Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 10:44 AM

33 posts, read 46,627 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to find out more about HOA fees ... what do they apply to, when and where they apply and to who?
Seems to be alot of regulations for your own property.

Specifically in the areas of Sullivan, Washington and Carter ( would like to avoid city taxes, but still have internet).

Are there any of the above locations I mentioned, exempt from these fees and not in completely rural areas ? ( within 20 miles of food, clothing stores, etc)

I'm assuming these fees are associated with trash pick up and certain things you can and cant do on your property.
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou

Old 12-09-2020, 10:47 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,236,451 times
I am the treasurer of a HOA up in MA.

The fees are budgeted to cover lawn care, snow plowing, road repair (hopefully no additional fees needed), clean-up of public areas.

I would also think there are differences in how each HOA runs.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:28 PM

24 posts, read 30,642 times
I live in a HOA in Sullivan County. The fees include lawn care and they mulch and trim your shrubs. That's it. Thrash pick up is tacked on to your water & sewer bill. The streets get plowed by the city. The common areas are also taken care of. I pay $70 a month and it's well worth it. My kids payed HOA's at different parts of the country and it's in the hundreds of dollars.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:30 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,595,313 times
HOAs only apply to certain developments. Most people in our area do not like the concept so most single-family homes do not have an HOA that applies. Most condos and townhouses by their nature do have to have an HOA. The fees vary widely. You have to check with each property. If an HOA applies make sure it is well insured and well funded with a sinking fund for major repairs otherwise you could be looking at an unexpected special assessment in the thousands for new rooves or siding.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor58 View Post
I live in a HOA in Sullivan County. The fees include lawn care and they mulch and trim your shrubs. That's it. Thrash pick up is tacked on to your water & sewer bill. The streets get plowed by the city. The common areas are also taken care of. I pay $70 a month and it's well worth it. My kids payed HOA's at different parts of the country and it's in the hundreds of dollars.
Thankyou for your response.
May I ask, do you reside in a subdivision?in the city limits or outside where the taxes are lower?
It seems all property owners pay an HOA of some sort either living in the city limits or out? Is this correct?
And to add...many restrictions come with HOA?

Old 12-09-2020, 04:19 PM

15,940 posts, read 20,906,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle crazy View Post
Thankyou for your response.
May I ask, do you reside in a subdivision?in the city limits or outside where the taxes are lower?
It seems all property owners pay an HOA of some sort either living in the city limits or out? Is this correct?
And to add...many restrictions come with HOA?
No, not at all. Are you considering a specific city or subdivision? I live in an older residential area within the Bristol city limits, in a particular neighborhood, no subdivision and there is no HOA.

Last edited by DubbleT; 12-09-2020 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
HOAs only apply to certain developments. Most people in our area do not like the concept so most single-family homes do not have an HOA that applies. Most condos and townhouses by their nature do have to have an HOA. The fees vary widely. You have to check with each property. If an HOA applies make sure it is well insured and well funded with a sinking fund for major repairs otherwise you could be looking at an unexpected special assessment in the thousands for new rooves or siding.
That's what I thought about HOAs. I've been searching for properties without any HOA s ,but it seems unless you want to live out in a rural area,( without internet, cable or some stores)the property is hard to locate.
After alittle research it seems if you reside in a subdivision or your area has HOA fees...you cant have an RV on your property, or paint your house door a certain color, or add a home work shop on your property without asking permission.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, not at all. Are you considering a specific city or subdivision? I live in a residential area within the Bristol city limits, in a particular neighborhood, no subdivision and there is no HOA
My wife and I have been searching outside the city limits of Jonesborough for starters. Also Piney Flats,Sulphur Springs. Even down around Maryville.
If we cant locate a home with our needs,we were thinking of buying a piece of property(1-2 acres)and building a modular ( not mobile or manufactured, which I've heard only certain areas allow them.)

Old 12-09-2020, 04:29 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,362,061 times
1.) Every HOA is different. Rules are different.
2.) Not every neighborhood has an HOA.
3.) If you live in the city, you still have to pay city and state taxes, HOA or not.
4.) In the US, you choose if you want to live in an HOA neighborhood or not.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:58 PM

15,940 posts, read 20,906,769 times
Are you from a part of the country where HOA's are the norm? It's not like that here, there are probably far more areas without HOA's than those that have them, unless you're only considering newer builds.
I don't think you'll have a lot of difficulty finding something that suits your needs without having to go into the boonies.
This is my neighborhood in the city limits of Bristol, pretty laid back.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...31-nhood8.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...29-nhood6.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...28-nhood5.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...6-nhood12.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol