Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 07:14 PM

8 posts, read 9,911 times

Advertisements

Let me just sidestep the issue of whether Arbery was lynched, and just say that I think it is valid for minorities to remain suspicious, even these days. I know it happened in GA, but it reflects badly on the South. Eastern Tennessee probably doesn't deserve to be blamed for what some individuals did in GA though, but still I was just feeling out the area, and in this forum I have read some old posts that led me to believe that minorities might have issues in the area (posts like 10+ years old). Specifically, as related to my situation, I have read about some anti race mixing sentiment. The high religiosity is also something I was concerned about, but doesn't seem to be a big deal since it can be ignored.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:10 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememind View Post
Let me just sidestep the issue of whether Arbery was lynched, and just say that I think it is valid for minorities to remain suspicious, even these days. I know it happened in GA, but it reflects badly on the South. Eastern Tennessee probably doesn't deserve to be blamed for what some individuals did in GA though, but still I was just feeling out the area, and in this forum I have read some old posts that led me to believe that minorities might have issues in the area (posts like 10+ years old). Specifically, as related to my situation, I have read about some anti race mixing sentiment. The high religiosity is also something I was concerned about, but doesn't seem to be a big deal since it can be ignored.
I'm not going to get into a long, drawn out racial discussion. With that said, I don't think most people in this region "care" about race that much. Granted, it's 90%+ non Hispanic White, so perspectives outside of that milieu are going to be limited, but that's from limited exposure, not hatred or outright racism.

I used to live in in Indiana, but I'm originally from here. I couldn't believe the racial rhetoric I heard in public in Indiana, and it was far, far worse than anything I've ever heard in the South. I've also lived in upstate SC for awhile. Girlfriend lives near Asheville, so I split time between here and there. I've lived in southwest VA. The racism I saw in IN far eclipsed anything in the South. Of course there are racists here, but you can find people like that anywhere. Most people are simply trying to put food on the table and have a decent lifestyle for their families.

I'm no apologist for this area. It has a lot of problems. Sure, if you want to hear how bad racial relations are, go listen to Dani Cook's podcasts, but I don't think complainants like her reflect general local minority sentiment, at all. She has various axes to grind.

The religiosity is an issue, but most people will move on if you politely tell them that you aren't interested in their church. Probably 20%-30% of the population here are somewhere along the agnostic to atheist continuum, though it isn't flown as a badge of honor.

I'm a mostly Republican voting atheist. I don't fit the neat, stereotypical boxes. I make it alright here, though I certainly don't agree with a lot of the political views.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the insight.

Do you know if the nonwhites are congregated in an enclave or dispersed throughout the area? I imagine they are more concentrated in the urban areas, but I wonder if in a particular location (maybe as a result of redlining or merely affinity for one another). I assume the diversity is higher nearer to ETSU.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:52 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Safe? Yes. Happy? That's for you to judge.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I have a stepson who has a couple of Asian friends in Johnson City and to my knowledge, there is not a problem with what color their skin is. I don't see why it would be. Johnson City has people from all over, especially at ETSU.
As far as church is concerned, be prepared to be asked what church you attend. That's what everyone used to ask me.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol