U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:56 PM

60 posts, read 175,197 times

Advertisements

Hmm, someone on another board is moving from Eastern Tennessee and has nothing good to say about it, including that it isn't a scenic/pretty area compared with other parts of TN and that it's poor. Being poor myself, that sort of hurt to see it used as a criticism.

I have been looking around the country and I thought your area was awfully pretty, according to the photos I've seen. And it looked healthful, but evidently it's very bad air? And she's saying the property is "outrageously expensive," yet I am finding all sorts of houses that look like bargains to me...

It's so hard to sort the chaff from the wheat on the Internet. Are my impressions of the area (POSITIVE ONES) actually loony?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 05:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,287,169 times
All I gotta say is, if anybody says the Tri-Cities region is not scenic, they are either blind or terminally negative minded. Drive anywhere on almost any road and it's gorgeous. Even the cities have scenic views of the mountains. As for housing? Runs the gamut from what we've seen. We bought acreage in Piney Flats and have been watching real estate in the Tri-cities for the past 2 years. Smaller, older homes and land are definitely cheaper than Northeast Ohio I can tell you that. But in the newer subdivisions, it's not a whole lot cheaper. Depends on what you're looking for. Half million dollar homes are here, but so are nice, modest, well kept homes for $100,000 or less. We saw two modest homes, well kept, in Johnson City that was selling for $120,000 for BOTH of them as a package deal. A young couple could live in one and rent the other and live very well that way. It was an urban area but not a "bad" area from what we could see. $60,000 for a clean, nice, air conditioned home in a decent area of town...what a good start for someone!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Well thank you for the reply, I THOUGHT it seemed very pretty and nice.

For a decent house to be had for 100K or thereabouts seems a dream come true for me.

I thought the scenery looked great, especially now that the bushes/trees are leafed out. East Tennessee looks awfully lovely to us.

Anyone have any information on the BUG SITUATION there? Was looking at Arkansas also, good for retirees, but the tick problem seems more than I care for, when you add the mosquitoes, midges, and humidity to it...and roaches...just HATE ticks...

Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,757,012 times
Lots of roaches and mosquitoes here. I have no idea what a midge is, so I guess we don't have those. There are ticks, but unless you go wallowing in Queen Anne's Lace, you're not going to get them on you. My family farms and when I help out occassionally I'll find a tick, but I've only had 3 in my entire life, so...

Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 AM

OMG wallowing in Queen Anne's Lace is my hobby!

LOL -- hiking around is, though....

Ugh, sorry to hear about the roaches.

Midges are those little tiny gnats, some bite and some don't; they make clouds of themselves and like to orbit around your head, get in the corner of your eyes and slowly walk up your nostrils...not a year-round thing but very unpleasant while they last.

I am finding there is a price to pay for beauty, and that it is BUGS.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,592,362 times
I've been looking for the PERFECT place to retire. Then I decided if I found it I couldn't move there. I would ruin perfection. Glad to hear TC isn't perfect. I won't have to cancel my June trip to look things over.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:34 PM

54 posts, read 141,920 times
Wow, I can't believe anyone, I mean anyone, would think this area is ugly!! It takes our breath away! Bugs......just don't come to FL!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:02 PM

20,544 posts, read 27,465,713 times
They must be blind IMO or they had a really bad experience here. I am in Mountain City and it is called that because we are completely surrounded by mountains. I think it is beautiful.

My husband and I have been all over the country and every time we get east of Knoxville it starts to feel like home. Even the highways and interstates are scenic in this area. All green and mountainous.

As far a prices they can be all over the place. We are close to Boone, NC(a resort, college, and generally more expensive area) so a lot of the people in my area with places for sale have what I call "Boonitis" and they are priced way, way too high. The land prices are pretty high in this area but you can find very reasonable house prices.

Lisa

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM

81 posts, read 260,942 times
I have just moved to this area from Nashville TN and I was born and raised in TN and can say that this is the most beautiful area of the state I have seen. We have a 2 1/2 year old so we decided to buy in an area of JC with great schools and location so we did have to pay a little more than where we moved from but compared to comparable areas of Nashville I think the prices are about the same.

I do think that some of the rural areas might be less fortunate that others but that is the case everywhere. Out in the rural areas you will find more country folks but I have really found the area to be great and would definitely recomend it to anyone.

Misty

Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,563,652 times
Trust me, there are many beautiful rural areas around the Tri-Cities. We live in a very nice area, rural, scenic,and very low taxes. Oh yeah, Papa Johns in Jonesborough also delivers to our area, so with Direct TV, I'm set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol