U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM

67 posts, read 219,604 times

Advertisements

You have to consider the source. The person moving FROM the Tri-Cities is probably feeling justified in their opinion that it is yucky because they a) no longer want to live there or b) cannot live there any longer for whatever reason. I personally grew up there...lived there 18 years & then lived away for 12. I am choosing to move back there. I think the area is beautiful, but other places are just as beautiful, but in different ways. I think Georgia is pretty too (where I live now), but the scenery is different. Its just like anything. You need to visit & decide for yourself. I don't think I would move anywhere without visiting there first. Everyone has a different idea of what makes a good place to live or not. For instance if you work you have to find a job there that you are willing to do. If you are retired then there are other things that may be important. I thought for years I needed to big in the big city & away from the country & now I am dying to be away from the city. :-) Funny huh? As I get older my priorities change & I want to raise my children somewhere where people are friendlier & take the time to know each other's names & the scenery is just a big bonus. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,370,265 times
I don't live in the TriCities area yet, but I have been visiting NETN for a long time. I can not imagine anyone saying it is yucky! It is absolutely beautiful! I have not yet gotten to Bristol or Kingsport but I have seen many, many pictures and they also are beautiful! Can't wait to get there!!
JMT... I don't yet know how to quote so I am just going to reply. I totally understand your feelings about roaches. I am absolutely terrified of them. I know they can't actually hurt you but that doesn't make any difference. I was born in Houston and the roaches are giant. I have been terrified of them for 38 years. ( I don't guess that will ever change.) I almost had a heart attack when one flew towards me. I didn't know they could fly. (That scary episode happened when we lived north of Ft. Worth.) Needless to say I was screaming like a little girl! I am thrilled to hear that they aren't really an issue in NETN. The exterminator became a real good friend of mine and I'm sure that will be the same when we move...just in case.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingFlorida View Post
Wow, I can't believe anyone, I mean anyone, would think this area is ugly!! It takes our breath away! Bugs......just don't come to FL!
I live just north of Kingsport. I've lived in Clearwater, FL (20 years), Dallas, Austin, Seattle, outside of Chicago, and traveled all over the country. I moved here 4 years ago, and don't want to leave. There are good and not so good points here, just like everywhere. Someone mentioned roaches?? After living in Florida, I won't live anywhere there's a bug problem. I have not seen ANY roaches here. They must live here as they do everywhere south of the Artic, but I haven't seen any. Mosquitoes same as everywhere I've been, well, not as bad as some places. The mountains are incredible, but it's the people that make me live here. Never have I been anywhere there's that much compassion and love for others. Go to Walmart, count how many people smile and speak to you, wherever you are. Then come here and do the same. Feel free to email me if you'd like more info. Do NOT send me spam. Jan

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,566,977 times
There are too many spiders in TN for the roaches to survive.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 AM

24 posts, read 64,224 times
Mosquitoes? I visit ET and have never experienced a problem. Stay away from stale water. Most ET waterways are too cold for them. The ones that survive are eaten by the snakes! Seriously, I live in Arkansas, the land of the big rice paddies and we have MOSQUITOES. Roaches are everywhere and are believed to be able to survive a nuclear strike. Call Orkin or Terminix to rid them. Ticks, as I said, I live in Arkansas and you can pick up more ticks in a day than live in East Tennessee. We will even throw in a few thousand chiggers to make you forget the ticks and mosquitoes.

I've waded through miles of east Tennessee trails with nary a bite. Places I wouldn't dream of going into in Arkansas. One encounter with chiggers will take the outdoorsman out of you pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong. I really like Arkansas and its natural beauty but you do learn when to spray and when to stay away. I would venture to say that if you find a place without bugs, it is not livable.

Air quality is an issue I've seen mentioned several times now but my experience is positive since all the big fabric mills have closed. It used to stink in some areas, especially Elizabethton, but that is now history. Johnson City does rank near the top of the pollen places according to at least one poll. Eastman reportedly runs a clean operation. The air is cleaner than that in the Shenandoah Valley since it is farther from the industrialized areas to the northwest. Someone may be able to provide us more information on air quality but I suspect it is far better than other metro areas because it is spread out. Air quality improved a lot when the negative poster left town because they were blowing a lot of smoke.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,772,635 times
Strange! I have honestly gotten 20-25 skeeter bites in one evening, more than once. I know that I'm very, very attractive to the little buggers, but I wonder why you don't experience mosquito bites bad here, though you are bitten in Arkansas.

Chiggers = turpentine.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,370,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyv1 View Post
Air quality improved a lot when the negative poster left town because they were blowing a lot of smoke.
troyv1...you are too funny. Given some of the posters I have read I would have to agree with you.
williboy...I will take spiders over roaches any day. Thanks for easing the nerves.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 PM

60 posts, read 175,295 times
Thanks for all the replies, very interesting!

The poster who said the tri-cities was awful I believe was transferring her upset feelings about being ill onto the region itself. I guess if you are ill, you might just get disgusted with an area and it might remind you of how rotten you feel. I had a cat do this once, start to avoid a former favorite area due to associating it with barfing up a hairball.

I am so torn between the ET area and the NWA area. Both are reasonable and beautiful. Both have the lovely vistas. ET has ETSU, which is such a super-plus IMO. NWA has the UA, another plus. Both have the water...it's so hard to pick a place when you feel like you've only got one move left in ya, when both places are lovely. Argh!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:02 AM

Default ET or NWA

[quote=HoneysuckleHobo;3843470]Thanks for all the replies, very interesting!

I am so torn between the ET area and the NWA area. Both are reasonable and beautiful.

Wow, what a tough choice. NWA is still a rising star because of the big companies there (Wal Mart, JB Hunt ...) and is probably more expensive than ET to buy into. The two areas are similar, strong republican strongholds, mountains, lakes, connected rural cities. I really like Eureka Springs. Like Hot Springs, it is sometimes up and buzzing and sometimes down. ET is close to Gatlinburg and NWA is close to Branson. I noticed you had AZ on your list too. I really like AZ, and thought about moving there too, but is has grown so wildly in the Phoenix area and is no longer appealing to me. I own land in ET and am building a house there. I find the area a little more appealing because of the proximity to Knoxville, Asheville, Atlanta, Virginia, the east in general. Alice Walton isn't building a museum there and it isn't as snazzy as Springdale-Bentonville. It's just a tough choice. Oh, they don't normally have tornados in ET either, a real plus.

May I suggest you check out a little hamlet to the north, Staunton VA. Beautiful area, old and new mix, beautiful downtown, their own Shakespeare theater and on the Amtrak to DC and northeast, close to UVA and many other universities. Staunton is high on my list when I permanently leave Arkansas. Don't let others read this post. I don't want them all flocking to Staunton.

I think you said you are from Lubbock. I don't want to be negative, but either of these places would be paradise compared to Lubbock. Wow, Lubbock; hot, cold and tornados.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 AM

Sorry, Midland. Pretty much the same. The price of gas must be tough on you guys out there. As the old saying goes, the son is rise and the sun is set and here I is in Texas yet. Dallas to El Paso. You are about midway between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol