Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 05:07 PM

33 posts, read 47,790 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are ready to retire in a few years and would like to live in TN,specifically NE part. We've been doing some research and thinking about starting our search in Jonesbourgh.
Since we are getting older( who's getting younger) we thought one of our needs would be to be close to doctors / hospitals later in life.
Work would not be a necessary since I have a pension,but we would both like to do volunteer work. We have no children so being near schools is not needed. We are church goers so being close by to a church would be nice. Of course low crime area would be the goal as well.
We would like to have some space... say 1 -2 acres of land and be close enough to food,restaurants,etc say 20 min drive. We are both outdoors people ,ride motorcycles, fish, & hike.
Our budget would be around 350,000. I'm not familiar with the surrounding areas of Jonesbourgh...possibly there are other towns similar? Telford,Sulphur Springs,Fall Branch?
Are there other areas that come close to our needs in NE TN?
I know the best suggestion would be to visit areas and go from there but due to our present situation we cannot visit as yet.
Any recommendations for areas fitting our needs are welcomed.

Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 07:39 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Everything you mention is basically a part of the tri-cities area, so it's more or less just reducing it to which specific area best fits your wants.
Jonesborough is considered by a lot of people to be more desirable than the others you mentioned, it's close to Johnson City, which is larger and offers more variety than either Bristol or Kingsport. It's also supposed to be more expensive and more upscale than the other small towns in the area.
I think most of the things you want can be found in many parts of the tri-cities area so I would suggest focusing on the desire to be close to a hospital and maybe use that as a starting point.
Wanting an acre or two suggest you might be thinking about a rural property? If so are you comfortable driving hills and curves in bad weather? What about a need for internet access?
I'm going to send you a private message.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:44 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Jonesborough is a small town with a rural feel and is more affluent/desirable than most towns in the area. If I had that budget, that's where I'd be looking.

I'll touch on the medical as DubbleT summed the rest of it up well. Basic conditions and some specialities can be treated well here. Serious problems often get referred out of area.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:49 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
It's easier IMO to give you some zip codes.

37615 Gray
37659 Jonesborough and surrounding areas
37686 Piney Flats
37694 Watauga
37692 Unicoi
37643 Elizabethton (Carter Co - the western half of it)

Old 10-25-2019, 10:59 AM

239 posts, read 699,461 times
Jonesborough is very nice and you should be able to find a home in that price range you would like. Also, Telford and Limestone are in the same general area and not much further from Johnson City than Jonesborough. I should also mention that the Jonesborough zip code (37659) covers a very large area running north to south, basically from I81 down to nearly Erwin. You mentioned Sulphur Springs and it has a Jonesborough zip code. Some of the areas north of Johnson City that most people would call Gray have a Jonesborough zip code and address. Gray is also nice off exit 13. From Gray you are only about 20-25 minutes from the hospital and maybe 10 minutes further in Sulpher Springs. There are many churches in all these areas to choose from. Northern Unicoi County is also close to Johnson City and has many beautiful areas.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Everything you mention is basically a part of the tri-cities area, so it's more or less just reducing it to which specific area best fits your wants.
Jonesborough is considered by a lot of people to be more desirable than the others you mentioned, it's close to Johnson City, which is larger and offers more variety than either Bristol or Kingsport. It's also supposed to be more expensive and more upscale than the other small towns in the area.
I think most of the things you want can be found in many parts of the tri-cities area so I would suggest focusing on the desire to be close to a hospital and maybe use that as a starting point.
Wanting an acre or two suggest you might be thinking about a rural property? If so are you comfortable driving hills and curves in bad weather? What about a need for internet access?
I'm going to send you a private message.
Thankyou for your response..
Yes I did forget internet and cell reception..both needed for sure!

Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Jonesborough is a small town with a rural feel and is more affluent/desirable than most towns in the area. If I had that budget, that's where I'd be looking.

I'll touch on the medical as DubbleT summed the rest of it up well. Basic conditions and some specialities can be treated well here. Serious problems often get referred out of area.
Concerned about medical care..so most who reside in or near Jonesbourgh would go where for medical care?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
It's easier IMO to give you some zip codes.

37615 Gray
37659 Jonesborough and surrounding areas
37686 Piney Flats
37694 Watauga
37692 Unicoi
37643 Elizabethton (Carter Co - the western half of it)
Thankyou for these suggestions...I've been reading Unicoi isn't as close to medical facilities and as safe for crime..is that true??
How are these areas...Limestone, Sulphur Springs?? as far as my needs??

Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacersFan View Post
Jonesborough is very nice and you should be able to find a home in that price range you would like. Also, Telford and Limestone are in the same general area and not much further from Johnson City than Jonesborough. I should also mention that the Jonesborough zip code (37659) covers a very large area running north to south, basically from I81 down to nearly Erwin. You mentioned Sulphur Springs and it has a Jonesborough zip code. Some of the areas north of Johnson City that most people would call Gray have a Jonesborough zip code and address. Gray is also nice off exit 13. From Gray you are only about 20-25 minutes from the hospital and maybe 10 minutes further in Sulpher Springs. There are many churches in all these areas to choose from. Northern Unicoi County is also close to Johnson City and has many beautiful areas.
Thankyou for your response and suggestions..Will definitely look into them. Seems healthcare and internet are sketchy in some area's...how can I find out if internet and cell reception is either good or bad In a specific area?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Thankyou all for suggestions and responses. Will do some more research into these areas and hope to visit your beautiful state of TN soon.
Anyone here live in Jonesbourgh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol