U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:33 AM

153 posts, read 446,725 times

Advertisements

LauraC, I heard the same thing about the catalytic converters here in Florida. I hear people are cutting them out of cars then selling them but they only get like 30.00 for them. Seems like an awfully big risk for 30 bucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitgo View Post

And when you come you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not have lunch/dinner at Ridgewood BBQ. I recommend the BBQ sandwich with the cracker and blue cheese appetizer. The food is amazing!!!
I went there last night and I have been going for years but just recently started hearing about the blue cheese...oh my gosh that was the best thing EVER in the world! I didn't even order a sandwich just blue cheese (BOWL and when they say a bowl they mean a bowl) and carrots and celery. It was delicious and I brought home a 16 oz cup full of the blue cheese I had left! Don't go there without trying it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Strange! I have honestly gotten 20-25 skeeter bites in one evening, more than once. I know that I'm very, very attractive to the little buggers, but I wonder why you don't experience mosquito bites bad here, though you are bitten in Arkansas.

Chiggers = turpentine.
you must be like me...they love me! Skeeters are a huge issue here and usually they have a yearly extermination around all mosquito borne areas to try and eliminate some of them. Apparently, he has never been to any farm land around here...skeeters everywhere!! and GNATS oh my gosh they are in your mouth, eyes, nose, hair...everywhere. I do have to agree on the roaches and ticks though. not much of a problem there...thank GOD...Roaches freak me out! And I have lived in the Church Hill area for 4 years and never seen a snake. Some people say it has something to do with the cows that border our property but I don't know if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneysuckleHobo View Post
Thanks for all the replies, very interesting!

I had a cat do this once, start to avoid a former favorite area due to associating it with barfing up a hairball.
Only a fellow cat lover, such as myself, would understand that analogy!

Last edited by mbmouse; 06-06-2008 at 07:36 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,848 times
With State budget cuts 500 million of them, you aren't likely to find any position availabe in any educational institution. They are ushing people out the door quicker than you can say "jack be nimble" . YOu are right about the low pay here. Some of my friends, from up NOrth, would laugh me out the door if I told them the pay here. They get paid 25.00 an hour as a production worker in factories. Here you barely make that if you're a physician. People, will eventually, have to leave this beautiful area if they are not able to be employed by some place such as Eastman. With gas prices skyrocketing, who can afford it on that kind of pay. If you are in educational insitutions, you will NOT be getting a raise this year and probably not next year.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,772,635 times
Yep, no raises for ETSU profs and staff. And several plans, for parking garages (desperately needed, no idea why there are no parking garages!) and a new performing arts centre have been shelved indefinitely.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 AM

24 posts, read 64,224 times
Default Back on topic

ET is a nice place to live; clean air, mostly clean water, fine people, but I guess all those people without catalytic converters will mess up the air. And those stealing AC compressors are freeing the freon. AC compressors are a bigger problem here. Some property managers have added cameras to monitor their compressors! The reason they steal the catalytic converters is because they can crawl under an SUV and remove it in seconds. Some SUVs have two, so even at $30, the profit is good.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 PM

295 posts, read 668,389 times
"Some of my friends, from up NOrth, would laugh me out the door if I told them the pay here. They get paid 25.00 an hour as a production worker in factories. Here you barely make that if you're a physician. People, will eventually, have to leave this beautiful area if they are not able to be employed by some place such as Eastman. "

This is all true but comparing things to "Up North" you have to compare apples to apples. My friends in Maryland all have 1,200 to 2,400 a month mortgages, two car payments as they all commute 50+ miles each way to their employment paying more in gas and their cars have 200,000 miles on them in four years, three times higher property taxes than down here plus a state income tax which takes everything you might get back from your Fed returns and more, and since they leave for work at 6 am and don't get home until at least 6 pm they give a large portion of their income to the strangers who watch their kids. They're making much more on paper but it's just cash flow and they're keeping the same or less in their investments and racing all the other rats for it. What this area needs is for the same kind of growth I've seen in Greenville SC where white color engineer firms, corporate headquarters etc. realized they could relocate here and pay their engineers, etc, who do half of their work by internet less because they would be living in a lower cost area with more natural beauty and milder climate. Their is a large educated workforce getting out of ETSU and UT each year that have to leave the state because of the lack of employers. This place is ripe for corporate/industrial development. Hope they can attract more of it.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM

22 posts, read 66,755 times
To reply about whether the tricities is "yucky"- not really. Air pollution can be bothersome during long periods of warm temperatures. Most of this is due to the impacts felt from Knoxville, middle Tennessee, and the Ohio Valley. We sit along mountain ranges so smog and ozone can accumulate. The personalities and attitudes of people in this region are exceptional. There can be some intolerance to certain minority groups (not strictly limited to race) but I assume this is true most anywhere. Our cost of living is extremely low as stated by NorthernLights.

What issues are yucky about the region? Well, it seems lately that the press in Bristol and Kingsport have become anti-ETSU and anti-regional cooperation. It started approximately 10 years ago. A prime example would be the development of 3 convention centers within a short peroid of time. News broke that Bristol wanted a conviention center to differentiate from the other cities (Johnson City has ETSU and Kingsport has Eastman). Well, Kingsport then jumped aboard and built the Meadowview Johnson City then followed with their own conviention center. The efforts towards regional benefit has disappeared and the job market in the region is extremely tight.

If you are looking to relocate I would suggest you find employment before moving. Also, do not expect this region to stay the "Tri-Cities" for long. I venture to guess within 5-10 years it will be Kingsport/Bristol vs. Johnson City.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,056,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregetn View Post
Also, do not expect this region to stay the "Tri-Cities" for long. I venture to guess within 5-10 years it will be Kingsport/Bristol vs. Johnson City.
What exactly does this mean?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,591,855 times
Well, seeing as that was posted in June of last year by someone who has not been back since, I would say....not a clue! LOL!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,056,736 times
LOL. MB, Can anyone shed any light on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol