Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 10:18 AM

6,630 posts, read 4,296,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychast View Post
There is a clear difference between steady, sustainable growth, and what is happening in Ashville, for instance. As an 8th generation East Tennessean, I'm fine with being stuck in neutral. I suppose progress-at-all-costs is more important than maintaining your culture and the character of an area. There are plenty of soulless "anywhere America" suburban areas around the country with loads of high-end amenities if that's what you're after.
We drove over to Johnson City last year. Very surprised at all the boarded up buildings downtown and how rundown it looked. I imagine there is growth elsewhere..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 08:53 AM

35,059 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We drove over to Johnson City last year. Very surprised at all the boarded up buildings downtown and how rundown it looked. I imagine there is growth elsewhere..
Downtown Johnson City has way too many buildings for what the downtown can currently realistically support. Many need toward down and the whole area needs a "rightsizing."

Downtown development started to really take off in 2014-2016, but it went backwards with COVID, and is just now regaining some previous momentum.

Five years ago, there was talk about downtown JC eventually rivaling Asheville or Greenville, but that was incredibly premature, in hindsight.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:54 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Downtown Johnson City has way too many buildings for what the downtown can currently realistically support. Many need toward down and the whole area needs a "rightsizing."

Downtown development started to really take off in 2014-2016, but it went backwards with COVID, and is just now regaining some previous momentum.

Five years ago, there was talk about downtown JC eventually rivaling Asheville or Greenville, but that was incredibly premature, in hindsight.
This is on point. The downtown region has really been drained of businesses, residents and retail over the years.

As you mentioned, it was doing really well up until about 2018 or 2019, then the decline started happening again. COVID just really wiped out that momentum it gained during the early two thousand teens.

I think Johnson City is WAY behind both Asheville or Greenville, and agree that outlook was incredibly premature. Both Asheville & Greenville have good sized high-rises/skyscrapers downtown, major hotel/major bar/restaurants, major corporations and an overall "vibrant" vibe to their downtowns that JC simply lacks.

Johnson City's overall downtown looks and feels like a town of maybe 30-40k or so in population. Most of Johnson City's areas in which it shines are the suburban regions where there are lots of rolling hills with shopping, restaurants, retail, nice apartments and single family homes and an upper middle class type of nice scale of living.

In the immediate region, Bristol's downtown is head and shoulders above Johnson City's, and -- dare I say -- Kingsport's is also much nicer in terms of cleanliness, layout/density and overall aesthetics. Kingsport just lacks that cool component to get a trendier crowd down there.

As you had mentioned in another thread, I do think folks move to JC to experience this suburban/semi-rural smaller region lifestyle, and downtown is sort of an afterthought, unfortunately.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 8,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychast View Post
There is a clear difference between steady, sustainable growth, and what is happening in Ashville, for instance. As an 8th generation East Tennessean, I'm fine with being stuck in neutral. I suppose progress-at-all-costs is more important than maintaining your culture and the character of an area. There are plenty of soulless "anywhere America" suburban areas around the country with loads of high-end amenities if that's what you're after.
Thanks for this info - we are looking in E TN as well and are interested in the JC area and Cookeville area - to move in about a year or so. We are retired, in our 60s and would love a Quiet subdivision - house - within about 15 min to town for groceries. Good medical and a vibrant town. Any advice on where to focus on quiet subdivisions or areas to avoid in 10-15 minutes drive of JC? Please DM me with any info! Many thanks for your time!

Old 11-29-2022, 04:07 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
If I wanted something quiet within 15 minutes of JC, I would avoid North Johnson City as well as anywhere on the 11-E corridor. Those areas were booming and had bad traffic even when I moved away back in 2012.

I would look first at homes around Willow Springs Park, or if you want further out, down towards Cherokee all the way down to Lamar (intersection of 107 Highway and SR-81). Very quick to central and south Johnson City, very quick to Jonesborough. The southern end of this valley (Lamar area) is also very quick to I-26 via 107 over to Erwin.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:01 AM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFL View Post
Thanks for this info - we are looking in E TN as well and are interested in the JC area and Cookeville area - to move in about a year or so. We are retired, in our 60s and would love a Quiet subdivision - house - within about 15 min to town for groceries. Good medical and a vibrant town. Any advice on where to focus on quiet subdivisions or areas to avoid in 10-15 minutes drive of JC? Please DM me with any info! Many thanks for your time!
You need to go visit Upper East TN for yourself and drive around. A year out is a bit far in advance IMO. Given the state of the world, who knows where we'll be 'in a year or so.' Get a relocation guide or retirement guide (the state sends those out).
Where do you live now? New Hampshire in the summer and FL in the winter?

Old 11-30-2022, 09:07 AM

Couldn't agree more. I loved the steadiness that I saw in many of the Upper East TN communities I visited. People did not seem overly concerned with what some consider 'progress' and were happy with their lives. Growth was discussed and often, as you could probably guess, locals said that the outsiders moving in were the ones complaining about the lack of some amenity or another and wanting to change the place.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:12 PM

35,059 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Couldn't agree more. I loved the steadiness that I saw in many of the Upper East TN communities I visited. People did not seem overly concerned with what some consider 'progress' and were happy with their lives. Growth was discussed and often, as you could probably guess, locals said that the outsiders moving in were the ones complaining about the lack of some amenity or another and wanting to change the place.
You could look at this either way.

Property prices have rocketed up, but wages, unless you're talking about folks at the bottom of the ladder, like fast food and retail workers, have been mostly stagnant.

My property has gone up ~50% in value at nearly 3% higher interest rate than when I bought it in late 2019. My wages have gone up about 10% as a white collar professional.

This isn't sustainable. It's not like this area is getting tons of out of area moneyed interest, or that there has been a bettering of the local economy to justify higher prices.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You could look at this either way.

Property prices have rocketed up, but wages, unless you're talking about folks at the bottom of the ladder, like fast food and retail workers, have been mostly stagnant.

My property has gone up ~50% in value at nearly 3% higher interest rate than when I bought it in late 2019. My wages have gone up about 10% as a white collar professional.

This isn't sustainable. It's not like this area is getting tons of out of area moneyed interest, or that there has been a bettering of the local economy to justify higher prices.
I agree about how we look at a situation or maybe better, looking at it from different angles.

Would I be correct in guessing that an influx of people during the pandemic or those fleeing high tax blue states influenced housing prices? I believe that is what happened here. I moved here from CA 20 yrs ago. We needed out of there. But I have heard of many CAians moving to your neck of the woods. People with resources to purchase higher priced homes and, probably, decent pensions to live on.

Where I am, similar things are happening. We have a wobbly local economy, IMO, with few good/high paying jobs. (I worked for the fed here and made a decent wage with benefits - I am now retired - of course, I couldn't live on that retirement! I cobble that together with another pension from my first 'career'). Many locals, once out of school, relocate to other states with more economic opportunity and more affordable housing prices, or even just more choices. And better weather. LOL.

We do have amenities, though. Good grocery stores, good restaurants, outdoor recreation galore, and fairly decent medical care, IMO. Not much culture, but we could travel for that. I see things going downhill, frankly, with an increasing aged population (that would be me), difficulties with staffing in many places (because of housing prices) and people with resources moving out. We'll see what happens in the coming year.

Best of luck to you. I hope we can all successfully navigate the challenges we face.

Old 12-08-2022, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 8,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I agree about how we look at a situation or maybe better, looking at it from different angles.
Where I am, similar things are happening. We have a wobbly local economy, IMO, with few good/high paying jobs. (I worked for the fed here and made a decent wage with benefits - I am now retired - of course, I couldn't live on that retirement! I cobble that together with another pension from my first 'career'). Many locals, once out of school, relocate to other states with more economic opportunity and more affordable housing prices, or even just more choices. And better weather. LOL.

We do have amenities, though. Good grocery stores, good restaurants, outdoor recreation galore, and fairly decent medical care, IMO. Not much culture, but we could travel for that. I see things going downhill, frankly, with an increasing aged population (that would be me), difficulties with staffing in many places (because of housing prices) and people with resources moving out. We'll see what happens in the coming year.

Best of luck to you. I hope we can all successfully navigate the challenges we face.
Thank you for this info. I'm just catching up with these posts. What do you mean by better weather? We're considering a move to JC in about a year or more...I know...a bit premature...but I'm a bit disorganized and need to think of things long before a move. WE have only moved twice and once was out of a camper! LOL.

a major reason is from FL and the humidity...long spells...does JC get that same lengthy humidity? What area would you point to investigate further? We like quiet at night, no HOAs, near medical and groceries within 10 min or so, but quiet. I know, the wishlist of everyone! LOL our budget will be about 300k depending on selling in a year or so. We love mountains coming from NH and this will be our final move. We are planning a visit this winter sometime but not sure yet. I guess this is a bit premature but as I said, I need lots to investigate first! Thank you for your time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol