U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM

4,758 posts, read 6,827,444 times

Advertisements

In the Tri-Cities area PBS is received on channel 2 via inside/outside antenna. I believe the call letters are WEPT. For more than a month PBS has been warning that on Oct 19th viewers would need to rescan in order to receive PBS.
I am one of those viewers who absolutely enjoys PBS programming. I did the rescan many times over since Oct 19th and no PBS. I called the station at PBS and spoke with a person who told me he was a technician. He verified that channel 2 was off the air, but did not give any reason or time that PBS might start broadcasting again.

Comments appreciated, thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 01:25 PM

28,274 posts, read 21,185,751 times
This says the outage could last up to three weeks.

Signal Loss | East Tennessee PBS-Explorer

Old 10-22-2019, 05:03 PM

486 posts, read 1,145,086 times
The FCC auctioned off all UHF channels above 36 (37 is left vacant as guard band to protect the land-mobile folks) thru 45 at the begging and whining of AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and similar interests that coveted that spectrum. Previous to this and about a decade ago the same fate happened to UHF channels 46-51. This latest round has resulted in the great multi-billion dollar 10-phase TV channel "Repack" adventure. We are entering phase 7 of this process which will continue well into 2020 or perhaps later due to limitations on availability of resources such as new transmitters, antennas, and tower crews. The coordination of the moves and prevention of interference during the repack process resemble one of Mr. Spock's three dimensional chess games.

Warning- next spring WJHL is moving from channel 11 to Channel 9.

WETP has not actually transmitted on Channel 2 ever since TV broadcasting went digital about two decades ago. Stations still use their historical analog channel number (if desired) in the PSIP identification a part of their brand identity. Currently "Channel 2" /WETP has been broadcasting on physical channel 41. As part of the repack they will be moving to physical channel 24. On most digital TVs the tuner will lock onto this channel 24 if you enter the number 24 and will present you with WETP "Channel 2". Some sets may require an automatic rescan.

I just checked and I am no longer receiving WETP either. They may be off the air or they may be using their alternate low-power transmitter and a lower gain antenna on the bottom of the tower. This means that those of us in the Tri-Cities (unless we live in the actual Appalachian Highlands with a clear view to the west) probably will be unable to receive WETP until the new transmitter and antenna are installed and tested. They say three weeks downtime but don't hold your breath. The good news is the power will be increased to 1,000,000 watts ERP (a bit more than twice the old power) so some folks may be able to receive it now that couldn't previously. I understand that it is very difficult to receive in Johnson City but folks have excellent reception in Greenville, Morristown, Sneedville, and most mountain tops east of Rogersville.

This colored map is some aid in determining if you can access the WETP full power channel 24 signal and the gain and physical location of an antenna to do so. https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....8&site=1&map=Y

Depending on your location you may be able to receive one of the North Carolina PBS transmitters that transmit on physical channel 27 (Canton 27), 20 (Asheville 33), and 36 (Linville 17). All of these are going to 1 megawatt with the repack but reception in Tennessee is mostly a matter of luck. I think their programming is much superior to WETP on their four digital channels. Their Explorer Channel is really cool.

Wikipedia has an interesting story about all this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_reallocation

Last edited by Jim37680; 10-22-2019 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: add Longly-Rice coverage map

Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 PM

Thank you both for the info.

I have a high location in Kingsport. During one of my rescans I picked up channel 10 out of Knoxville but lost it on the next rescan.
Now receiving; 5, 11, 19, 36, 39, and 68. I miss my favorite 2.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:08 PM

Just read a notice that said Channel 2 will have it's new transmitter installed the week of Nov 11th. It didn't say when they would be back on the air. Hopefully before Nov 17th.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Just read a notice that said Channel 2 will have it's new transmitter installed the week of Nov 11th. It didn't say when they would be back on the air. Hopefully before Nov 17th.

"Channel 2" (repacking from RF 41 to RF 24) off air six weeks and counting. Of course they have a fiber feed to the cable and satellite providers so they don't have to worry about offending 80% of POTENTIAL VIEWERS.

Wonder if East Tenn PBS had a tower crew confirmed? From information flowing from the statewide PBS system in North Carolina, tower crews are a rare breed and have been the critical link in the process. This has delayed getting the new high gain antennas in place at the top of the towers. Several of the NC transmitters are running on an "interim antenna" located for all practical purposes on top of the transmitter shelter. I don't think any of the NC transmitters except for some repeaters were off the air for more a few hours at a time. Some of those have projected installation as late as June 2020. WUNF for Asheville is projected to be on the main antenna by mid-December 2019 and WUNE by mid-January 2020.

NC PBS network has twelve transmitter sites and East Tenn PBS has but two.

https://www.unctv.org/watch/rescan/

Old 12-03-2019, 10:09 AM

From East Tennessee PBS on Twitter observed at 12:08 PM on 3 December 2019:

"East Tennessee PBS
‏@EastTennPBS
17h17 hours ago

More Good news for our viewers receiving our station from our Sneedville transmitter! We believe to have resolved the signal issue.
If you are on antenna, please rescan your television channels and you should be good to go. Thanks for your patience during this time."

May be close but "no cigar" at this location on a rescan. Hope abounds.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Rescan success! Thankfully PBS is back.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:35 PM

Well the few days PBS was back was really nice. Howver, last night and today PBS is off the air again.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Well the few days PBS was back was really nice. Howver, last night and today PBS is off the air again.
Never got even the slightest hint of a signal here. Although I have a 1,600+ ft location between Kpt and JC it is in the rf shadow of Bays Mtn and Chimneytop. Signal here was weak under the best of circumstances before the repack from 41 to 24.

You are probably on the northwest side of Bays Mtn or on some that high real estate that is mostly on the northwest side of 11w/Stone Drive from downtown on toward Bristol. The Longley-Rice Coverage forecast maps for the low power operation shows nary a sniff of signal on the southeast side of 11W going toward Bristol. Most of that low power is directed toward Knoxville but that may be result of the forced location of the secondary antenna (not that they like Knoxville better than us).

Longley-Rice Coverage Map- WETP "Special Temporary Authority" 6.4 KW Wimpy Toy for ET PBS
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....2&site=1&map=Y

I think that the dirty little secret about this week's restart is that they are using backup transmitter with 6.4 KW ERP with a low mounted temp antenna under a "Special Temporary Authority" (exp on 3/18/20) from the FCC. This allows a limited return for some antenna viewers pending completion of the full power 1,000 KW ERP authorized in the FCC "Construction Permit" (exp on 1/17/20). They probably have the full power transmitter in the shelter building but the high gain antenna may still be sitting in the box rather than 564' up the tower. I noticed that the feed to this antenna is specified to be 6.4 inches in diameter (all new) and getting that up 564' of tower in the winter winds requires some heavy lifting and brave riggers. The secondary antenna mounted half way up this tower may not be rated to tolerate the high output of the main transmitter without damage (it uses only a 3" feed line of a different type).

Longley-Rice Coverage Map- WETP "Construction Permit" for 1,000 KW ERP Real Deal
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....8&site=1&map=Y

Most cable and satellite companies do not pick up the broadcast signal these days and prefer to receive a fiber feed or sat link from the studio. Since over 80% of televisions households are on sat or cable the stations don't really miss the rest of us much if the transmission is off. Hillary would probably consider cord-cutter TV folks like us (the <20% viewers) "deplorables".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol