Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

We are looking at 28 acres in Rogersville, TN. It is on Reed Hollow Road. Can anyone give me information
as to the area there. We're retired, late 60's and wanting rural and just a place to call home.
We know ideally we should drive down and visit area but it's an auction property and we can't
manage a drive at this time. ANY information as to area would be very helpful. Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 02:42 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,206,244 times
Rogersville is Tennessee's second oldest town, and it is beautifully quaint and historic downtown. The town has become a bit of a magnet for retired folks to move to in the past 10-15 years or so, mainly due to the low cost of living, rural feeling of the area, access to Cherokee Lake, and the mostly mild winters.

That area is not far from my aunt and cousin. I grew up just up the road from Rogersville about 20 miles or so, in Church Hill, and have quite a few family members that live in the Rogersville/Surgoinsville areas. It is beautiful countryside, and a good area overall to retire.

That part of Rogersville is closer to the way towards Cherokee Lake. The further north and northeast you go though, the area gets more and more rural and into very impoverished Hancock County, TN, which is very rural, wooded and not much industry. But that part looks to be in Hawkins County and is fine overall, just rural.

I would be wary of buying land sight unseen though. There could be tons of issues with it. Can you at least go there and get your due diligence done? I would never advise anyone to buy land--especially 28 acres--without viewing it in person at least once.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:36 AM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Rogersville itself is OK, but the surrounding areas of Hawkins County are rural, few services, with a lot of crime and drug problems. Medical care is poor. If you're not from the general region, it's going to be tough to make friends.

You could run into many thousands of dollars just getting electricity to the site. You need to visit and understand what you are dealing with, just from a general logistics perspective.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:19 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,597,314 times
Could you hire an appraiser or realtor to provide an unbiased report?

Old 11-24-2019, 04:56 PM

142 posts, read 216,202 times
When you're in your sixties you always have to be concerned about medical care within a reasonable distance. We chose Elizabethton because we are six minutes away from their smallish hospital but still living on acreage outside the city limits. Otherwise we are about twenty minutes from Johnson City and its Level 1 trauma center.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:39 PM

Thank you for your reply. Wish we could get out there but not able to until after January. There is a home already on
property built in 1991 that needs repairs. It's a foreclosure. It is indeed Hawkins County. We were hoping to get a reply from someone who lives in that very area near Reed Hollow and could give us information as to if it is a desirable area
or Not.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:44 PM

rccrain we have asked a couple realtors and since it's a foreclosure and going to action now it seems nobody wants
to look at it as I do understand they will not be making any money. Couldn't find appraiser either.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:21 PM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Part of the problem is that is a very remote area, between Rogersville and Bean Station on the very rural north side of the county. I would not live in that area at all - it's probably a bit closer to Kingsport than to Knoxville, but not close to either. Anything more than Walmart or Food City is probably a drive back to Morristown. That's not even counting all the drugs and issues with rural Hawkins County.

I don't know why you would buy sight unseen, but if there are no pictures of the home, assume it is in very poor condition. Assume well water.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 AM

311 posts, read 394,568 times
I'm not a fan of Rogersville, it just seems to be the drug den of Hawkins county. You always read bad thing about Rogersville and crime and drugs. Hawkins county though in general though seems to be where far too much crime and other issues seem to happen. Plus it's quite remote and you really aren't close to anything.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,343,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Debbie1956 View Post
rccrain we have asked a couple realtors and since it's a foreclosure and going to action now it seems nobody wants
to look at it as I do understand they will not be making any money. Couldn't find appraiser either.
That should tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol