U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 4,060 times

Advertisements

Leaving 1 acre of property in FL and searching for 3-4+ AC in the tri-cities area. We are traveling soon to visit the area over 4 days. About us, we are in our early 30’s, enjoy the outdoors, camping, etc. We have kids and to be frank, a good Catholic school is a must and I see there are a couple in the area. Is there anything we “must do” or see while visiting that is not overly time consuming since our primary goal is just getting a feel for the area?

I read online about drug and crime issues. How prevalent is this? Something to be concerned about?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:39 AM

28,286 posts, read 21,213,936 times
Kingsport has St. Dominic's school, Bristol has St. Anne's, and Johnson City has St. Mary's. The local Catholic community is fairly small.

What are you looking for in terms of housing and what is a rough budget? Do you need work?

Johnson City has become the premiere city in the area. It has the best offerings in terms of schools (public), shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. The presence of ETSU and the VA lead to more diversity than you might expect in a city that size. Bristol is in second place, and has seen extensive downtown development and retail growth over the past five to ten years. I'm in your age range, am a Kingsport native, and just moved out of Kingsport this week to Bristol. I wouldn't recommend Kingsport for a variety of reasons, and younger people around our ages tend to settle in Johnson City/Washington County, and even Bristol to an extent. Kingsport sort of caters to a retiree/older demographic.

If you're looking for outdoor recreation local to the Tri-Cities, check out Warrior's Path State Park and Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport, Steele Creek Park in Bristol, and Buffalo Mountain Park in Johnson City. More opportunities abound farther out.

If you're looking for a few acres and a home, that's going to be doable, but my guess is that you're going to be looking at $200,000 minimum in the nicer areas of Sullivan County, and probably more in Washington County.

Random violent crime here is very low, and most crime is contained among people who already know each other. Drug use, mostly meth and opiates, is a problem, but not generally that visible aside from certain neighborhoods/areas. Rural areas tend to have more drug use. Johnson City and Bristol are around national average crime rates. Kingsport is about 50% higher.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 4,060 times
Thanks for the reply. I work remote and can work from anywhere with an internet connection. My wife would need work in the dental field. Budget wise we’d look for acreage with a house in the 300-350k range. Possibly even a hobby farm type setting.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:03 PM

28,286 posts, read 21,213,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flturd View Post
Thanks for the reply. I work remote and can work from anywhere with an internet connection. My wife would need work in the dental field. Budget wise we’d look for acreage with a house in the 300-350k range. Possibly even a hobby farm type setting.
The budget would be workable depending on what you want house-wise. It won't be a mansion, think a ranch or split foyer on a little bit of acreage. Probably like the below.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-03473?view=qv

If you're interested in hobby farming, I'd look into the Greeneville, Limestone, Chuckey areas. They have good agricultural land, and still have mountain views in many areas. Greeneville has a Catholic church, but I don't believe it has a Catholic school.

Definitely have her try to secure employment before moving.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,951,533 times
Add Watauga, Piney Flatts, Elizabethton, and Bristol

Old 09-24-2019, 01:34 PM

459 posts, read 1,185,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The budget would be workable depending on what you want house-wise. It won't be a mansion, think a ranch or split foyer on a little bit of acreage. Probably like the below.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-03473?view=qv

If you're interested in hobby farming, I'd look into the Greeneville, Limestone, Chuckey areas. They have good agricultural land, and still have mountain views in many areas. Greeneville has a Catholic church, but I don't believe it has a Catholic school.

Definitely have her try to secure employment before moving.
I grew up Catholic in Greeneville and can confirm that there is not a Catholic school in town. I think maybe 2 or 3 other folks in my graduating high school class were Catholic. The entire area is mostly Protestant, but G-ville in particular has a large Southern Baptist presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or