Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 PM

47 posts, read 91,325 times

Advertisements

Is Eastern TN or Northeastern TN LGBT friendly? I know that Johnson City is relatively more progressive, but it might still not be as progressive as many bigger cities in other states. How about the level of tolerance among different cities and towns in the tri area as a whole? Are there some places for LGBT residents to socialize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 05:38 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenlee View Post
Is Eastern TN or Northeastern TN LGBT friendly? I know that Johnson City is relatively more progressive, but it might still not be as progressive as many bigger cities in other states. How about the level of tolerance among different cities and towns in the tri area as a whole? Are there some places for LGBT residents to socialize?
Not as much as nearby Asheville. There are like minded people wherever you go.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
There is a gay bar, New Beginnings. South side of town, university, and downtown are more liberal and diverse. JC is much more open to LGBT than surrounding communities. Asheville is much more progressive.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:04 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenlee View Post
Eastern TN is very much "Bible Belt" still, and mostly conservative.

Lots of folks will stay out of your business completely on the whole. But in East TN you will still get strange, shocked looks from residents if you are holding hands with the member of the same sex, or exhibit any PDA.

Johnson City is by far the "most gay friendly," but pales in comparison to many university cities and towns in the US. As others have said, Asheville, North Carolina is definitely more gay friendly, and definitely more progressive, and has been nicknamed "mini San Francisco."

In East Tennessee, Knoxville would be less conservative and more progressive for sure. Johnson City is still bogged down by the many Bible-thumping folks who consider the LGBT lifestyle a bad thing/sin. ETSU and the medical school definitely bring in a more diverse group of folks into the city, and that allows for a more cultured/world view with the environment of JC. As opposed to Bristol and Kingsport, which are both pretty much dominated by conservative Christians who look down on the LGBT lifestyle, unfortunately.

If interested in East Tennessee outside of Knoxville, I would still shoot for Johnson City to live.

As for other towns which might be more open in East Tennessee, definitely take a look at the tourist areas of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Sevierville.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
JC is much more open to LGBT than surrounding communities. .

But we still had a movement a year or two ago to ignore the Federal laws regarding gay marriage. The preachers got their flocks out by the busload. Not that the people were that offended by it, but they behaved as the head of the flock told them to. It really was a very sad moment for "Christians" who theoretically are tolerant and humane toward others. They certainly were NOT during this episode.

The Council voted it down...by one vote as I recall.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:41 PM

47 posts, read 91,325 times
Default Taxes in Johnson City TN

I currently live in New York State and am considering to move to JC, TN in the near future. I've heard that the real estate tax isn't high around Johnson City, but I visited a few real estate websites and it seems that people still pay at least about $1000 a year for a 1200 sqf house, and some even pay much higher. I wonder if the online data is accurate? Would you mind sharing how much real estate tax that you pay if you live near the JC area? Other than real estate tax, do you also pay additional taxes such as school or village taxes? If so, how much?

As I said, the sales tax in my current New York State is high (8%). However, there is no tax for grocery shopping (unprocessed food). Is that true that people in TN pay an even higher sales tax, and even for your groceries?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Here's a kind of basic rule of thumb of I'd use.

If located within the city limits, you'll pay both city and county taxes. If you live in the county, you will pay just county taxes. There are no school or village level taxes.

I recently sold my condo in the city of Johnson City. My property taxes were roughly 1% of the value of my condo annually, but my condo was inexpensive. With the city taxes, you also get extra services - much better snow removal, reduced cost city trash pickup vs. a private collector like Waste Management, at the curb limb collection, discounted access the JC Memorial Center (community gym/pool), etc. City schools are better than county schools here. It comes out to be more expensive than the county, but not by as much as you'd expect. Compared to NY, property taxes are a pittance. FYI - nearby Sullivan County has somewhat lower property tax rates, cheaper water/sewer, but worse schools and just isn't as nice of a place to live.

Local sales tax rates are between 9.5% - 9.75%, Unprepared food, typical grocery store items, are taxed at a rate of 5.5%. Prescription drugs are not taxed. Keep in mind that groceries here are surprisingly expensive. I'm from here, but lived in two larger Midwestern metros over the past seven years, and grocery prices here were much higher. JC has a wide variety of grocers, from lower cost options like Aldi, to mainline stores like Kroger and Food City (the dominant regional chain), and upmarket options like Fresh Market and Earthfare. Still, you may be paying more for many items than you're used to, some items are likely to be unavailable, and then you're taxed on top of the higher prices.

https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en...-to-sales-tax-

Also, alcohol and tobacco products are much more heavily taxed in TN than in nearby VA. It's not uncommon at all for a 24 pack of Bud Light or similar to be $22-$24 in TN, but $15-$16 in VA. Sales tax in VA is roughly 5%, but about 2.5% on food.

Even when I lived in JC, I probably did half of my grocery/Walmart/Target/Sam's shopping in VA. The sales tax savings add up over the course of a year, especially if you can find a reason to go to Bristol, VA anyway.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:44 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Serious Conversation gave a very thorough and accurate answer, though I will say that in my experience the users of this board are much more sensitive to grocery prices than the general public. Still, the information is accurate. I would add that there is no wheel tax in Washington County, so registering your car is cheaper than other areas. Registering your car annually will cost about $29 in this area. In comparison, Hawkins County has a $67 wheel tax to add to that, and other counties across the state have wheel taxes approaching $100.

Regarding property taxes- yes living in the city is basically double taxation for improved services. The county raises the property tax rate much more frequently than the city does.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I live in Bristol city limits and my taxes on a 3bd, 1000 sq ft house is roughly 1k a year

Old 06-10-2019, 03:34 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
It should be noted that there is no income tax or inheritance tax in TN. You probably already know that, but it had not been mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol