Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:21 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to make the move to Tennessee from Idaho when I retire, hopefully later this year. I've been looking (online) up towards the Johnson City/Tri-cities area, really wanted to land closer to the mountains (will be moving from Idaho). I just ran across a home on Cherokee Lake about a dozen miles from Rogersville, that is at the upper end of my price range. I really didn't count on finding waterfront in my price range, so this is really appealing to me (especially somewhere on a body of water big enough to have a boat). So...I understand from searching here that Morristown is somewhat overrun with criminal aliens (or at least that is what the posts I've seen indicate-but they were older, maybe it's less of an issue now). Is that still the case? That would be the nearest city of some size, but frankly, I much prefer smaller towns, and Rogersville is about what I'm used to living near. Looks nice from what little I see on Google Street View, but I really haven't been able to find out much. Would appreciate any input on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 08:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm looking to make the move to Tennessee from Idaho when I retire, hopefully later this year. I've been looking (online) up towards the Johnson City/Tri-cities area, really wanted to land closer to the mountains (will be moving from Idaho). I just ran across a home on Cherokee Lake about a dozen miles from Rogersville, that is at the upper end of my price range. I really didn't count on finding waterfront in my price range, so this is really appealing to me (especially somewhere on a body of water big enough to have a boat). So...I understand from searching here that Morristown is somewhat overrun with criminal aliens (or at least that is what the posts I've seen indicate-but they were older, maybe it's less of an issue now). Is that still the case? That would be the nearest city of some size, but frankly, I much prefer smaller towns, and Rogersville is about what I'm used to living near. Looks nice from what little I see on Google Street View, but I really haven't been able to find out much. Would appreciate any input on the area.
How do you define Criminal Aliens? This is a small town area. (a lot is who you know and who your mama and daddy are or was type thing) I am very well acquainted with Cherokee. Happy to help as I can with answering questions.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
How do you define Criminal Aliens? This is a small town area. (a lot is who you know and who your mama and daddy are or was type thing) I am very well acquainted with Cherokee. Happy to help as I can with answering questions.
Pretty much as the name says. People that are not from this country that have broken our laws (aka committed a crime) to be here. Not an issue with Hispanics as such-most are here legally and are as American as anyone. My issue is only with those that have demonstrated that they have no respect for our laws. If they don't respect our immigration laws, I wouldn't expect them to respect other laws either. Having said that-I don't want to get into the politics of the issue, this isn't the forum for it. I'm simply wondering if it's a problem around the Morristown area, as other threads seem(ed) to indicate.

Small town area is really what I'm looking for. We're very rural now (4 miles of dirt road to get to our acreage) and the nearest town is about the size of Rogersville, and about 20 miles from our home. And being (soon anyway) retired, the job situation isn't much of a concern (though I might pick up a little contract engineering before all is said and done).

Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated. The lake looks really pretty-and from what I see on youtube-looks to have some great smallmouth fishing. I'm looking forward to having the time to fish again-it's been way too long.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-14-2021 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 07:47 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
The Rogersville area is really pretty--especially once you go towards the Surgoinsville region with the rolling hills and the Holston River. That would be in the opposite direction of Cherokee Lake, but still, there's some "God's Country" land out there and all over the Rogersvile region.

I grew up with many very close relatives in Rogersville and Surgoinsville, and many still live there today.

Rogersville's downtown is very historic, and the heart of it could serve as a tv or movie set. It's Tennessee's 2nd oldest town, and it's become a bit of a tourist draw and retirement destination in the past 20 years + or so.

Folks who live in the area mostly grew up around there, and most go to local churches and know a lot of "this family" or "that family." For working folks, there's a large amount who work in the Hawkins County and Kingsport area factories.

My dad and uncles would fish in Cherokee Lake and on the Clinch River, quite often growing up. The Cherokee is "man made" so in my opinion, some areas are beautiful but some areas drop down below where the standard water level is when it's dry, and the "muddy red clay shores" show, and it looks artificial a bit. Anyway, it is a nice lake and boating area.

The cost of living is low and the people are friendly. Great part of the country to retire to.

BTW, in terms of the Morristown area, I would always hear "it's dangerous down there" or "it's rough." That was from the local folks in Hawkins County and Kingsport.

Truth is, there is some diversity in Morristown and a larger Hispanic population, than older natives in East TN are not used to seeing. The "change" thing can upset them. There has been some crime from what I've heard, but I'm not sure of specifics.

I would take that with a grain of salt and research and visit Morristown for yourself.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 03-15-2021 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
East Tennessee isn't as casually racist as Idaho, Wyoming, and states with similar views. The southern Appalachians are much more live and let live; most folks will have an opinion on immigration reform or lack thereof, but typically keep to themselves. That has changed a little with the advent of conservative mass media, but (my two cents) you might be in for a little bit of culture shock.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:16 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Quote:
If they don't respect our immigration laws, I wouldn't expect them to respect other laws either
You seem to enjoy being scared and that's not a sentiment you find common in E TN.

I think it's the Methodist church giving out signs that say "Hate has no home here". Unlike Idaho, TN is old time Christian with the message of love thy neighbor.

You can find news reports after ICE raided the Morristown chicken plant neighbors ralleyed around the undocumented workers, sequestering them in churches, providing food, and such. No indication they were scared of these people.

Last edited by creeksitter; 03-17-2021 at 07:14 AM..

Old 03-17-2021, 11:04 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Pretty much as the name says. People that are not from this country that have broken our laws (aka committed a crime) to be here. Not an issue with Hispanics as such-most are here legally and are as American as anyone. My issue is only with those that have demonstrated that they have no respect for our laws. If they don't respect our immigration laws, I wouldn't expect them to respect other laws either. Having said that-I don't want to get into the politics of the issue, this isn't the forum for it. I'm simply wondering if it's a problem around the Morristown area, as other threads seem(ed) to indicate.

Small town area is really what I'm looking for. We're very rural now (4 miles of dirt road to get to our acreage) and the nearest town is about the size of Rogersville, and about 20 miles from our home. And being (soon anyway) retired, the job situation isn't much of a concern (though I might pick up a little contract engineering before all is said and done).

Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated. The lake looks really pretty-and from what I see on youtube-looks to have some great smallmouth fishing. I'm looking forward to having the time to fish again-it's been way too long.
I have never heard the term criminal "Aliens". Since this is really about Rogersville and that area I'm moving this to the Tri-Cities forum.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The Rogersville area is really pretty--especially once you go towards the Surgoinsville region with the rolling hills and the Holston River. That would be in the opposite direction of Cherokee Lake, but still, there's some "God's Country" land out there and all over the Rogersvile region.

I grew up with many very close relatives in Rogersville and Surgoinsville, and many still live there today.

Rogersville's downtown is very historic, and the heart of it could serve as a tv or movie set. It's Tennessee's 2nd oldest town, and it's become a bit of a tourist draw and retirement destination in the past 20 years + or so.

Folks who live in the area mostly grew up around there, and most go to local churches and know a lot of "this family" or "that family." For working folks, there's a large amount who work in the Hawkins County and Kingsport area factories.

My dad and uncles would fish in Cherokee Lake and on the Clinch River, quite often growing up. The Cherokee is "man made" so in my opinion, some areas are beautiful but some areas drop down below where the standard water level is when it's dry, and the "muddy red clay shores" show, and it looks artificial a bit. Anyway, it is a nice lake and boating area.

The cost of living is low and the people are friendly. Great part of the country to retire to.

BTW, in terms of the Morristown area, I would always hear "it's dangerous down there" or "it's rough." That was from the local folks in Hawkins County and Kingsport.

Truth is, there is some diversity in Morristown and a larger Hispanic population, than older natives in East TN are not used to seeing. The "change" thing can upset them. There has been some crime from what I've heard, but I'm not sure of specifics.

I would take that with a grain of salt and research and visit Morristown for yourself.
Thank you for the feedback. The area sounds really nice, and "small town" enough for what I'm looking for. I'm keeping my eyes open, especially around the lakes and towards Greeneville. Unfortunately the one I was "eyeing" sold already. Oh well, something will come up.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:01 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. The area sounds really nice, and "small town" enough for what I'm looking for. I'm keeping my eyes open, especially around the lakes and towards Greeneville. Unfortunately the one I was "eyeing" sold already. Oh well, something will come up.
Oh most definitely--it is very much a small town, with some beautiful rural areas surrounding it. Rogersville feels a bit isolated too, although it's not extremely far from other cities and towns. It just has that remote vibe to the town.

Also, you might want to look at the Dandridge, TN region. Dandridge is roughly 50 minutes or so southwest from Rogersville and 30 minutes from Morristown.

It may be getting a bit too popular now with retirees, but its historic downtown sits right on the lakefront of Douglas Lake, and is a very charming small town. My dad and uncles fished regularly and always talked about moving to Dandridge to retire and fish.

It has easy access to interstate 40, is about 30 minutes to Knoxville, 30 minutes to Sevierville, and about 50 minutes to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:46 AM

Well, the Rogersville place fell through-sold pretty quickly, as expected. We're looking in a pretty wide swath, before coming out to visit the first part of May. Anyway, a place just showed up on Z yesterday in Unicoi county that checks most of our requirements. One concern-it's at about 2500 feet. That appeals to me a lot for the views and lower humidity associated with the mountains. But does raise one flag-just how much snow do those elevations get, and how long does it last? Probably not an issue-we're in N. Idaho now and are looking for shorter winters-but I don't imagine it lasts long even at that elevation. At the same time....the owner has an ATV...with a snowplow blade! There's no substitute for local input. Thanks in advance.

ETA. I don't mind some snow (welcome some) and don't mind plowing once or twice a year. I just don't want 5 months of winter and ice...like I have now. As a motorcyclist, it's painful

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-07-2021 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol