U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 06:08 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,828,265 times

Advertisements

Jim,
Thanks for the info. Very disappointing. I agree, we cord-cutters don't rank too high on the pole.

I know PBS is always asking for donations, but aren't they government funded?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 06:48 PM

294 posts, read 262,078 times
On a cord cutting note, PBS is going to be added to YouTube TV soon. Not sure when the local station for this area will come out though but sometime in 2020 I'm guessing.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:29 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,828,265 times
PBS is back. Hope it lasts this time.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:42 AM

294 posts, read 262,078 times
Another PBS note, YouTube TV now has East TN PBS live as well as UNC-TV in the Tri-Cities area. They also have our local ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and CW stations. So now they have all major locals in this market.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:40 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,950,402 times
I noticed PBS on Youtube TV today - fully live and record functionality. Very nice, especially since I can't get it OTA.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:06 PM

486 posts, read 1,145,304 times
The following is the text of a Facebook reply (the week before Christmas) to a Jonesboro viewer from East Tennessee PBS that confirms the antenna issue. Extended loss of reception of WETP by antenna dependent viewers to the east and south of the Short Mountain transmitter will probably continue for some time due to winter weather making tower work difficult to impossible. UNC PBS station WUNF which covers Asheville region and some well situated viewers in East Tennessee just got their newly relocated transmitter in operation on it's permanent antenna the week before Christmas.

Author

East Tennessee PBS Well, I hate that. Here is the issue - what we have done is a temporary fix, we have attached an antenna on the side of our Sneedville tower. This is great - for those who are in the range of the antenna. In January (and I say that with a grain of salt) we are getting our real antenna, that is higher powered and that will be mounted at the very top of the tower and will have a very large circular range. This will eliminate the issues that the temporary antenna is having with range, terrain and such that are affecting you. Since you are able to get "some" form of signal - you could try adjusting your antenna, I know for some that has helped. Sandi, I apologize, I just hate this, the station hates it, we're frustrated and embarrassed, our viewers are frustrated and mad - and we don't blame them. We do think that we are closer to resolution then we have so far, however, I am very reluctant to give any dates after what we have experienced so far. Again, we are so sorry, we appreciate your loyalty and viewership.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:50 PM

486 posts, read 1,145,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
The following is the text of a Facebook reply (the week before Christmas) to a Jonesboro viewer from East Tennessee PBS that confirms the antenna issue. Extended loss of reception of WETP by antenna dependent viewers to the east and south of the Short Mountain transmitter will probably continue for some time due to winter weather making tower work difficult to impossible. UNC PBS station WUNF which covers Asheville region and some well situated viewers in East Tennessee just got their newly relocated transmitter in operation on it's permanent antenna the week before Christmas.

Author

East Tennessee PBS Well, I hate that. Here is the issue - what we have done is a temporary fix, we have attached an antenna on the side of our Sneedville tower. This is great - for those who are in the range of the antenna. In January (and I say that with a grain of salt) we are getting our real antenna, that is higher powered and that will be mounted at the very top of the tower and will have a very large circular range. This will eliminate the issues that the temporary antenna is having with range, terrain and such that are affecting you. Since you are able to get "some" form of signal - you could try adjusting your antenna, I know for some that has helped. Sandi, I apologize, I just hate this, the station hates it, we're frustrated and embarrassed, our viewers are frustrated and mad - and we don't blame them. We do think that we are closer to resolution then we have so far, however, I am very reluctant to give any dates after what we have experienced so far. Again, we are so sorry, we appreciate your loyalty and viewership.
We may actually be able to view WETP once more east of Sneedville, Tennessee using the repack channel 24 (PSIP Channel 2). The story gets better with each chapter but they may soon get the new transmitter at full power using the new top mounted antenna. The attachments in the FCC filing tell the story but don't believe the August 15 projection. August 15 has passed and the signal has not reappeared at this location. The PDF documents are at the bottom of the FCC filing document:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...1045b&goBack=N

This is the text of the PDF documents filed on 6 August 2020 (I hate it any more when anyone uses "virtual" or "virtually"):

S:\# #CLIENT MATTERS\EAST TENNESSEE\Request for Tolling.docx

Request for Tolling, Reinstatement and Extension of Construction Permit and Waiver
East Tennessee Public Communications Corp. (“East Tenn”), licensee of WETP-TV, Sneedville, Tennessee (Facility ID No. 18252) (the “Station”), pursuant to Section 73.3700(b)(5)(i) of the Commission’s rules, respectfully requests that the WETP-TV post-auction construction permit (“CP”) for Channel 24 (LMS No. 0000097689) be reinstated and extended. The expiration date of the Station’s CP was January 17, 2020. The Station is currently operating on its post-auction Channel 24 using interim facilities pursuant to STA request. Based on the following unusual and extraordinary circumstances, East Tenn seeks reinstatement of the construction permit and extension until August 15, 2020. East Tenn also requests, to the extent necessary, a waiver of the Commission’s rules to accept the instant request. In this regard, it should be noted that East Tenn has faced significant challenges relative to the construction of its tower.
As the Commission is aware, tower crews are, to say the least, in short supply. During the construction of the tower, the crew was forced to isolate when several of the members were stricken by the coronavirus. This and the scheduling of a replacement crew engendered significant delays.
At the present, the tower construction is virtually complete. A license to cover application is anticipated to be filed no later than August 10, 2020.
Because of the amount of effort which has been expended and the virtual completeness of construction, it is urged that the CP be reinstated and extended for a few weeks.
East Tenn submits that a grant of the instant request would be in the public interest.

S:\# #CLIENT MATTERS\EAST TENNESSEE\Supplement.docx

SUPPLEMENT TO REQUEST FOR TOLLING REINSTATEMENT AND
EXTENSION OF CONSTRUCTION PERMIT AND WAIVER
The pending request is hereby supplemented to reflect the following:
Subsequent to the issuance of the construction permit for Channel 24 (LMS No. 0000097689), an antenna and transmission line was ordered from Electronic Research, Inc. (“ERI”). A copy of the July 11, 2019 invoice is attached.
Delivery was to be by January 2020. Due to delays by ERI, delivery did not occur until July 2020. This delay, along with previously mentioned problems relative to the construction of the tower, occasioned the failure to meet the January 2020 date.
It is anticipated that construction can be finalized and a license to cover filed within three (3) days.

Last edited by Jim37680; 08-27-2020 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,794,051 times
Jim - you will need to link to these posts and/or only post a snippet per the TOS. Much appreciated for you keeping us updated here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol