U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:00 AM

14,499 posts, read 25,347,848 times

Advertisements

There are varying opinions on this- nice quaint old buildings- and they are building some condos, but are they bringing any business in? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Sunny.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 PM

479 posts, read 1,305,416 times
I've heard for the past couple of years they are going to try and make it more like downtown Asheville, NC. But so far I haven't seen anything happening. It has a lot of potential.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 PM

Thumbs up Asheville is fun-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I've heard for the past couple of years they are going to try and make it more like downtown Asheville, NC. But so far I haven't seen anything happening. It has a lot of potential.
That would be nice. Russo's is a nice restaurant but doesn't seem to get crowded.

sunny.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 PM

479 posts, read 1,305,416 times
Is Russo's in Asheville I'm assuming? They have such great restaurants there.

It seems like they have abandoned downtown JC and everything is moving out to North JC.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 PM

12,880 posts, read 36,497,791 times
Quote:
Is Russo's in Asheville I'm assuming? They have such great restaurants there.

It seems like they have abandoned downtown JC and everything is moving out to North JC.
Yeah I can't stand that. One of the reasons I like Asheville and Chattanooga is because they have really nice downtowns. Downtown Johnson City has a lot of potential. It'll just take a lot of people with the mindset that downtown is worth saving. It has to be a community effort, and not just a few developers with big wallets.

If there was a big demand for a rejuvenated downtown Johnson City, it would've been done by now.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM

My neighbor mentioned they were trying to renovate it down there since the early 90's The State of Franklin stores, unfortunately- took the potential $$ away- It would be nice if the made it like Main St. in Jonesborough- such a quaint area. Guess it has to do with politics.

sunny

Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM

12,880 posts, read 36,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
My neighbor mentioned they were trying to renovate it down there since the early 90's The State of Franklin stores, unfortunately- took the potential $$ away- It would be nice if the made it like Main St. in Jonesborough- such a quaint area. Guess it has to do with politics.

sunny
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with politics. I would find it hard to believe that the politicians in Johnson City--the largest city in and the cash cow of the Tri Cities--want their downtown to be a pig sty.

It's mere economics. If a developer could make money by renovating some of the nicer buildings in downtown Johnson City, it would've been done by now. But apparently most people in that area would rather do their shopping at strip malls, live in subdivisions, and eat at chain restaurants in the suburbs.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 19,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
But apparently most people in that area would rather do their shopping at strip malls, live in subdivisions, and eat at chain restaurants in the suburbs.
ugh! sounds like what's happening all over Florida to me. It's a shame.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Lightbulb Not so-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with politics. I would find it hard to believe that the politicians in Johnson City--the largest city in and the cash cow of the Tri Cities--want their downtown to be a pig sty.

It's mere economics. If a developer could make money by renovating some of the nicer buildings in downtown Johnson City, it would've been done by now. But apparently most people in that area would rather do their shopping at strip malls, live in subdivisions, and eat at chain restaurants in the suburbs.
That makes sense- the developers haven't come in BUT no- I have had my share of strip malls and frankly if I never see another Chili's again thats fine with me. Some people have taste and would appreciate something eclectic, or gourmet- esp. people moving here from other cities- Not every American thinks Texas Roadhouse is upscale cuisine.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:33 AM

36,552 posts, read 37,573,514 times
Quote:
That would be a mistake. Why would they want to do that? Asheville is overcrowded. Parking is scarce. It's really artsy-fartsy and full of tourists. Jobs are hard to come by. Zoning laws are invisible. Restaurants open and close faster than you change your underwear. It's full of big city northern state liberal transplants. It's slipped dramatically as a desirable relocation destination from where it was just a few years ago. It nontradtional. And they want to do that to Eastern Tennessee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol