Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times

Advertisements

If I had a job at Carmax in Bristol and my spouse had a job with Bristol TN Schools, I would want to live in Bristol. But everyone knows the city schools pay better, so that is a pretty tough job to score; county schools have more openings.

Generally, the city schools (Kingsport, JC, Bristol) are better than county, but Sullivan South HS and Daniel Boone (Washington Co) are good county high schools and their feeder schools are also generally much better than the other county schools. Sullivan South HS is set to become a middle school under a consolidation plan that is currently under construction (West Ridge HS - for the 2021 school year).

https://www.wjhl.com/local/architect...her/1576287222
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:56 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Good responses here.

Live in Bristol TN and shop in Bristol VA like everyone else. You can certainly go further out toward Sullivan Central area/Blountville but the commute will be a little longer. You can look at the area and see what suits you. Generally, the county areas are going to be less friendly - this is just generally speaking. You can always look at living on the lake and commuting in as well.

I would not advise commuting all the way from Kingsport or Johnson City.

One of my sons friends actually works as a salesperson at the Carmax store your husband is looking at; it is a nice group of people from what I understand.

It is a little tough to break into a group of friends in this area but name an area where it isn't. Work at it and you will do fine.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 AM

66 posts, read 61,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
If I had a job at Carmax in Bristol and my spouse had a job with Bristol TN Schools, I would want to live in Bristol. But everyone knows the city schools pay better, so that is a pretty tough job to score; county schools have more openings.

Generally, the city schools (Kingsport, JC, Bristol) are better than county, but Sullivan South HS and Daniel Boone (Washington Co) are good county high schools and their feeder schools are also generally much better than the other county schools. Sullivan South HS is set to become a middle school under a consolidation plan that is currently under construction (West Ridge HS - for the 2021 school year).

https://www.wjhl.com/local/architect...her/1576287222
Thank you for showing me this. A new school in the area would also be beneficial as it would open up jobs for teachers. I know if he gets the job transfer that he (my husband) will most definitely be working at Carmax. I will be applying to the schools that have any science teacher positions open. If a new school would open, that would definitely draw us more towards Bristol as it might be easier for me to get into.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 AM

66 posts, read 61,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Good responses here.

Live in Bristol TN and shop in Bristol VA like everyone else. You can certainly go further out toward Sullivan Central area/Blountville but the commute will be a little longer. You can look at the area and see what suits you. Generally, the county areas are going to be less friendly - this is just generally speaking. You can always look at living on the lake and commuting in as well.

I would not advise commuting all the way from Kingsport or Johnson City.

One of my sons friends actually works as a salesperson at the Carmax store your husband is looking at; it is a nice group of people from what I understand.

It is a little tough to break into a group of friends in this area but name an area where it isn't. Work at it and you will do fine.

Good luck!
Would living on the lake be extremely expensive though? We don't mind commuting as we have been doing it all of our lives for the most part. We are most interested in looking at an area to settle that is family friendly and safe. If we have to be outside Bristol or Johnson City to find that, we would be okay with that. The Carmax store in Bristol seemed very nice and all the people we met while there were friendly. We have a friend that works at that store as well, small world. I think we will visit again sometime this year to check out Bristol a little more.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
'Safe' is relative. I have seen very few areas of Bristol that seem unsafe, though are are pockets of very poor and rundown n'hoods.(There are also some extremely nice n'hoods too) But that is my perspective after having moved here from Memphis. I was utterly amazed at the lack of graffiti and other visible gang activity here.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:47 PM

35,070 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
Thank you for showing me this. A new school in the area would also be beneficial as it would open up jobs for teachers. I know if he gets the job transfer that he (my husband) will most definitely be working at Carmax. I will be applying to the schools that have any science teacher positions open. If a new school would open, that would definitely draw us more towards Bristol as it might be easier for me to get into.
Keep in mind that several schools are going to be consolidating into this new one. My guess is that there would be a loss of positions rather than new openings being created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
Would living on the lake be extremely expensive though? We don't mind commuting as we have been doing it all of our lives for the most part. We are most interested in looking at an area to settle that is family friendly and safe. If we have to be outside Bristol or Johnson City to find that, we would be okay with that. The Carmax store in Bristol seemed very nice and all the people we met while there were friendly. We have a friend that works at that store as well, small world. I think we will visit again sometime this year to check out Bristol a little more.
Keep in mind that Boone Lake is at a low level right now due to issues with the dam. The drawdown occurred in either 2013 or 2014. Currently, the lake is expected to be at full pool in 2022, but given the amount of time that has passed, trees have grown up in the former lake bed, creating new animal habitat, etc. I expect filling the lake back up to be a brawl. I wouldn't buy property on the lake expecting a quick flip. It is usable in the summer and it's not a pond or anything. There's still enough water to have fun, but obviously businesses that depending on boating and lake traffic are struggling.

You also asked me about Gray and Piney Flats in the PM. Piney Flats is OK, but is not a convenient commute to anywhere but Johnson City. While some development is occurring there, Gray is getting much more development. With that said, my aunt lives in Gray, I pass through there every day, and I'm not a big fan of it. Gray is kind of hot right now because it's close to north Johnson City without paying city taxes, but aside from some fast food restaurants and a Food City, there isn't a ton there. Gray might make sense if you want to be a bit closer to Bristol, but don't like Bristol at all.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 01-12-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
Gray is very convenient; everything in the TRI is within a 30 minute drive. It's in the best of the county school districts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol