Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 6,538 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Husband and I are heading to Tri-City area July 3-7 to investigate potential towns for relocation from north metro Atlanta. After 20 years, we're tired of fooling ourselves that we are city people when all we want is to own some land and live a more rural lifestyle. We're also tired of the impersonal, uninvolved communities which are prevalent here. We are looking for a smaller town where owning acreage is a possibility, but would love to hone in on areas where there is local pride and a sense of community involvement, where we could contribute. For example, we really like Abingdon, VA for all these reasons, but prefer to put down roots in TN. Husband (manufacturing engineer) is searching jobs in the JC/Bristol/Asheville area and is willing to commute up to an hour. Luckily my job allows remote work, but I'm keeping my options open. We are early 40s, no kids or plans for any, 1 dog (lab). We are extremely outdoorsy - hiking, camping,hunting, ORV. Would love some reccos of places we should check out on our scoping trip in a few weeks. Our home base will be Warrior's Path State park (camping), so Rogersville, Jonesborough, Kingsport, Elizabethton and Erwin are all on our list - do these fit the bill? Any others? Sincere thanks to all in advance. - KH

Last edited by KendraH; 06-17-2019 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Abingdon is a very nice small town, but fairly well-to-do and expensive for that part of Virginia. The closest thing to Abingdon is likely Jonesborough in Washington County, TN. Jonesborough is the oldest town in Tennessee with a quaint/cute downtown area, and has some minor tourist appeal through the storytelling center and "oldest town in Tennessee" thing. Still, it's mostly quiet, fairly rural, and well kept up.

If you can afford it, that would be where I'd be looking at acreage. You may also want to consider the parts of Greene County close to Washington County (Limestone, Chuckey, etc., maybe around the city of Greeneville).

Elizabethton and Erwin are also fine. Both have a Walmart and grocery stores. Elizabethton is larger with more to do. Both are fairly short drives back to Johnson City. If your husband were to find work in Asheville, Erwin is the best option. Both communities are sort of trying to rebrand themselves around their nearby outdoor offerings and proximity to Johnson City, while maintaining their small town nature.

Rogersville itself is OK, but I can't recommend Hawkins County. Drugs, poverty, and crime are issues there. Rogersville is around thirty minutes or so back to Kingsport and is far removed from the rest of the area.

I also can't recommend Kingsport. I live in downtown Kingsport in a nice apartment complex, and there are a lot of issues with drug dealing and property crime where I am. I grew up in Kingsport, but lived in Johnson City for most of the past two years until my job was moved back to Kingsport. Kingsport has gone from middle class over the years to working poor. Drug abuse and crime rates are higher than surrounding communities. I'm moving back to Johnson City/Washington County as soon as my lease is up. Some rural areas in Sullivan County, maybe around Blountville or Bluff City, may make sense for you.

Keep in mind that the more rural you get around here, the more problems you get with drugs and crime related to drugs. The whole area is really quite rural with some pockets of urban. Coming from metro Atlanta, it will all seem rural to you.

Are you planning to have kids? If so, you'll want to be zoned to Johnson City, Kingsport, or Washington County schools, likely in that order. Otherwise, the schools here, especially rural schools, are fairly poor.

What's your budget? Acreage around Jonesborough, which is the nicest rural area around here by far, will not be cheap.

Definitely secure jobs before you move. Employment is a big challenge here for a lot of folks.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 AM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Kingsport has gone from middle class over the years to working poor.

That is incorrect. Kingsport and JC have virtually the same per capita income, and it was virtually the same in 2000 per the information on city-data.com

//www.city-data.com/city/Johnso...Tennessee.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Kingsport-Tennessee.html

Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
That is incorrect. Kingsport and JC have virtually the same per capita income, and it was virtually the same in 2000 per the information on city-data.com

//www.city-data.com/city/Johnso...Tennessee.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Kingsport-Tennessee.html
Johnson City is going to be artificially low due to the large number of college students.

Drive around the cities and look at the housing stock. JC has much nicer housing stock in the urban core than Kingsport. JC has way more going on in terms of more upscale dining, retail, etc., than Kingsport. There are areas of the city of Kingsport like Fair Acres that remain fairly affluent, but the decline in manufacturing has hurt Kingsport much more so than Johnson City. Kingsport has also annexed surrounding suburban areas like Colonial Heights that are much more affluent the city core.

Anything "upmarket" opening in this area is basically going to Johnson City and now Bristol over Kingsport.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 AM

@Serious Conversation - appreciate this info! Nope, kids are not on the radar at all. We live 40 miles north of Atlanta now, but spend almost every weekend hiking or camping in the North GA mtns, because we just prefer life away from the city, so rural is more what we are seeking for sure, though relative proximity to a larger city comes in handy. After spending a year looking for acreage in North GA, it's just not a lot of bang for the buck, and the city mentality continues to creep further and further north. Also we live in an affluent area now and are fish out of water for sure.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraH View Post
@Serious Conversation - appreciate this info! Nope, kids are not on the radar at all. We live 40 miles north of Atlanta now, but spend almost every weekend hiking or camping in the North GA mtns, because we just prefer life away from the city, so rural is more what we are seeking for sure, though relative proximity to a larger city comes in handy. After spending a year looking for acreage in North GA, it's just not a lot of bang for the buck, and the city mentality continues to creep further and further north. Also we live in an affluent area now and are fish out of water for sure.
This sounds like Carter or Unicoi counties. Both have excellent outdoor opportunities, but are fairly close to Johnson City for employment and other amenities.

These are rural, mountainous counties, so acreage may be hilly. You may be on well water, septic, and not have broadband or cell service. Keep that in mind when looking at property.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Budget?
What type of acreage? flat, hills, or mountains?

W/o more info, I would recommend:
1. South JC around buffalo mountain - especially if you're into mountain biking
2. Jonesborough - less mountains more farms but a very close community
3. Elizabethton area
4. Erwin/Unicoi area
5. Rogersville

Honorable Mention (if you can go very rural): Mountain City, Shady Valley, and Hampton

Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM

@rccrain - thank you. Good questions on details. Preferably looking for pasture w. some woods. Views of hills/mtns is desirable. Sweet spot budget is $250K, but could go up if necessary.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 PM

143 posts, read 220,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraH View Post
@rccrain - thank you. Good questions on details. Preferably looking for pasture w. some woods. Views of hills/mtns is desirable. Sweet spot budget is $250K, but could go up if necessary.
$250K for land will get you a nice piece of acreage. For house and land, not so much.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Most JC and Jonesborough acreage will be 20 to 30k per acre. The areas in Hawkins County and Carter County will be half that. There's a smattering of existing housing like this, but you may be better off purchasing land and then building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol