U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 3,700 times

Advertisements

I was considering moving to the JC area but when I looked up there bus schedules and routes, they seemed to be no better than my small VA town. If this is a college town why is the bus service so minimal?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 PM

28,286 posts, read 21,213,936 times
The bus system will take you to core spots in town during weekday business hours and a bit on the weekends. It's fine for the size city it is.

What are you expecting? This is a relatively small city that is isolated from other areas - pretty much everyone is dependent on a car.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 3,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist83 View Post
I was considering moving to the JC area but when I looked up there bus schedules and routes, they seemed to be no better than my small VA town. If this is a college town why is the bus service so minimal?
I'm a Johnson City native (stretching back 10 generations) who went to ETSU and then attended grad school in Wyoming. Laramie, WY, a town of 30,000 people, has superior public transportation. It's also much more walkable than JC. I think the determining factor in Johnson City's poor bus system is the sprawling nature of the area; it isn't compact in any sense of the term, insofar as it relates to walkability. There isn't any area in Johnson City (or the Tri-Cities in general) you could live in and be within reasonable walking distance to daily amenities. The Tree Streets is probably as close as one can get, but it would be a hike to the Price Less grocery store on South Roan. This wasn't always the case decades ago when all of the businesses were concentrated in the downtown area and there were a few small grocery stores and markets, but the growth of North Johnson City and the surrounding areas made owning a car a necessity.

I used the bus in JC a few times before I got my driver's license, and it was an absolute pain. Not only was the bus stop located a half mile from home, but you had to ride downtown and then be transferred onto another bus to go anywhere. It may have improved since then, but it was certainly a pain when I rode it 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or