U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM

15,760 posts, read 28,838,532 times

Advertisements

FWIW, way back when Liquor by the Drink passed in Johnson City (1970's) and didn't pass in Kingsport I remember hearing the exact same predictions and discussions!!!! According to the talk back then Kpt and Bristol were going to shrivel up and wither away. Both cities should be long gone by now! LOL is all I can say.

Yes, Tri Cities is very yucky. Stay far far away (and leave it to us that are already here)!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,661,240 times
I dont know about the part of what was last mentioned, but in several posts back we do have those little gnats. Filthy, nasty things... I hate them. In the spring/summer, they buzz around your ears and try to land on you.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 AM

2,159 posts, read 3,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Strange! I have honestly gotten 20-25 skeeter bites in one evening, more than once. I know that I'm very, very attractive to the little buggers, but I wonder why you don't experience mosquito bites bad here, though you are bitten in Arkansas.

In my 24 years in the tricities, I have never been had by mosquitoes. But in Michigan and Florida I have absolutely been eaten alive.

Chiggers = turpentine.

These guys suck. I worked a summer of golf course maintenance for The Virginian ... Man, those things made a buffet out of my legs.
Problem bugs in ETN:
bees (all types)
ants (non-biting)
spiders (debatable as to whether they are a "problem")
gnats
chiggers
invasive beetles (kill our native trees)
june bugs
biting flies
other flies

Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
Are tornados common in the tri cities area?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM

15,760 posts, read 28,838,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeqeee View Post
Are tornados common in the tri cities area?
nope, not at all.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 PM

295 posts, read 668,389 times
No bugs in Boone's Creek. Sorry to disappoint everyone but...none to speak of. Bug-less here!
I frequently leave my screen slider open for 15 or more minutes when I'm going in and out to my grill cooking and...nothing. I occasionally get one of those little, tiny, red eye'd fruit fly, sized critters that I think they call garbage flys or sewer flys buzzing around my kitchen sink but if I leave a dish or cup in the sink with water and some dish detergent floating in it...the next morning the sucker is floating, deceased.
Back home, I got those fat, buzzy, house flies back in Maryland if I so much as opened the door to even look outside for anything. It was like the suckers hung right outside the door waiting to leap inside...then the b--tards buzzed around your head all night until you finally went berzerk and did a full on safari to kill the suckers. Nothing like that down here for me...so far.
Maybe that's why William Bean, the first white settler in the state of Tennessee, built his cabin right down the street. Maybe he looked at Boone and said;

"Hey Dan'l, this is the first place we've been on this hunt that they're haven't been any flies...maybe I'll build a cabin here."

[who knows? That maybe, or he thought it was handy having the Food City and the pizza and chinese carry out nearby and if he just waited 200 hundred years for TVA he'd have lakefront property]
http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/im...f-d181c74552f0

Oh yeah, no tornados here in Boone's Creek either so far [knock wood]...although they get microbursts down here I'm told as evidenced about two years before I moved in when several of our pear trees on the front bank were completely flattened along with some vinyl siding damage.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 07-06-2009 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM

14,495 posts, read 24,584,919 times
Smile good and bad points

I wouldn't call it yucky, though parts of Carter County qualify....

There are some nice subdivisions, the people are polite and you could do worse...

On the con side the tax on food is high, the JC mall is boring and jobs limited unless you are in medicsal field.

One word to the wise....do not move here sight unseen. ?isit the area for a week and see.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM

8 posts, read 10,646 times
My husband and I are from outside of Cleveland - born and raised. And we hate it! We will be retiring in a few months and are looking to leave. why? Cold winters - hot summers (unless they are cold and wet like this year) - high taxes - high insurance - high cost of living (though not as bad as some areas) and no scenery. Did my research on the internet - read at lot of threads - and decide to look into eastern Tennessee. Came in May to just drive through the area to get a flavor. LOVED IT! We are especially drawn to a small area from around Greeneville up through Elizabethton - south into the mountains. Jonesborough was a little jewel. We don't want a lot of snow so Mountain City is too high an elevation. Talked to a lot of natives and they were all saying about the same thing - low property values, insurance and taxes. Tax on food - which is new to us. Not a complaint - just a hmmm. With what we will save on the rest, I'll take it. Slower way of life. Uncrowded interstates. Friendly people. Not keeping up with the Jones'. Warmer winters and cooler summers because of the combo of elevation and latitude. Church is a cornerstone of their lives. We are born again Christians. I have been a deacon. My husband has been an elder. We want a few acres of country where I can see the mountains from my porch as I quilt with my plethora of dogs around my feet. Not picky about breed - we have had German Shepherds, beagles, Newfoundlands, chihuahuas, terriers, spaniels ..... although I love hound faces and totally love their baying! All from rescues. They just need to be affectionate and have fur - that's all I ask. My husband wants to raise chickens again - and Emden geese and guinea fowl to keep the fox away. Also, quail for release. We love their little burbly sounds. I am sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings, but we don't hunt or fish. We prefer to feed and photograph wildlife - we are more huggers than a hunters. So what we are looking for is a small ranch (I have arthitis pretty bad) with a walkout basement or barn for my husband's large woodworking shop. One acre minimum - the more the better. A pond, lake or river would be wonderful for well under 125K. Contacted a Realtor in the area who sends us properties by email. Quite a few have piqued our interest. Unfortunately, we have to wait until John retires next April 3rd. We will be visiting again in October to focus more on the area we have chosen. Then - in about February - we will come to find a home so that we have title by April. We love the Appalacian country culture and are looking forward to becoming part of it - especially quilting and woodworking. When we drove through the area, it felt like coming home. I pray we are right. So far, God is making this transition easy so I think He is telling us we are FINALLY doing as He wishes. One last comment - when we were returning home after our visit, we had the oddest sensation of civilization closing in on us the further north we went. After only a few days in Tennessee, northern Ohio feels crowded now. Just 8 months until we get to come "home". Any comments about this area would be appreciated. Especially about not being received well if you are from the north. I judge people on their hearts not the color of their skin, amount of money in their pocket, size of their house, or where they originally lived. I would like to be treated the same way.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 AM

149 posts, read 370,165 times
Don't worry beverlyjane, you'll fit right in.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:34 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,772,635 times
Definitely. <g>

If you don't mind being farther from Johnson City, I would stick to southern Greene, Unicoi and Carter counties. Well, you might find what you want in Johnson County, too, and it's more isolated than the rest - not all of it is as "high up" as Mountain City. You'll be able to purchase more for le$$ in these counties. Greene County is a bit more expensive than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol