U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 596 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else remember diving around the island as a kid.....my Mom used to drive me out there to "cruise" around the island I remember people used to just cruise around the island( with a manmade rock and pavement bridge leading to the island) last time I was there they had built somekind of community center on the island and blocked off the road. This was in the seventy's
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 07:56 PM

28,286 posts, read 21,213,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
Does anyone else remember diving around the island as a kid.....my Mom used to drive me out there to "cruise" around the island I remember people used to just cruise around the island( with a manmade rock and pavement bridge leading to the island) last time I was there they had built somekind of community center on the island and blocked off the road. This was in the seventy's
I am 33 and I never remember driving on Duck Island being allowed. I've seen a few people drive to the picnic shelters or something on a short term basis, but no one driving all the way around.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:31 PM

486 posts, read 1,145,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am 33 and I never remember driving on Duck Island being allowed. I've seen a few people drive to the picnic shelters or something on a short term basis, but no one driving all the way around.

You probably don't remember "cruising Broad Street" either but it happened. That was a fad of the sixties. Cruisers down there now use scooter chairs.

WPSP opened in the early fifties with the artificial causeway and a road circling what would have been an island. Once there were many ducks and the island came to be called Duck Island. Then came the geese and the goose poop which resulted in a ban on feeding the waterfowl. There were picnic tables and grills but no picnic pavilions on the island. Up on top of the island there was a building containing a short order grill but I don't recall the wait for an order ever being very short. The hours of operation were short however. The "cruising Broad" phenomenon spilled over to WPSP on weekend afternoons and the place would become gridlocked. The road on Duck Island and between the causeway and pool area would be lined with parked cars and people talking to traffic passing slowly or completely stopped. The rangers were not pleased with this situation nor were those folks trying to use the marina or other facilities. If you managed to reach your destination you would likely be entombed in your parking space till Monday.

Sometime in probably the late seventies or early eighties the road on the Duck Island was closed to only bike and foot traffic when the recreation building and pavilions were built. Some loop roads in the park were blocked to prevent circulation. Some U-turn locations outside the park were marked "no U-turn" but you know how well that is obeyed. They still seem to have warm weather issues with cruising congregation on the weekends but it's not like it used to be.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:53 AM

601 posts, read 1,391,613 times
It's a great state park. We have camped there 3 times. Every spring, they have a weekend festival where they offer guided nature walks, photography lessons in nature, creek walking and dip netting and an astronomy session at night. Close to our house (1.5-2 hours from Knoxville) makes it perfect for a weekend getaway.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 596 times
I remember "cruising" the island...it usually took an hour or more to get around the island and there would be poeple laying in the grwss and cars all around the island....kids would bring thier hot-rods out to show them off....and just families sittin in the grass....it used to be packed with people....I never cruised Broad St.....that was before my time I do remember when broad st. Was4 lanes wide....no parking in the middle....but the cops had put a stop to cruising...I was there on opening day of Fort Henry mall....I remember it being packed on the first day...I also remember going to "5 caves" when I was13-14 before they filled it in with ruble from building wal-mart....there used to be a pond at the bottum with a car from the 40's or 50's crashed into it...we used to go there at night to party....you know build a fire and drink and smoke all night long....it was like an ampitheater with 5 big tunnels in the walls...I also remember driving to sensabaugh tunnel like hundreds of times...there used to be a creek running down the side of the tunnel thats where the rumor of hauntings came from....the sound of the creek was spooky...thats all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol