Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 09:25 AM

188 posts, read 254,365 times

Advertisements

We entertained briefly with Eastern Kentucky but the income taxes would hit me on the nose there. Hence the search moved more in focus to E Tenn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 09:32 AM

It's a tough needle to thread- trying to stay kinda like it's always been and growing just enough to be prosperous. All of the little towns I knew in Texas are not little anymore, or they have just started to rot from within. It's hard to keep the communities we grew up in. We'd go and visit my wife's parents in Panama City, Fl and folks would complain that the old PC is gone. All exploded into large condo units. Oh well...

Old 12-05-2021, 09:49 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
East TN has its problems, but is far, far superior to anything in southeast KY.

Johnson City has by far the brightest future in the area IMO. The university brings a level of diversity not typical of cities that size in the rural South. Some national/regional chains that previously had no area presence, like HomeGoods, Chipotle, At Home, and Publix, have opened in Johnson City, but nowhere else in the region. Johnson City seems to be attracting at least the more affluent transplants and locals. Personally, I think Johnson City is in a far superior location than Bristol or Kingsport, having closer access to the Unicoi County mountains and western NC/Asheville, and avoids the proximity to poor areas of southwest VA that drag down Kingsport and Bristol, to an extent.

I don't it expect to remain fully the same, but "the same," especially in Kingsport and Bristol (to a point), was not working well.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
East TN has its problems, but is far, far superior to anything in southeast KY.

Johnson City has by far the brightest future in the area IMO. The university brings a level of diversity not typical of cities that size in the rural South. Some national/regional chains that previously had no area presence, like HomeGoods, Chipotle, At Home, and Publix, have opened in Johnson City, but nowhere else in the region. Johnson City seems to be attracting at least the more affluent transplants and locals. Personally, I think Johnson City is in a far superior location than Bristol or Kingsport, having closer access to the Unicoi County mountains and western NC/Asheville, and avoids the proximity to poor areas of southwest VA that drag down Kingsport and Bristol, to an extent.

I don't it expect to remain fully the same, but "the same," especially in Kingsport and Bristol (to a point), was not working well.

We entertained the idea of the Ashland and Morehead areas of Kentucky, but I have an oil royalty that has been in my family for a long time. It usually amounts to less than $10K, but it would be taxed as income anyway by the state and local governments there. No need to do that if I can get a place I already like in the several visits in E Tn. We have an appointment on the 20th to meet with a realtor out of Dandridge to discuss the Eastern Unicoi county area. Then the next two to three days are set aside to drive through Unicoi, Carter, and Johnson counties again. Will stay in the hotel by the airport so we will get the feel of the JC/Kingsport/Bristol area after a few years of being away. So you are thinking we should just pass on the Midway and Surgoinsville areas?

Old 12-05-2021, 11:40 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Dandridge to Unicoi County is about an hour and a half away. Midway is rural - not exactly bad. There are better places to live than Hawkins County.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Dandridge to Unicoi County is about an hour and a half away. Midway is rural - not exactly bad. There are better places to live than Hawkins County.
Do you know a realtor that handles that area of eastern Unicoi county? I have someone in Mountain City but she does Carter and Johnson- and she is not in during the week we are there.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
ALL - Mod Note: We have Deleted two posts that contain Real estate links. These are strictly prohibited. Please do NOT post Real Estate Links or recommendations. We do not want to have to close this thread. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2021, 03:39 PM

My apologies for requesting realtors. That's on me. Not sure if someone could DM a person or not. If so good. If not then this thread gets blown to atomic dust.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:15 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
My apologies for requesting realtors. That's on me. Not sure if someone could DM a person or not. If so good. If not then this thread gets blown to atomic dust.
No worries. Realtors are NOT allowed to DM members on City-Data. If that occurs please let a Moderator know. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,245 times
Quote:
If an area is not growing, it is stagnant, and with stagnation comes decline.

This area has, for far too long, been stuck in neutral, or going in reverse. That is finally starting to change over the last few years, especially in Johnson City. There is some clear momentum toward getting more amenities, higher end retail/grocers/restaurants, etc., instead of having to go to Asheville or Knoxville for any of these things.

I, for one, am glad to see the growth.
There is a clear difference between steady, sustainable growth, and what is happening in Ashville, for instance. As an 8th generation East Tennessean, I'm fine with being stuck in neutral. I suppose progress-at-all-costs is more important than maintaining your culture and the character of an area. There are plenty of soulless "anywhere America" suburban areas around the country with loads of high-end amenities if that's what you're after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol