hold in its pollutants.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 73,430 times
I agree with mbmouse... I can tell you that the smell is nowhere near what it used to be. Eastman has spent a lot of money and time on reducing their impact on the environment. Does it still smell? Yes, occasionally it does. The fact of the matter is Kingsport is a factory town. It always has been and always will be. The larger smell issue can be linked to the paper mill (it is nowhere near the smell of other "paper mill towns")... If you really want to experience the true stench of Kingsport- drive down Industry Dr. past the sewage plant with your windows down on a nice warm August afternoon. As for Eastman stinking up the tri-cities... That is a fallacy.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:00 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregetn View Post
I agree with mbmouse... I can tell you that the smell is nowhere near what it used to be. Eastman has spent a lot of money and time on reducing their impact on the environment. Does it still smell? Yes, occasionally it does. The fact of the matter is Kingsport is a factory town. It always has been and always will be. The larger smell issue can be linked to the paper mill (it is nowhere near the smell of other "paper mill towns")... If you really want to experience the true stench of Kingsport- drive down Industry Dr. past the sewage plant with your windows down on a nice warm August afternoon. As for Eastman stinking up the tri-cities... That is a fallacy.
I lived in Kingsport on East Sevier Drive in the 60's and the odor was horrible, especially in the early morning. But, I got used to it.

Here in Nashville, I lived downtown for a few years back in the 80's. You think Kingsport stunk, downtown Nashville beat Kingsport hands down in the odor department.

Within 1 mile of where I lived and worked, there was the Nashville Sewage Plant, a cow rendering plant, the transfer station (where garbage was burned to supply cooling and heating for downtown buildings. It burnt down a few years ago) and a medical incinerator. When I used to tell people that Nashville stunk, I meant it literally.

Nashville has cleaned up its act. I don't live downtown anymore. I live by the airport and there are no odors in this area.

Every time I go home to visit my folks in Gray, I can spell the odor from Kingsport, if the wind is blowing from the right (or maybe wrong) direction. Funny, thing, it brings back fond memories of my childhood when I lived in Kingsport in the 60's.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
I drove by there today and got a nice wiff of something.

Snapped some photos too!

If there were more of these loblolly pines, they would hide it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol