Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,174 times

Advertisements

Thank you, again for taking the time to answer my questions. I am glad to know about the snow... I did want a little that really makes it feel like winter and not just a dusting, that is why I was checking into the towns between E-ton and the NC border. We were stationed in Utah for a couple of years and it was kind of nice having snow. We are originally from Texas. Of course, there was alot of snow in UT. We are currently stationed in Washington, (about 25 miles south of Seattle). Funny thing is that I thought going north from Texas meant less bugs...not so. There are mesquito everywhere and they were worse in Utah than in Texas! They are much smaller here, but actually worse. We only have about 3 month out of the year when it isn't raining or sleeting up here and the bugs make it almost impossible to enjoy the few good months of weather.However, on a good note roaches do not seem to like the northern areas, or at least I haven't seen any since we left Texas. I am glad to know about the farmers market and the fact that we can head over to Ashville, NC if not local. That is a wonderful idea about heading over there all together. We could get a citydata expidition together and all head over there for a visit. We won't actually be moving there until around October, so we will probably have to do that next year. Who knows, me and the kiddo's may find what we are looking for this summer and go ahead and move on over. Hubby can follow when he gets out of the Army. You and everyone on here are so incrediblly helpful. I have learned so much from reading through previous threads. I stumbled upon one yesterday that had me laughing so hard...about the way people say different things and accents. I never figured I would have too much trouble there given that my Texas accent is very obvious (or so I've been told). It was a nice conformation to know that I would actually blend in pretty well in NETN. I get made fun of or corrected quite frequently. You would think that on an army post the size of Ft. Lewis, no one would be bothered by my saying buggy instead of shopping cart. I was actually corrected by a lady the other day in the comissary. I have also been told that y'all is not proper grammer. ( It is actually kind of funny.) So many of the words y'all say, phrases, and accents are not that different from my own. I know that I will be right at home in NETN, although my Texas accent will probably still be noticed. Anyways, I know that is a little off topic but I thought I would share that I truely enjoyed reading that thread. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE ON HERE FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,369 times
The farmer's market in Asheville sounds great, Grannylois. It's a date! Well...once we move that is -

Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 PM

227 posts, read 719,913 times
There's a great little home cooking restaurant right next door to the Farmer's Market in Asheville. Be sure to check it out if you go over there. I believe there is a farmer's market in Gray a couple of days a week. Have never been but I think it is at the fairgrounds. MB, do you know anything about that?

Fallfanatic, my son is moving from Ft. Riley, KS to Ft. Lewis in September. How do you like the area? I've heard it's a good post. My daughter's best friend is there and loves it. I'm looking forward to visiting up there - much better than Kansas!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Default dcommander

The area up here is very nice. I love all the trees and you can see the volcano pretty much anywhere you go. I do not even mind all the rain. It only becomes a problem for me around the first of May, right before it clears up enough for the outdoors to be enjoyed. After my children have been couped up in the house since October they start bouncing off the walls right before they are able to enjoy playing outdoors again. The great state of Washington does not believe in air conditioning as a whole. Being from Texas it is very hard to adjust to this. While their summers USUALLY aren't as hot... I still don't know how they handle no AC. When we first got stationed here in July of '06 the temps were staying in the 100's. Now the locals say that's not normal, but last year wasn't much better. I really thought I would die of a heat stroke. As for Ft. Lewis, the base has been good. They have the expected facilities and all are nice. I actually spend more time at McCord Air Force base. (They back up to each other and share a property boarder.) I prefer their comissary and BX. Their parks also seem to be nicer to me. I can't tell you alot about the programs etc. at FT. Lewis because I didn't get involved here like I had done at previous post. But from what I have heard they are thriving here. Fair warning for anyone heading this way.... Interstate 5 is horrible!!! The traffic is terrible. I live about 25 miles south of Seattle and while I avoid the interstate at all cost, the poor folks who have to comute into Seattle spend an average of an hour and a half to two hours to go that 25 miles. And it isn't any better for those who comute to Portland. I use the less known back gates to go to and from both bases so I can completely avoid the interstate. I hope that answers your questions. If I can help with anything else please let me know.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,211,967 times
Sounds great. I have some photos of Elizabethton that I have posted on here somewhere. I will try to look them up or repost asap.

Photos of historic downtown, etc. We are there most every Saturday night! I love Taco Johns restaurant!

Snow? Well, over the past few years its only been a dusting or so and last for a very short time. More snow though, the higher you go (further east). Its not too far of a drive into the higher mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
Tennesseestorm, I have read many of your post about Bristol, and while I have never been there, you have me very intriqued...and I am really looking forward to visiting the area this summer.
Is there ever an inch or two of snow at one time in these areas or is it more of a dusting?
Does anyone have any pictures of downtown Elizabethton, or any pictures of the other areas?

Old 05-19-2008, 03:49 AM

359 posts, read 1,635,454 times
Yes, I agree with dccommander about that restaurant next to the asheville FM - it's named after an animal and I can't think of it - moose maybe, I'm not sure, although that would make no sense, as there are no moose here.

we'll plan on it, pineywoods. When are you moving?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Tennesseestorm... I will check out that restraunt when we head over, as well as the one in Ashville. Would love to see those pictures if you relocate them. Thanks
dcommander... I sent you a DM, however I don't know if I did it correctly, so if you don't get it please let me know and I will try again.
GrannyLois...if you remember the name of that restraunt please let me know. Who knows, maybe when we come this summer to find our place we could get a CD expidition together and head that way, it would sure be better than having to wait till next year.
Everyone who regularly post.... You are terrific!!! Just wanted to let you know.
BTW.... has mbmouse gone on vaction?? I haven't seen anything posted recently and she hasn't chimed in on here. Whats up mouse???

Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM

383 posts, read 918,491 times
Moose Cafe is correct.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLois View Post
we'll plan on it, pineywoods. When are you moving?
We have our home here in Hudson Ohio up for sale...in God's hands when it sells. If it sells, we will begin building on our farm in Piney Flats this summer
If it doesn't sell, there ain't no money to build

So...let's see if the market picks up. I made my own flyers after taking pix of all the rooms, and we put up the sign ourselves, with no realtor, to sell ourselves. So far 5 couples have looked. Not bad for only 2 weeks and not being in the multiple listings.

Will be down to the farm in June though...hmmm, do I smell BBQ again, fellow C-D posters?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,454 times
I highly recommend ReMax - when I listed my house in March, they put it on many websites, and I had a contract in 3 days ! The websites is what did it. They are the largest real estate seller apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol