Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 11:48 AM

2,204 posts, read 2,295,186 times

Advertisements

I grew up in coastal Southern California and just recently moved to Southern Washington (about 50 miles north of Portland, Oregon). However, I’m not certain that Washington is the state is for me. I mean, it’s a pretty state (California is as well), but I’m not certain the Pacific Northwest is for me. For one, real estate up here is fairly expensive. It’s cheaper than Southern California, of course, but not by a lot. And two, the months and months of drizzly, cloudy weather can get old after a while. But the scenery is nice because of all that moisture: it’s very green and forested all over.

However, I’m still looking at other spots to which to relocate, and eastern Tennessee is on my radar, as is Northwest Arkansas. But I’ve never actually been to either location. I used to spend every summer in eastern Oklahoma as a teenager (near Fort Smith, Arkansas), and I really liked the area. It was green, hilly, and pretty. But the summer humidity was atrocious. I know that I wouldn’t be happy living in a place so hot and humid for so many months at a time. I’m thinking that places such as Johnson City and Pigeon Forge would be a lot more comfortable comfortable in summer than other parts of the South. But again, I have never been to the area. The cost of living seems appealing as does the real estate prices, because California and Washington aren’t all that cheap by comparison.

Another area that seems nice is the Bristol, Tennessee/Virginia area. How does Bristol compare to Johnson City/Pigeon Forge?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 03:20 PM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Pigeon Forge is a tourist area. It serves as a gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and has tons of visitors in its own right. Traffic, especially on summer weekends, during "leaf season," and around Christmas, is some of the worst in the state. I wouldn't want to live there at all.

Johnson City is the premiere city in upper east TN. It has a regional state university, VA, the area's only healthy mall, and most of the newest or best in terms of retail, restaurants, and nightlife. It is also in a good location, close to Asheville and the better mountain recreation in Carter and Unicoi Counties.

I live in Bristol, TN. Bristol is about half the size of Johnson City, but is rapidly improving in terms of dining, retail, and other amenities. There is a secondary economy based around small scale tourism regarding Bristol's status as the "birthplace of country music" and NASCAR.

I prefer Johnson City to Bristol. At the time, I chose Bristol due to my commute - working remotely now, I would not have made the same decision.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:23 PM

142 posts, read 215,855 times
This area may not be so cheap much longer due to the influx of transplants from the West Coast. Politically it's not always a great fit for some.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,808,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
This area may not be so cheap much longer due to the influx of transplants from the West Coast. Politically it's not always a great fit for some.

If he's looking at NW Arkansas and east Tennessee I think he knows what political climate he's looking for. In fact I bet most inbound transplants are specifically choosing TN for that reason to move to TN.

NW Arkansas and East TN are major relocation areas for libertarian/conservatives/preppers/gun rights/suspicious of government "don't tread on me" types.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:05 PM

20,602 posts, read 8,369,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
If he's looking at NW Arkansas and east Tennessee I think he knows what political climate he's looking for. In fact I bet most inbound transplants are specifically choosing TN for that reason to move to TN.

NW Arkansas and East TN are major relocation areas for libertarian/conservatives/preppers/gun rights/suspicious of government "don't tread on me" types.
That's why I am considering moving to TN or KY. Hadn't heard about NW Arkansas so will need to research. Wondering about AL, too.

Decisions, decisions!

Old 08-06-2021, 02:23 PM

123 posts, read 106,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

Thank you for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol