Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
That makes sense- the developers haven't come in BUT no- I have had my share of strip malls and frankly if I never see another Chili's again thats fine with me. Some people have taste and would appreciate something eclectic, or gourmet- esp. people moving here from other cities- Not every American thinks Texas Roadhouse is upscale cuisine.
Pardon me for asking but this is evident in all of your posts in all of the threads - why the heck did you move to Eastern Tennessee if you want to change it to be something else? Why didn't you just rattle your jewlry someplace else and move to a place that has all of those upscale things you crave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 07:39 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That would be a mistake. Why would they want to do that? Asheville is overcrowded. Parking is scarce. It's really artsy-fartsy and full of tourists. Jobs are hard to come by. Zoning laws are invisible. Restaurants open and close faster than you change your underwear. It's full of big city northern state liberal transplants. It's slipped dramatically as a desirable relocation destination from where it was just a few years ago. It nontradtional. And they want to do that to Eastern Tennessee?
I'm not saying I disagree with you. But, downtown Asheville is full of things to do and places to see. Downtown JC has absolutely nothing but buildings that are eyesores.

I don't think it would go over as well in JC. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to do something with it.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Restaurants open and close faster than you change your underwear. It's full of big city northern state liberal transplants.

OOOh liberal is a bad thing?. How diplomatic of you. And people have different tastes. It makes the world go round.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Actually there is a Downtown J.C rejuvenation committee that has been doing great things in downtown. Compared to the ghost town it was 20 years ago (according to hubby that lived through the thriving downtown to it's desertion then the beginnings of it's revitalization) If you want to see what they are doing, check out their web site: http://www.jcdevelopment.org/
There are a few nice places downtown for night life, I like the Sophisticated Otter, great club type place that has some good music venue options, some not so good,IMO, but it shows they have variety. There are some great stores there too, I LOVE the big antique store there on Main St. There is nice little music shop that I believe offers coffee and locals bring there instruments and play. They also have a few upscale home decorating stores and the Hands on Museum, they rebuilt that nice big library and the churches there are beautiful.
Revitalization takes time. Maybe the town doesn't want big developers coming in and ripping down those great old buildings, but giving better incentives and grants to local independently owned bussiness.....you know, the way it was originally? My opinion, let the chains and department stores that are in every other town, stay to the outside of downtown. That way the ambiance of "down town historic home town" can come back to it's fullest. Wouldn't that be nicer than "hurry up and get it done so it looks better"? I'd rather have it done right even if it takes another 10 years.
Just my opinion.
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Is the Sophisticated Otter still open? I heard someone say it closed.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 PM

I drove by there about 2 weeks ago, looked open to me. I will check for sure though and let you know.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 PM

34 posts, read 129,473 times
Why do I want to change things in east TN? Because I believe there are better ways to get things done, which is exactly what our ancestors did in this land! Asheville is an oasis to me, and JC becoming more like it would be really great. You can still find bunch of rural, less developed, slow-paced, laid-back areas in east TN so why worried?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with politics. I would find it hard to believe that the politicians in Johnson City--the largest city in and the cash cow of the Tri Cities--want their downtown to be a pig sty.

It's mere economics. If a developer could make money by renovating some of the nicer buildings in downtown Johnson City, it would've been done by now. But apparently most people in that area would rather do their shopping at strip malls, live in subdivisions, and eat at chain restaurants in the suburbs.
This thread just popped up at the bottom of the page... Very interesting comments!

*Yup*, it's a mystery why city officials have shown so little real support for downtown JC --- except great lip service (on occasion) to downtown folks who have been lobbying for years to get some help.

You've no idea how many people have tried hard to unravel city policies (and politics) and understand why of all the Tri-cities, Johnson City can't figure out how to help their downtown - even though they (the city) have been told numerous times what simple things can be done to produce results! Some of us have even wondered if the city mindset is to eventually move all city facilities closer to the new corporate developments (Roan and State of Franklin) - especially so after the power board left their downtown complex for a brand new mega-structure in Gray(?)..

This was before the big 'to-do' and fear about the downtown courthouse's structural problems, which preceded the eventual decision to move *that* facility to Jonesborough - with barely a squawk from the city commission - despite the protests of many folks. (Purported 'structural or system problems' with older municipal bldgs is traditionally the first sign before new multi-million dollar bldgs are proposed and built). But the downtown courthouse building is *still* occupied so I guess it's still considered safe??

In a recent meeting of downtown builders and owners with city officials, we proposed that the city could lend a big hand by moving even one or two city offices to some of the many available office spaces downtown. They didn't seem very receptive to that idea.. Basically, what we've gotten are occasional pats on the head - and unfortunately the one time that *big* developers did a project downtown (Tipton Street) their lease and sales prices were so high that the market just couldn't support it. So now the city is even more reluctant to help.. (You might have seen a very recent Press article and excellent editorial about this).
And finally, as I noted on another thread, the biggest problem has been extremely restrictive building codes which have kept many small developers from fully renovating or finishing their bldgs - and that is another story in and of itself..
Sorry for the rant but we've tried for so many years to find a resolution, that we like many others have either given up - or are just treading water. It's been sad and even financially hard for some folks who had such great hopes for downtown JC. We're some of the ones still treading water - and haven't given up - yet!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,796 times
Well, don't know how many of you have any interest in all the menandering craziness of downtown JC's trials and tribulations but just when you've just about given up hope (per the above lament) along comes one person willing (and able) to make a difference.. (Maybe you've seen the bumper stickler - 'One Person CAN make a difference!' - it's true..)
Well - we've been trying for years to get the hazardous, ugly sidewalks in front of our building repaired and finally met Commissioner Marcie Walker (a dedicated and hard-working new city commissioner) who arranged for the aforementioned meeting with city staff to address some of downtown JC's concerns - like code enforcement,among other things. We'd told her after that meeting about some of our long history trying to get things done downtown.Well, tonight she called and said she'd talked with public works PhilPinzola and the city will soon repair the sidewalk 'at our convenience' (since we plan more major exterior work on our bldg). In addition, with the retirement of the current bldg inspector, they also plan to hire someone experienced with the IBCode who will fully understand what one can reasonably do downtown within the codes - and that person will be "friendly" to downtown renovators. Might seem like a small thing, but to us and others downtown it will make a *huge* difference. (I'd post a pic of our 1920's building if I could figure out how! Chances are anyone who's visited downtown would probably know it - and even might have toured it during the Blue Plum Festival, something we've done in the past)
Just thought I'd share our 'update'...

Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Well, don't know how many of you have any interest in all the menandering craziness of downtown JC's trials and tribulations but just when you've just about given up hope (per the above lament) along comes one person willing (and able) to make a difference.. (Maybe you've seen the bumper stickler - 'One Person CAN make a difference!' - it's true..)
Well - we've been trying for years to get the hazardous, ugly sidewalks in front of our building repaired and finally met Commissioner Marcie Walker (a dedicated and hard-working new city commissioner) who arranged for the aforementioned meeting with city staff to address some of downtown JC's concerns - like code enforcement,among other things. We'd told her after that meeting about some of our long history trying to get things done downtown.Well, tonight she called and said she'd talked with public works PhilPinzola and the city will soon repair the sidewalk 'at our convenience' (since we plan more major exterior work on our bldg). In addition, with the retirement of the current bldg inspector, they also plan to hire someone experienced with the IBCode who will fully understand what one can reasonably do downtown within the codes - and that person will be "friendly" to downtown renovators. Might seem like a small thing, but to us and others downtown it will make a *huge* difference. (I'd post a pic of our 1920's building if I could figure out how! Chances are anyone who's visited downtown would probably know it - and even might have toured it during the Blue Plum Festival, something we've done in the past)
Just thought I'd share our 'update'...
Good news! I hope this means steps forward to the benifit of downtown. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol