Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:17 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirl63 View Post
In considering a move to JC myself, I was pleased to read this, for what it's worth. JC may not be as progressive or hip as Nashville or Asheville, but knowing that there isn't outright aggression is a comfort.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-i-...-bible-belt-13
Good read--wow! Thanks for sharing that.

You'll go out in downtown JC and see lots and lots of gay couples, friends and just people hangin' out in the mix. No one gives it a second glance in that element at all.

I do have to say, after visiting other towns its size in the "Bible Belt south," Johnson City folks do have a no one cares, live and let live mentality. It has definitely progressed well beyond perception, its location and its size.

JC has a homey, easy going vibe that is super friendly in general, and can be hard to find in other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 19,844 times
Great to hear this perspective, jjbradleynyc! I'm a straight middle-aged woman but I feel more at home in places that are, at the very least, accepting (if not demonstratively supportive) of the LGBTQ community. I've considered Knoxville but need to be closer to Charlotte, where I have family. Will look forward to a visit this fall!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Really? You use the term "gun culture" to ask about crime?

So many of these inane posts lately by people trying to stir the pot. If you were REALLY serious (you're not) you would look up the FBI Uniform crime reports.
OP is doing same crap in Arkansas forum.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenlee View Post
Hi all! Based on what is happening these days about gun violence, I was wondering if the gun culture is popular in the JC area? Do many people and families own a gun? Have you heard of any gun violence happening in JC and its surrounding areas? Thanks!
I live outside the Tri Cities area but still in East Tennessee. I don’t know anyone who does not have guns in their home. Many have carry/concealed permits. A lot of women even carry. Guns are a normal part of American life. Whenever someone questions something like this I always point out that Tennessee is a deep red state. If you move here expect to find conservative people who are not politically correct, who go to church and yes who own guns. If you find that bothersome I’m going to bet that you will not like living in Tennessee.

Mass shootings? Nothing like your seeing on the news in other states.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:36 AM

127 posts, read 142,970 times
A relevant video with levity. Those of you who take the time to watch the two minute video will have a good laugh about how someone pro 2A to deal with the unrealistic presumptions of someone who is opposed to 2A rights
https://youtu.be/JIiFeZ7r6aU

Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Let's remember the dentist office shooting in colonial heights last year. The bad guy walks in and shoots his wife then starts shooting at others. A good guy shoots the bad guy from the dentist's chair preventing further threat. That's NE TN gun culture in a nut shell.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM

127 posts, read 142,970 times
As we have seen time and time again, you’re most likely to be killed by a gun and a person with bad intentions while in a gun free zone. Along that line, I wish that signs did not carry the weight of law in Tennessee. In Florida signage is not something we need to concern ourselves with

Old 08-16-2019, 01:00 PM

141 posts, read 178,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margret lynn View Post
Being Transgender, I moved here 5 years ago and have had no issues with people in Bristol, Kingsport or Johnson City. I have several gay, lesbian & TG friends. From time to time you get that sneering look or that under their breath comment, but hey your going to get that any where. But most have been very accepting of me. I love it here. A lot better than south Alabama.

How ironic. I grew up in VA and a very close friend I grew up with lives in Kingsport, TN so I will check out these posts from time to time. I now live in Dothan, AL and tolerance for quite a bit of things is super low here. Eastern TN is beautiful and much of my heart will always belong to NC (my family lived there for fourteen years). Southeastern Alabama....not so much. Glad things are working out for you there and much hope for continued happiness. Also just saw that my hometown minor league team (Pulaski Yankees) is playing Johnson City on August 18th. Go Yankees!

Old 08-18-2019, 05:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Mod Note: I combined all of the OP's questions/threads about Johnson City into one thread.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
A further Mod Note: Reminder that Posts about Guns are to be related to the Tri Cities, or in this case, Johnson City. Discussing Guns or any other aspect more broadly is not appropriate in this forum. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol