U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 04:44 PM

589 posts, read 1,127,422 times

Advertisements

My son will know this week where he will be transferred to from Philly, and we are looking for what area is safe for he and his wife. They are in their early 30's. Safety is first, with local shopping as a second. Thank you so very much. Also would like to know what areas to Stay Away From !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,250,818 times
I would want to live close to where I work. There are no stay away areas - not like Philly at all. If there are kids, use relevant websites to stay in the higher rates schools, generally city schools and Washington County.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:29 AM

31,615 posts, read 25,715,859 times
Depends on your expectations.

My standard answer is Johnson City, then Bristol, then Kingsport. If they're working in Kingsport, the drive back and forth to Johnson City will be at least thirty minutes, pushing forty most of the time, in rush hour traffic. A shorter commute may outweigh the disadvantages of living in Kingsport.

If they're working in Bristol or Johnson City, I'd just live wherever they are working.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM

589 posts, read 1,127,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Depends on your expectations.

My standard answer is Johnson City, then Bristol, then Kingsport. If they're working in Kingsport, the drive back and forth to Johnson City will be at least thirty minutes, pushing forty most of the time, in rush hour traffic. A shorter commute may outweigh the disadvantages of living in Kingsport.

If they're working in Bristol or Johnson City, I'd just live wherever they are working.

Just found out my son will be working at the Tri-City airport. He is OK with a 40 minute commute. What does everyone suggestions? There are no children to worry about school systems

Old 08-15-2019, 11:47 AM

31,615 posts, read 25,715,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Just found out my son will be working at the Tri-City airport. He is OK with a 40 minute commute. What does everyone suggestions? There are no children to worry about school systems
Going to the airport, he can live virtually anywhere.

Gray is very close to the airport (~10 minute drive or so) and is basically a sprawling suburban residential area that has grown in recent years due to its proximity to both Kingsport and Johnson City. Gray has a grocery store and some limited dining and shopping, but is a quick shot back to Johnson City for more things. The Boone's Creek area would also be close and a good bet. If they want more urban, Johnson City to the airport through Gray isn't a bad commute.

The Colonial Heights area near Kingsport would also be close and a decent option. Colonial Heights is essentially a suburb of Kingsport - much like Gray, it has limited dining and shopping.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,250,818 times
The closest options that I would choose are Gray, North Johnson City / Boones Creek, Colonial Heights, and Blountville.
Basically, the HWY75 and HWY36 corridor would be convenient to work and central to all the TRI area has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>