Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

https://www.tripridetn.org/

I'm interested to see what others think here. Before some recent Facebook articles from local media, I didn't know when this was occurring. I remember hearing something about a previous Pride event, but don't know details.

News came out either Monday or yesterday that Eastman is sponsoring the event. Citi in Gray is also a major sponsor. I went to the event's website and I didn't see anything remotely objectionable or in poor taste.

Go to any of the local media Facebook articles on this. Hundreds of comments per article, and the majority seem to be very negative and hostile to the idea. I'm fairly conservative politically, but pretty open-minded on social issues and I knew there would be some objections to this locally - however, I'm still surprised at all of the negative publicity and really mean-spirited comments being ginned up on social media.

A lot of the stuff I'm seeing is hateful and downright backward - some of my friends have commented on it, saying it's a sign that the area is "going blue" and "going to lose the Lord's blessing." While I understand the objections, I'm pretty shocked at how hostile the area is toward this rally and Eastman's sponsorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
I am fine with a Pride parade, and don't see any reason why anyone would object to someone having an event like this regardless of their political affiliation. If you don't like it, don't attend or go downtown during that time.

What I don't understand is why it is a news story that Eastman or Citi is a sponsor. Hundreds of local companies sponsor all kinds of events ranging from little league teams to major festivals. Why the need to have a story in the local newspaper specifically mentioning Eastman's sponsorship of this or any other event?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM

Eastman is the "big enchilada." There are tons of small companies sponsoring it. None of them made the news, but one of the most prestigious local employers sponsoring something that is controversial with the local culture is probably newsworthy.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM

677 posts, read 1,072,395 times
I think it is significant that both Citi and Eastman have committed to sponsoring this event. There have been Pride celebrations in recent years at Winged Deer and Rotary parks but they were more grassroots in nature whereas this appears to be a legitimate well-planned festival. It is very encouraging to see such large employers in the region, especially Eastman, throwing support behind an event that many in the region might see as controversial.

Many people in my generation (I'm 32), even conservatives, don't care about same sex marriage or anything else LGBTQ. It's just a non-issue with them. With the region's population naturally declining and needing to rely on transplants for growth, it is important to shake off the long-standing backwards, ignorant hillbilly stereotype that many have of the region. Unfortunately, the comments on the news stories just serve to reinforce that stereotype.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I think it is significant that both Citi and Eastman have committed to sponsoring this event. There have been Pride celebrations in recent years at Winged Deer and Rotary parks but they were more grassroots in nature whereas this appears to be a legitimate well-planned festival. It is very encouraging to see such large employers in the region, especially Eastman, throwing support behind an event that many in the region might see as controversial.

Many people in my generation (I'm 32), even conservatives, don't care about same sex marriage or anything else LGBTQ. It's just a non-issue with them. With the region's population naturally declining and needing to rely on transplants for growth, it is important to shake off the long-standing backwards, ignorant hillbilly stereotype that many have of the region. Unfortunately, the comments on the news stories just serve to reinforce that stereotype.
Agreed. I'm far from a liberal, but it doesn't register as that important to me. If people don't like it, don't go. The area's reputation for being backward/ignorant is bad enough as it is, and a mess like this on social media is a black eye.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
"some of my friends have commented on it, saying it's a sign that the area is "going blue" and "going to lose the Lord's blessing." While I understand the objections, I'm pretty shocked at how hostile the area is toward this rally and Eastman's sponsorship."

Their your friends

Old 08-08-2018, 07:20 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
This is a pretty exciting thing for The Tri-Cities to have, in terms of event diversity in general.

I'm not surprised by some of the reactions, though, unfortunately. Although the large majority of those under 40 could really care less about a person's sexual orientation, even some of that group and older demographics in the Tri-Cities are strongly rooted in their churches (most pushback from Baptist, Pentecostal and of course Mormon), and are not comfortable with a gay pride event -- out in the open.

Bottom line though is that as older generations get older and older, these reactions will continue to fade away, and ultimately all generations will be open and accepting.
Big brand businesses are opening up to LGBT events because a) it's the right thing to do b) it's good business to attract new customers, no matter their background c) most LGBT have much more disposable income and businesses know this, so the big ones are jumping at the chance to be LGBT friendly.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Bottom line though is that as older generations get older and older, these reactions will continue to fade away, and ultimately all generations will be open and accepting.
Happy thought, but I'm a little skeptical. I work retail, my daughter and some of her friends have done some retail over the years and sadly in this area we have worked with a good number of twenty somethings (and younger) that make nasty comments about LGBT people. A lot of it seems to come from ignorance, from a lack of awareness of what goes on beyond their personal experience. To me it feels like here in this area it's more a matter of education (or lack thereof) and upbringing than strictly an age problem.
I hope I'm off work that day, I'd love to go.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:38 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
As long as it's not at taxpayer expense, I really do not care.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 PM

364 posts, read 496,265 times
I really don't see a Pride event as controversial at all. It may have been 15-20 years ago. Eastman recruits top talent from around the country. More diversity makes more people feel welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
View detailed profiles of: