U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 AM

60 posts, read 175,181 times

Advertisements

That's right, Troyv1, Midland's halfway to Hades either way you slice it...it's funny, but the closer you are to where they are pumping the oil out the ground, they higher your gas prices seem to be. Ought to be dirt cheap, isn't. Yet if the wind is wrong we get all the free fumes we can hold. We call it "the smell of money." Maybe Honda will develop a car that runs on fumes and then Midland will be THE place to live. *smile*

I used to live in Arizona and would not go back unless I managed to come across a million dollars somewhere...too expensive, they eat you up with fees and taxes and house prices. Their housing costs are just downright silly.

Midland and Lubbock are actually both very nice places. They are very beautifully landscaped, in my opinion. I like all the sunshine, for sure. But there's no water to fish in or just watch go by, and it's hard to grow anything at all. No farmer's market, nothing around here...no fall festivals, etc.

Thanks muchly for your info on NWA and ET. I lean towards ET due to my early memories of the summer camp nearby there in S.C. and because it seems to me to be more education-oriented and has the prettier seasons. My husband leans more towards NWA because he thinks it's easier to have a boat there and the taxes there are so dirt cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 AM

24 posts, read 64,203 times
Don't get too caught up in the tax issue. Arkansas is not a low tax state, just a low income state. Tennessee has no income tax. I think they are about the same on property and sales tax. Watauga lake in East Tennessee is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and clean lakes in the US. It is one of many TVA lakes. I have looked at many properties in Arkansas, trying to find something like the one I found in Tennessee. I found several I really liked but didn't like the things I saw on the way to the property. One I did like was 40 miles from the nearest McDonalds. The one in Tennessee has a mountain stream, is remote and 12 miles from a super Wal-Mart. The stream below the property is a naturally reproducing trout stream (Tiger Creek). It is also associated with a story about an old bear hunter, Tiger Whitehead, (Tiger Creek is named after him) and Johnny Cash recorded a children's song about him. The creek, the story and the location are what sold me. It’s on Tiger Creek Road and has a Roan Mountain address to boot.

It would be a tough choice between the two. I would do an on-site inspection and spend a few days in the area to see what the wind blew in before I decided. The NWA area has become much more upscale in the urban areas. Wal-Mart headquarters will do that to a town.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 PM

295 posts, read 667,661 times
Default yucky? bugs?...where?

Maryland transplant here, been coming to the smokies since the late 70s and always wanted to move to the mountain south. Don't know where the guy with roaches lives [glad he's not next door to me]. No one I've met has complained of them. Flies and mosquitos? I have left my sliding screen door wide open while barbequing for a half hour or more and nothing wanders inside. Rarely see anything bug-wise outside and I have not been bitten by a mosquito since moving here 12 months ago and I go out hiking to waterfalls etc. This area probably has less bugs than any place I've ever been and I've been every state east of the Mississippi. I live in a condo in the Boone's Creek/Gray area which is considered a convenient, desirable, central location and we have zero bugs. I don't even see that many screened-in porches around here which usually tells the story.
NE /TN, the oldest settled part of TN, meaning the Tri-Cities, Elizabethton, Erwin and down to Greenville west to Rogersville is crazy beautiful. You can't swing a dead cat around in a circle without hitting another big lake or river or great mountain view. Weather is mild and lovely, period, end of discussion. Taxes are laughably low to anyone from a major urban center in northeastern states or from Florida. [My townhome taxes are 800.00 total for city and county. Back in MD the house would cost three times as much and my taxes would be 3,800 a year...and we have a MD state income tax to boot and 6% sales tax!] Sales tax is 9.5% here but you can scoot into VA and take advantage of the 6% sales tax for your major purchases. 500K houses do exist here in nice golf course communities 200 to 250K will get you a real nice home, but 100-120 thousand dollar 3bdrm. brick ranchers are everywhere and even cheaper homes exist in neighborhoods that are much less swank but that you still don't need a flak jacket to walk outside to your mailbox as crime is pretty low here [just don't leave anything copper laying around in plain sight].
I have, very unfortunately, not been able to find work in my field after a year in this down economy and have been looking to relocate now to Knoxville but from neccessity not by choice. There are only a few large employers in NE TN, salaries are LOW, and it helps to be married to someone who already works at companies like Eastman chemical already if you hope to ever get an interview. Other than that expect to only find 9.50 an hour, third shift assembly-line work unless of course you don't mind getting dosed with some radiation up in Erwin then 19 bucks an hour can be yours to start as a rad tech. Medical careers here, as everywhere have tons of opportunities but lower salaries than some places you may be coming from but don't let that keep you away. With the low taxes, housing prices, etc. any medical professional could live like a king around here. Otherwise, if you already made your nest egg and are retiring to a beautiful affordable area with friendly folks, cheap housing, very short commutes to work, sufficient restaurants and entertainment, 1.5 hours from Knoxville, 50 minutes from Asheville NC when you feel the need to hang out with 'artsy' Birkenstocks types, or an hour from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge if that's more your cup o' moonshine and loaded with waterfalls, mountains, trout streams, water skiing......then you're going to have to look long and hard to beat NE TN. IMHO

Old 06-04-2008, 12:59 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,368,297 times
NorthernLights....Great post!!!!!
That sums it up quite nicely.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Default Termites is another story...

In regard to the yucky, bug thing. they don't in my opinion have much human pest bug trouble down here but if you happen to be a moist piece of wood be very afraid, they DO have termites!!! That's just pretty much the whole south though. However, being originally from northern, colder, climes folks may have only heard distantly about some pest called a termite. If moving anywhere in the south it is a reality. Do not buy a home until you have a termite inspection. If it passes totally termite free, do a little 'happy dance' because you will be in the minority. Fact of life down here is spraying and bait traps for temites. Get used to it.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,575,181 times
Nice posts Northern lights and welcome to the forum. You pretty much summed it up well.
What kind of work are you looking for? Maybe someone here will know of something and be able to help you out. Sounds like you would like to stay in this area.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Tri-Cities job for me

Thanks MbMouse. I have a masters of science in environmental mgmt. I have tried to get on with local industry, all the local governments, park departments, etc., can't even get them to look at my resume at Eastman and was given the bum's rush up there two weeks ago when I walked in to their HR department. ETSU told me that after reconsideration upper adminsitration will do no hiring this year [The President has resigned up there and I fear there may be some more some serious $ issues at the college.] I was interviewed by the TDEC for a job there and the interview went great but I smelled trouble when the three people interviewing me said that in their 20+ years they couldn't rememeber the last time they interviewed someone who wasn't already a state employee [uh-oh]. They called my references and told me I made the final four but I suspect the job was ultimately given to a current state employee and they were just going through the Equal Opportunity motions. The state has now announced they are looking for 2,000 volunteers to retire or they will lay off, probably the newest employees which would have been bad if I had gotten the position maybe.
I have environmental science experience, contracting experience and some management experience. Don't need a big salary which is why I was looking at things like the parks and recreation jobs. I have a pretty broad knowldge base and enjoy working with people. I've applied for several jobs at UT and a number of firms in the Knox/Oak Ridge area but haven't heard back from any of them yet.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,143,243 times
NorthernLights, you might be interested in applying for this position that's just come open in Kingsport: Kingsport, TN - Employment Opportunities - Assistant Manager Parks & Recreation

I really enjoy your posts and hope you get to remain in this area, especially since you clearly have a genuine appreciation for this neck of the woods. Good luck to you!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 PM

Default thanks!

I will do so tomorrow morning. That is brand new as I check the local gov't listings daily.
I appreciate the heads up and you are right, I couldn't like this area more if I tried.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 AM

35,764 posts, read 35,553,529 times
from NorthernLights:

crime is pretty low here just don't leave anything copper laying around in plain sight.

Do you know why thieves are stealing catalytic converters (typically out of Jeeps)? I find this to be perplexing since I heard that they are not a big money item when they are sold. It seems like every day there is a story about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol